Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
ricnor
AF Newbie

1979 steering column issues

I have a 1979 manual c3 with tilt and reach steering column, the indicator lever has broken. I stripped the column down to where the indicator switch is, realised that I need a new arm mount so went to put it all back so I can steer the car about, however I stupidly thought I knew where everything went but am stumped on a spring. It is about 1" in diameter and about 1" in length, fairly strong as well.

I have looked in my chiltons book but the exploded view of the column is not very clear, I have also looked on the internet and again all the exploded view diagrams of the column parts are not clear.

So does anyone know for sure where this spring should go? any photo's would be really helpful and if anyone know's where I can get a new indicator lever mount from that would be great, it's the aluminium piece in the column that the indicator lever attaches to.
TIA.
ricnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
ricnor
AF Newbie

Re: 1979 steering column issues

Not to worry, managed to work it out after a lot of head scratching and just in case anyone else has a similar issue the spring fits underneath the plastic indicator canceling device and the lock ring is on top of that and you have to compress the lot to get the "C" clip in place. Can now steer the car but will need to disassemble it again once I locate a new indicator lever mechanism.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

So it is the spring that preloads the upper bearing - Item 6?

You are correct that there are not a lot of good, detailed diagrams for these columns out in the wild, and very few photos of the disassembly.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
ricnor
AF Newbie

Yes you are correct that is the spring I had issues with, my concern was that there is a fair amount of pressure in the spring and I thought that it would wear the plastic down very quickly without any protection but apparently not.
The car steers great the tilt and slide work a treat without a lot of movement in any direction but I will need the cast aluminium braketry that the indicator/dip and main beam lever attaches to via a roll pin as this has broken. I have an idea that this is probably not available but is known to break, if I can't source one then I will have to make something up as sticking my finger in the lever hole to operate the indicators is not the best idea for the long term and I can't operate the dip/main beam that way.
You exploded view is the best I have seen to date, thank you for posting it as I can relax a bit knowing I put it all back as it should have been.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette