Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Scion > tC
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
hollywood13185
AF Newbie

help CAI question

When someone says a cold air intake is crap are they talken about the filter? I dont see what affect the piping would have if it had a decent filter. Say an injen intake system for like $200 or a Bomz piping with a K&N filter, If someone could tell me what affect the piping has on the system thatd be great thanks.
hollywood13185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:17 PM   #2
emitt22
AF Newbie

Re: help CAI question

Something without an airbox or a direct intake for external air will usually be considered crap. I find that most cai don't improve performance unless they are properly set up, maintained, and quality. The main thing to look for when you are purchasing an air intake is to measure the previous piping from the stock intake and make sure that the diameter of the new piping matches the OEM pipes. If you're good with tuning or have somewhere to dyno and tune, I would stay with the same size, as it may not require tuning depending on the filter. If you have a high rate of flow filter and larger piping than OEM you will 100% want to get it tuned, as it will run lean and the Ecu will not be able to compensate. Make sure that your engine bay has plenty of air however, because when you have no airbox, you not only will be burning recycled air, but it could also hinder performance depending on outside temps, and other factors.
PS stay away from cai that don't have a MAS (mass airflow sensor) input. good luck!
emitt22 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Scion > tC