Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Super Duty
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
diehard150
AF Newbie

Multiple steering columns problems

Ok lets start with the facts, It's a 1993 F-450 XLT 7.3 Non-turbo Auto with steering column issues, such as No cruise, Wipers occasionally wont shut off unless you pull over and shut off the engine down, then restart. And as of recently I loaned out my truck to a good friend and it came back with no turn signals, I check the flasher and replaced it, I get emgencey flasher but no turn flashing. I did notice that he did tilt the wheel up, In which I put it back down...I cant imagine that doing it. The shifter on the column has always been a spur in my side, cause you got to push up on it , then turn the key to get it to start

My thoughts are to replace the whole column hoping all issues go with it. I own a Haynes manual, and that's about useless when it come to column removal. This is my work truck and I'm self employed. Its got a three yard dump box on it...and its done me well at 356,000 miles (thats what you get with fresh oil changes and filters)...Someone please throw me a bone!

Last edited by diehard150; 12-01-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: forgot one other issue related to topic
diehard150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
big white bufflo
AF Regular

Re: Multiple steering columns problems

te blinker and the wiper sw is all one there not hard to replace if you look under there you will see the plug in for all of that on the top of the colume remove the steering wheel and lock plate unplug the electical pull the assy through the colume and slide the new one in place the shifter problem is a linkage adjustment to take the play out of all the years of use
big white bufflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
diehard150
AF Newbie

After reviewing the fuse panel and checking fuses, I noticed that I had a 25A in the place of a 15A for the blinkers. I believe this may have allowed to much juice threw the wiring and I hoping that it didnt fry a few wires, I'm not sure, But I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to loan out any vehicles anymore. I know its the age rather then use of it, but I also know how to use my truck.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
diehard150
AF Newbie

It's been said many time that if you ask god for help you'll get it. The trick is to just wait and listen for it. I don't mean listen in the sense that you'll hear it, more like you'll feel it, Anyway while standing in the wrecking yard looking at a steering column that appears worst then mine for $150 bucks, I had a gut feeling that I should take a few more moments looking at everything again and not purchase the column. I hadn't noticed that the electrical harness for the turn signal had a few zip ties on it, What the heck. The male connection had been split, This was part of the main harness and I could see why you'd rig it. One of the wires for the signal had come loose. I did the best I could do to repair it. During re-assembly I had also noticed that a bushing for the column shifter had slipped out and previously been installed backwards which was extremely loose and had to be held up with one hand and the other had to turn the key. Problem solved.
After doing this job I see why the Haynes manual didn't have this in their book.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
big white bufflo
AF Regular

well you learned something today now and save a ton of money in the process
big white bufflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
diehard150
AF Newbie

Quote: