Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Transit
Transit The original tradesman van and perfect for robbing banks.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
parkerb
AF Regular

lets get it started; transit connect

i asked for this forum so i may as well make a post in it. my understanding is that in the UK there is the transit. however in the states we got the transit connect, a very small van based on the focus chassis? 2L I4 w/ a 4 speed auto?

anyone own one able to give impressions? is this your first van, or did you have a windstar, e-series, etc.?

i've got 2 cargo windstars that have done fine by me. when i think of replacing them i don't look forward to either the e-150 or TC. the e-series needs a complete overhaul, and the TC seems to be geared more towards city life with the 4 speed and 15" wheels. and how is fit and finish with the cargo units being "prepared" once they land over here off the boat?
parkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
number22
AF Newbie

Re: lets get it started; transit connect

The sub-forum should be named properly with Transit Connect. Anyway, my transit connect(cargo, XLT) has 100k miles on it already, I am putting K&N oil(HP-1002) and air(KN33-2436) filter in it, maintaining it regularly(replacing brake pads, tires). so far so good, no big problem yet. OEM parts are too expensive.

I used to drive Chevy Astro(cargo,V6,4.3L), for my use, I only carry 800lbs to 1300lbs for my trips, so TC(I4, 2.0L) is very suitable for me, saving me money on gas comparing to Astro. I wish we have diesel engine option here.

Last edited by number22; 09-09-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling
number22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Mitsutech
AF Newbie

We have both the Transit and the Transit Connect here in the UK.
Mitsutech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
LostInTransit
AF Newbie

Overall Impressions Of The Transit Connect

I guess this a review of sort.. but we (the wife and myself) have been very pleased with our 2015 Ford Transit Connect XL SWB. Although there aren't any creature comforts in this van other than the seats are very comfortable and we opted for the power windows. Because of current gas prices.. the van have been performing extremely well and one reason it's doing so well could be due to having a better set of tires and rims.

The only real mistake we've made so far, is purchasing the wrong tire size. We ended up with 215/55/16 Maxxis tires. After installing the Sparco wheels and Maxxis tires, we feel that we could have went slightly larger on the tires. Maybe the 225/55/16's. There seem to be enough clearance in this respect. So at the time we need new tires.. we again may option for the slightly larger Maxxis tires.

At one point we wanted to turn this little ugly duckling of a van into an overlander, with small additions to create that off road look.. But things change and although we still have many ideas for the van, we're perfectly content leaving it as is for the time being. but this could change within the next few months.

A couple of things we recommend Transit Connect owners do, is to purchase the K&N air filter. We found that the life time filter not only saves us some cash from having to buy a replacement every 10K miles.. and this alone is rather unnerving, because I'm so use to change the oil every 5K miles, not 10K. the filter added a few horse, toque and even seem to add a few more miles, which was odd. The simply drop in filter is all that's needed.

The van has been getting great gas mileage and is comfortable on long trips, even though we think we would enjoy a center console arm rest better than the single flip version which is standard on the cargo van option.

Lastly, There aren't many after market parts suppliers who want to create products for our van, so If you run into an issue where you're looking to purchase something for the van, you may have to search elsewhere. it pays to be creative and think outside the box when it comes to adding parts or accessories to this van which was never meant to be a personal carrier.

If we were given a chance to do at all over again.. we would have opted for the double doors instead of the lift gate. Reason here is that we do not like the spare tire under the van. and having the double doors would have allowed for a spare tire mount on one of these doors.. just fits the overlander aspect.

Last edited by LostInTransit; 02-29-2016 at 10:02 AM.
LostInTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

2010 TC will turn 300K this week.

Trans fluid & filter changed every 36K miles, engine oil & filter every 4K miles. Not a lick of trouble with either one. 1600 pound capacity: had 1500 in it once. Had to pull over to let a guy pass me, in his wheelchair. Countless cooling system leaks and overheating issues: Thermostats, cooling fans, resistors, water pump, hoses, manifold on rear of cylinder head, plastic melted, NOOO. HVAC blower works great, when temps are between 60F and 70F. Don't really need the blower then, but it works great. Get to -10F or 90F and you might just stay there. Front wheel bearings replaced every 80K miles, like clockwork. Yup, bearings straight from the Ford dealer. Rear brake self adjusters are worthless, all 3 sets of them. As a result, low brake pedal and the front brakes wear out quickly. Seat can be adjusted up, down, back, forth, tilted any way you can imagine, backrest same thing, but at the end of the day, you're still sitting on cement blocks, horrible seats. Can't see driver outside mirror: window track is perfectly centered in the mirror. All in all, I'm surprised it made it 300K miles, but there's something to be said for that.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

300K that quickly! That's a number of miles for so few years. And; "not a lick of trouble" ...? LOL?

My daughter has bought her first "new" vehicle ... a used (20K miles) seven passenger Connect Titanium that had been in lease service. She's a happy camper so far. Seems to be a very practical ride. I borrowed it for a one-day road trip with grand kids. Seemed OK. A bit noisy. Perhaps that was the kids ....

I would like a 12 passenger (big) Transit. My seven passenger Windstar is a bit long in tooth ... and sometimes can't hold enough folks. But the money ..... Ugh!
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

It is still driven 5 days a week. 355K miles on it now. Still gets 27MPG. Still carries 1200+ pounds everyday, (had 1700 pounds a couple of times this week). It still sees 1K+ miles a week, and still "not a lick of trouble" with the engine or transaxle. Everything else needs constant maintenance though LOL, (on its 5th set of front wheel bearings). This Transit Connect has a solid rear axle suspension with shocks, not the el cheapo piece of crap rear suspension that the Focus and Fusion's have.