Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
akboss
AF Regular

Nissan test drive event

I just participated in a Nissan test drive event in Toronto where they had the entire 2010 lineup available for test drive, just wondered if anybody else on here had a chance to do this and any perceptions from it. Having never owned or really had a chance to drive Nissan's, I was eager to take their lineup on a closed course test track and see if their 'performance DNA' was a bunch of BS or if they actually had some character.

The best car out there was obviously the 370Z, that is a beautiful machine. Even on a rain-soaked track the day we drove, it gripped hard on acceleration and never faulted in the corners. This was my first chance to flog a RWD car (embarassing, I know) but it was so much fun getting the back out around the sharp corners. Everything about it felt sharp and dialed-in, where a Camaro or Mustang feels like a blunt instrument, this was the scalpel.

Cube - Awesome, just because it's so different and interesting. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, but at this price range you won't find anything else quite like it.

Versa - Thoroughly disappointing. I keep hearing about how well this chassis handles, apparently mine was broken. I drove a car with the 6-speed manual, and it felt like it was outperformed by the Sentra and the Cube, even with CVT autos. Pedal travel on the brakes felt like I was going to push through the floor, the tall stance that aids in visibility takes away in corners, and the buzzy motor was just too strung out to enjoy.

Sentra - Surprisingly agile, I liked this car. The loaded model has a great stereo, large sunroof, nice controls and materials, and acceleration/handling was better than I had expected out of an almost base model sedan.

Altima - Big, cushy, boring.

Maxima - Big, cushy, awesome, a very impressive drive. The suspension on this car was up to the task of making easy work of the corners, even if it had a hint of body lean. The ride was responsive but never harsh, and the interior is gorgeous. More sporting pretensions that the Acura TL's I've driven.

Roge - The most disappointing of the day. I figured in wet weather the AWD might be useful, it wasn't. All of the FWD cars handled the course better, the suspension was sloppy and the body roll was atrocious. Acceleration was flat, braking seemed strong but you never got going fast enough to really tell. Save the money, get a sport hatch.

Murano - A tall Japanese Buick. It has brisk pickup for its size, but was slower and sloppier than the Maxima, which handled the slippery course better than the AWD giant. Makes me wonder why people buy these boats, I felt like I was getting less behind the wheel of the Murano than the Maxima.

Overall I came away being impressed with Nissan's development in the small car segment. While the Maxima reminds you that you are driving a premium car, with soft leather, power features and more tech, a lot of the character comes across in the cheaper cars. The Sentra I drove had a similar steering wheel and controls to the more expensive cars in the lineup, and overall was very rewarding to drive. The new SE-R Spec V is getting a lot of criticism for being 'soft', I'd quite like to drive one anyway. I just hope it doesn't have the same 6-speed as the Versa!
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General