Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
trick tee
AF Newbie

Angry wat is the problem

If anybody that had this problem pleez give me sum help I have 96 caprice wit a 4.3 v-8 looks juz like a lt-1 but neway I was driving it one day and the car started to choke out like it wasent getting gas and It stalled out wouldn't start up so I left it awhile came back and changed the fuel filter it started up I drove it damn near home car stalled out again so I Thot it was the fuel pump so I had the tank dropped and had a brand new one put in and the car started and ran for a half of day I shut it off tried to start it up but it didn't I notice there is no humm sound from fuel pump wen turn the key so I had the tank dropped again and replaced the pump a second time cuz I thot I got a bad one well a buddy of mines who know a lil bout cars. he suggested that I check and replace fuel pump fuses and relays so I did that and still no sound from fuel pump and car still didnt start so he took the tank back down a third time and used a test light to check and see if power is going back there and there is and the fuel pump still aint working I'm lost on this problem wtf!
trick tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: wat is the problem

Check for spark. If no spark, pump won't get the signal engine is turning over and pump fuel.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

If you still have the old relay, carefully remove the plastic cover. Place the relay back into the socket in the UEC and manually actuate its armature to close the contacts. With the engine off, you should be able to hear the pump running and measure fuel pressure.

If this works, you can consider the pump and all it power wiring to be intact, and focus on the control side, including the ignition reference as aleekat suggested, and the PCM and its wiring.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Might I add to check the ground path circuit for good connections and wiring.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Disconnect harness at tank.....attach a test light, not a voltmeter, to the fuel pump circuit on the half of the connector going away from the tank, not the one to the tank....now turn the key to on....test light should come on for 2 seconds and then go out.....now crank vehicle....the light should be on for as long as you crank.....

If the test light test is ok, and you have no fuel pressure at the rail, with the tank connected, you need a fuel pump.....

If the test light does not light, it is not the pump.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

what you do is use a volt meter and measure for voltage at the external fuel pump connector for about 12 volts. the best way to do this is to use the under hood prime connector and apply a fused wire to this terminal. this will keep the pump running / 12 volts to the rear fuel pump connector. then you can use the volt meter to see where your loosing the 12 volts to the fuel pump.. the driver side in trunk connectors get burned up often also the ground for the pump is by the driver side trunk hinge. good luck ....
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice