Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
GKR
AF Newbie

Q for Americans

Hey All.

I've posted before regarding comparisons but I've been delayed in coming to the States.

I'm a little lazy (read: useless) when it comes to internet research, so was wondering if you guys could help.

How much am I looking at for:

3.4L 996 Carrera
E39 M5 (Would want to do the exhaust and ECU and go for closer to 500hp)
E46 M3 (2000 - 2002 models)
Are Zo6 Vette's going for 40k or less second hand yet?

Basically after a second-hand car for no more than 40 grand.

Also I keep hearing lots of rumours about buying new in the States. More than 1 person has told me that dealers are practically giving new cars away to get them off the showroom floor. I've heard of 0% finance, no money down, and $1500 cash in the hand all on the same day just for buying new off them. Is there any truth in this? If so I may be looking at buying a new car.

Does anyone have good or bad opinions on the cars I've listed? Would anyone care to suggest others?

It'll be my first car when I arrive and I'll buy after a few months of being in Houston. Practicality may be a plus point for my first car (I'll have a collection later on which will include a big HP Mustang, a lightweight road/track machine and a stripped-out 911 - hopefully a GT3 if I can afford it). I love BMW's and have driven the M3 and found it to be a great car. Haven't driven the M5 but hear it's a good car - not as agile as the M3 but with a fantastic engine and great overall package, very nice for sliding around too (which I love ).

If the early 996's are in that price range I'd be tempted. Also may consider a 993 but I'm not too sure if I'd want to run the risk of a 993 for my first car (and a daily driver).

Has to be fun to drive, rear wheel drive, more sports than luxury but I do want a nice car (comfortable, good sound system etc).

Sorry for long post but any help appreciated.

T.
GKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
2turboimports
AF Regular

Re: Q for Americans

The financing is true, but only for cars that aren't that great...like kia, hyundai, mitsus (not the evolutions), ford trucks, etc. And your credit has to be PERFECT for the most part.

I beleive the new c6 vettes are in the 40's, and i'm sure second hand z06's are to be found in the 30's.

Your porsche carrera will not be in the 40's range.

Good luck with your search. Hope my reply helped a little.
2turboimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
peter i
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to peter i
If you love handling and control power ~

E46 M3 is the answer (once you owns it you 'll stick with it)
Old 05-24-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

The C5 corvettes are pretty good if you can live with the fact that every other guy 50+ has one.

Mods:
Engine: Comptech Air Intake Box, miscellanous chrome dress up pieces
Suspension: Comptech front strut tower bar
Exterior: Grillcraft grill, lots of wax
Interior: Rick's leather console cover, Muz one-piece luxury floormats, Rick's windscreen,
Electronics/Audio: Polk speakers
Wheels/tires: 18" SSR Competition wheels with 225/40 and 255/35 tires

clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:14 AM   #5
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Re: Re: Q for Americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer
The C5 corvettes are pretty good if you can live with the fact that every other guy 50+ has one.

I don't think the interior of the C5's will be what he wants though, everybody always complained about the plastic and such. I personally could care less if it was a Z06, the M3 will be slightly slower but much more luxurious compared to a C5.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:41 AM   #6
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

yea slightly slower than a base model c5, but he's asking about a Z06

while the interior is the same, the speed is light years difference with the Z06 running 12.4 in the 1320 compared to the base models low 13's.
sometimes speed can overcome luxury for people.
but if he's a little more into the interior of a vehicle than he is speed then i'd definatly get the m3, otherwise the Z06 is the baby to work with

as for the "everyone +50 has one" statement, (which is true) i see more M3's than i do Z06's, and porche's are pretty common round these parts also
Old 05-26-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
GKR
AF Newbie

Actually I'm 25 so I don't want a Caddy just yet, although I've driven enough crappy cars to want a nice interior for this car.
As far as speed goes, I'm happy enough with the M3's performance having driven it. I'll be adding a 600+hp car in a few years so speed isn't the only thing I'm looking for at the moment. If it'll drift in the dry then it's got enough power. This is why I'm slightly interested in the M5 as well.
ZO6 sounds tempting, but for what it is I think I could build a better car for less money. Basically for this car I'm looking for the best overall package. Speed is essential, but not the deciding factor.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
Vettribution
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Vettribution Send a message via Yahoo to Vettribution

I have seen almost new Z06's for 27k.. They raised the power from 385-405 HP and the one year they sold the 385 HP version happened to make everyone sell it cheaper used.. and usually with not crap for miles on it.
Major Mod: Garrett GT35R Turbo...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/811544.

Please... Come get some.
Vettribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Wait a few years to buy a used C6 Z06

New Z06
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR
Hey All.

I've posted before regarding comparisons but I've been delayed in coming to the States.

I'm a little lazy (read: useless) when it comes to internet research, so was wondering if you guys could help.

How much am I looking at for:

3.4L 996 Carrera
E39 M5 (Would want to do the exhaust and ECU and go for closer to 500hp)
E46 M3 (2000 - 2002 models)
Are Zo6 Vette's going for 40k or less second hand yet?

but I'm not too sure if I'd want to run the risk of a 993 for my first car (and a daily driver).
whoa whoa whoa... your FIRST CAR?

I don't recommend any of these cars as your first car. Especially not the 911's.

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:11 AM   #11
GKR
AF Newbie

Okay it's not my FIRST ever car, just the first car I'll get when I get to America. Actually my first will be a 240sx or a Miata to muck around in until I find a good enough version of whatever I decide on from the above list.

What I meant by the 993 as the my first car was whether it would be reliable/useable enough as a daily driver like the 996/M3/M5 would be,

I've taught performance driver training and driven many different cars, some with over 600hp.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

If it were me I would go for the Z06 vette. They may not be as luxurious as your other picks but damn are they fast. If you are looking for performance go for the vette. They are really comfortable to me and the cockpit feels just like ......well a cockpit. Its awesome. Like someone already said, you can find them down in the 20's now.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #13
GKR
AF Newbie

Okay then, here's a few more questions relating to America.

1) If i got a Vette, I'd need to change a few things. What are the rules regarding aftermarket steering wheels, especially if the factory one is airbagged?

2) I value driver feedback more than outright speed and while I haven't driven one, the sources I value most suggest that the steering is a little vague in the Vette. Is this easily fixed by cambor/castor adjustment and some new coil-overs?

3) How much space is available in the Vette? I know it's sports car and all, but some are more practicle than others. The M cars are basically everyday cars and have the practicality to go with it. How liveable is a Vette day to day? I assume reliability and running costs aren't much of an issue considering how many years they've been in development.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

1. No clue.

2. You'd have to ask a 'Vette owner, but I doubt it'd ever be M3 or 911 quality. If you care about driving experience more than outright speed, one of those may be a better choice for you.

3. It's got more space than any other two-seater sports car I've ever seen. The trunk'll hold two golf bags easily.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons