Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
beepbeepph
AF Newbie

Things To Consider Before Buying a Vehicle

Considering the benefits of purchasing a car, a lot of people are thinking of purchasing one. However, there's a lot of things to consider before buying a car.

For me, some things to consider would be the budget, lifestyle, needs, car's fuel efficiency and the car's usage cost. Knowing this basis well help me determine what vehicle to buy. What do you think of this? Feel free to comment on your thoughts and if there are other things you are considering. Your comments are highly appreciated.
beepbeepph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beepbeepph For This Useful Post:
AAATrucks (04-02-2020)
Old 10-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
Car Health
AF Newbie

Re: Things To Consider Before Buying a Vehicle

Here are 10 tips and strategies for making sure you get the best-quality vehicle at the lowest price.

1. Think about financing
Prior to visiting any dealership, have a sense of what kind of deposit you can put down and what monthly payment you can afford. It also helps to do some research on available auto loans to get a sense of what you qualify for. Or try a service like AutoGravity, which allows you to select rates and terms that fit your budget and then obtain offers from lenders.

2. Check your credit score
Knowing your credit score can be helpful as well. Justin Lavelle, chief communications officer for BeenVerified, says, “Having a good idea of your credit report and credit score and the interest rates available can help you negotiate a good deal and save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.”

3. Shop around
Research the cars you might be interested in before you head to a dealership, rather than going in unprepared. To determine what kind of car you want, use resources like US News Best Cars, where you can search anything from “best cars for families” to “best used cars under 10k.” Another resource is Autotrader, which can be used to search new and used cars in your area by make, model, price, body style, and more.

4. Compare prices
Lavelle also stresses getting detailed pricing info in advance: “Price the car at different dealerships and use online services to get invoice and deal pricing.” A reliable tool is Kelley Blue Book. Use the site’s car value tool to find out the MSRP and the dealer invoice of a car as well as a range of prices you can expect to see at dealerships. TrueCar is also helpful to use. You can search for and request pricing on any make, model, or year of car. You may get a slew of phone calls, emails, and texts from dealers immediately after, but having information from different dealerships can help you negotiate prices. You should also visit dealer sites to look for rebate offers.

5. Research your trade-in’s value
If you have a trade-in, don’t wait for the salesperson to tell you what it’s worth. On Kelley Blue Book, you can get a sense of the value ahead of time so you know if you’re receiving a good offer. Or try the Kelley Blue Book Instant Cash Offer feature, where dealers will give you a guaranteed price for a trade, eliminating complicated haggling at the dealership.

6. Test drive potential purchases
You may want to pass on the test drive if you’re familiar with a particular make and model, but Lavelle recommends taking the time to do it anyway. “It is a good idea to inspect the car and give it a good test drive just to make sure all is working and there are no noticeable squeaks, rattles, or shimmies that could cause you headaches after your purchase,” he says.

7. Look at car histories
Before selecting dealerships to visit, search for consumer reviews so you can avoid having a bad experience. However, Lavelle warns that just because a car sits on a reputable, well-reviewed lot does not necessarily mean that the car is issue-free. So he recommends digging deeper, especially for used cars. “Services like CARFAX represent that they can tell you about the car’s life from first purchase forward, so that might be a good place to start,” he says. He also recommends checking the title, which you can do online via the DMV.

8. Find repair records
In addition to checking the repair history on the specific car you are interested in, Autotrader suggests looking up the repair record of the make and model. “Check J.D. Power and Consumer Reports reliability ratings to see if the vehicle you’re considering is known to be a reliable one,” the site states. It also recommends Internet forums and word of mouth.

9. Spring for an inspection
Autotrader also suggests telling the seller you require an inspection from a mechanic before purchase to ensure there aren’t any problems. “While a mechanic may charge $100 or more for such an inspection, it can be worth it if it saves you from thousands of dollars in potential repairs,” it recommends. Some sellers may try to dismiss a mechanic’s inspection. Don’t give in — the seller could be covering up a serious issue with the car. Insist an inspection is done, or rethink your purchase.

10. Know your rights
For any new or used car, take the time to get familiar with the warranty package and return policies. Do you need to supplement the warranty? Is there a lemon law in your state? Currently, there are only six states that have one, so be sure to check.
Car Health is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Car Health For This Useful Post:
Borissiomin (05-01-2020), jacinda (03-24-2020), JonasM (06-01-2020), juanlien (04-28-2020), mell417 (08-24-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
HarrisJrld
AF Newbie

I might be on the minority here, but I rank the looks of the car and how I like it on the same level as fuel efficiency and other "mainstream" criteria. I'd hate myself driving a car that looks like poop.
HarrisJrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Here's the best write up on buying a new vehicle that I have ever seen. Entertaining, too.

Having your own financing is good, sometimes nowadays you can get a better deal by taking their financing up front, then switching to yours depending on interest rate.

https://www.4runners.com/threads/so-...-4runner.3318/

Happy shopping!
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
lamborghiniurus
AF Newbie

most importantly the hidden cost of owning a car. premium cars are more expensive overall. Insurance, mileage, repair, age etc. all plays in.
lamborghiniurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #6
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Never buy a new vehicle.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #7
speeedtrust
AF Newbie

My question now is if people are buying cars now knowing there is covid19. Before this we would think of the performance of the car, for me it is also mostly the reviews of that model, and most especially fuel efficiency. Oh and also safety features.
speeedtrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

buy with your heart and you will love it and forgive it any shortcomings. Buy with your head and you will always wonder and worry you bought second best,
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
fuelcheck
AF Newbie

Two things I would like to discuss here, insurance costs and extended warranty.

Do your due diligence in determining the costs involved in insuring your car. Research the costs compared to other similar models. Search out the Institute for Highway Safety ratings on the model that interests you to see if their score of the car will cost you money in owning it.

Now, for my own PET PEEVE, extended warranties.......
An Extended Warranty is a contract and a negotiable instrument. It is for sale. By that, I mean that although the warranty is written between you and the dealership, it does not have to remain with the dealership. It can be sold to a third party without your approval. Then it can be sold again......and again......and again.....until it is owned by the weakest hands, someone who is incapable of making repairs to your car or who refuses to. I was a victim of such a situation, after purchasing a 1986 Honda Accord new from the dealership. No more extended warranties for me, I'll take my chances.

One more thing. Do not go into the dealership and sit in a booth with a salesperson trying to negotiate a price. You cannot win at this game and will end up frustrated and even mad. Go to the local Credit Union and sit down with the car buyer there. Explain what you want and how much you are willing to pay for the car that is for sale down at Blank Auto Sales. Let him do the negotiating for you, which he will do for free because he wants to finance the purchase for you. You will end up with a check from the Credit Union, made out to the dealership for the exact amount that you agree to and will not be subjected to the maddening custom of having to sit with the "Finance Manager" after you have agreed to a purchase price.
fuelcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #10
famlycar
AF Regular

Some good info here from Jonah and Fuel chick and others. Is it legal to sell a car that was under water in a flood? Will it still be drive able? How are flooded cars repaired?
I wonder if it is good to buy a electric hybrid car cause it has so many batteries under the seats. I agree with the credit union car purchase tho as dealerships are more talk and no action. Long conversations but none about the car. Our corolla is still going strong and it only had one engine lite reading in over 300,000 miles. So, I wonder about those ox sensors actually going bad or made to come on at a certain # of miles by the mfr.
famlycar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General