Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars > Model A Fords
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Model A Fords Talk about classic Ford Model A
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
Bob1942
AF Newbie

Model A VAPOR LOCK ?

It was really hot yesterday and sunny ... I took the A out for a spin and after a few miles it began to run rough I opened the hood the engine was really hot ! ... The water in the radiator was ok ...I returned home no problem but it did not run smooth like it normally does adjusting the mixture did not help the engine sounds like it is not getting enough fuel ... I let it cool for a few minutes and started it again and it was nice and smooth no problem ... I am wondering what is the most likely reason for the rough running engine in my Model A on a really hot day ? Can a Model A have vapor lock ? or fuel boiling in the carburetor ? BOB
Bob1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Bob1942
AF Newbie

Re: Model A VAPOR LOCK ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1942
It was really hot yesterday and sunny ... I took the A out for a spin and after a few miles it began to run rough I opened the hood the engine was really hot ! ... The water in the radiator was ok ...I returned home no problem but it did not run smooth like it normally does adjusting the mixture did not help the engine sounds like it is not getting enough fuel ... I let it cool for a few minutes and started it again and it was nice and smooth no problem ... I am wondering what is the most likely reason for the rough running engine in my Model A on a really hot day ? Can a Model A have vapor lock ? or fuel boiling in the carburetor ? BOB
Update to the rough running ... I remembered this occurs when I stop for a traffic light or stop sign ... I recently met a guy with a 29 four door he had slit a piece of rubber tubing and fastened it over the steel fuel line to the carburetor ... "Whats that for I said ? " he replied that on a very hot day when you stop at a stop sign the engine goes to idle and there is not enough fuel flowing in the carburetor to cool it properly then the fuel in the fuel bowl on the carburetor can boil making the engine run very rough ! the tubing was to keep the fuel cool ! in the fuel line and hopefully prevent this ...Well I now have a piece of tubing installed on my fuel line to the carburetor to see if this helps ...I used the opaque white tubing 3/8 inch diameter with the cloth woven in it that I had laying around ...I cut the tubing down the side in a spiral with a box knife (no easy task )and wrapped it around the fuel line to insulate it ...Can't hurt and it will come off real easy later ... BOB
Bob1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396
Re: Model A VAPOR LOCK ?

Yeah, you got vapor lock. The gasoline boils in the line or carb and will usually stall it out and not run until it cools to a point.

The insulation should work, I saw an old timer in a pinch insulate the fuel line with a bunch of wooden spring clothes pins clamped to it.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars > Model A Fords