Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 05:48 PM   #1
midlightspeed
AF Newbie

Help...really bad please!

Well, two nights ago I got pulled over for not stopping at a stop sign and was asked to pop open my hood, all I had was Intake (with no serial) and the damn cop gave me a fix-it ticket for that and now I gotta bring my CRX to the state ref. for inpsection and smog, and I am 100% sure it won't pass because I smogged it last month and failed. But then I had a friend smogged it for me last week and it passed, but I payed extra for the "hook up". Is there anyway to show the smog certificate from last week to the judge and have it appealed? I don't want to go thru all the hassle and money again to have it passing smog. Thanks.
midlightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:45 PM   #2
b16a3sol
AF Enthusiast

if you are really that worried about it, just change the intake back to stock. changing an intake doesnt take much time at all. then go to the inspection place with the certificate from a week ago and tell them to fuck off and drop the ticket. next time this happens tell the cop to go fuck himself when he wants to look under your hood. he pulled you over for running a stop sign, not for suspicion of pulluting the air. fucking pigs.
b16a3sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 07:35 PM   #3
fritz_269
AF Moderator

Re: Help...really bad please!

Quote:
Originally posted by midlightspeed
Is there anyway to show the smog certificate from last week to the judge and have it appealed?
I highly doubt it. There is probably nothing on the smog certificate that allows you to have that intake (which is correct, since it isn't CARB exempted). So you'd either be showing that your 'friend' comitted an crime by passing an illegal car; or you'd be saying that you put the intake on after your car was passed. Either way you're still screwed.

Suck it up and fix your car back to smog-legal status. And only use CARB exempted parts from now on. It is the law after all. (I assume you're in California?)

Quote:
Originally posted by b16a3sol
next time this happens tell the cop to go fuck himself when he wants to look under your hood. he pulled you over for running a stop sign, not for suspicion of pulluting the air. fucking pigs.
That would be a great way to get arrested and probably get your car impounded. Do you enjoy jail?

I believe that peace officers in most states are allowed to search your car with only "reasonable suspicion" of a violation or crime. Warrants are not required for roadside searches. The cop probably heard your intake, thus giving him reasonable suspicion. He performed the search and found you to be in violation. Totally legal. And honestly, I've got no problem with it.

If you really want to spend a day in the courthouse, I suppose you could try to assert that the officer did not have reasonable suspicion. After all, there are CARB exempt intakes that probably sound similar to yours. But I really don't think a judge will buy it.

You might also try contacting SEMA - they often help consumers fight unfair vehicle tickets. But since you were actually in clear violation, I think they may just say 'tough luck'. www.sema.org

Best of luck.
fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:49 AM   #4
midlightspeed
AF Newbie

Well, first off...everything was just fine...a ticket for running a stop sign until the other cop came out the passenger side and took a walk around my car and said "Hmmmm...tinted windows" since I have my back windows tinted. He then told me to pop open my hood, which I did....not knowing my intake was illegal and I was ticketed for that. The cop also asked me to flash my front lights since I had clear corners, but my bulbs were stock so nothing happened there. Everything is stock on my car except for that damn intake! And Yes I live in California.
midlightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical