Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 09:57 PM   #1
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex
Question Governor and Ignition

i'm gonna roll this into one thread so i dont whore it up.:smoka:
1. the governor. how do you eliminate it, do you have to get an ecu upgrade (chip)? if so i will leave it in-tact cause i plan on going boost (not sure if i will keep the d16 or go for b18) and then get a programmable ecu hondata aem etc.

2. Ignition systems. like i said before, i plan on boosting and eventually upgrading the ecu. what would an after market ignition do for me. MSD 6AL ignition blaster coil and new cap. and of course some 8.5mm plug wires. how would this change performance, i know im not looking at HP gains of any massive size, if any. I will burn fuel more efficiently right? right now i am looking to do mods that will carry over either to the b18 motor, or to a boosted d16. thanx for the help
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:36 PM   #2
fritz_269
AF Moderator

1) If your ECU has a speed or RPM governor, you'll probably have to replace it to get rid of it. But I don't know for sure about your EX.

2) The major advantage of an aftermarket ignition on a boosted engine is 'variable boost retard'. You stick another MAP sensor into the manifold and the ignition computer retards the spark in proportion to the boost, helping to keep you away from detonation. Check out the Crane HI-6TRC ( www.cranecams.com )

And read this thread:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...threadid=27545

Also, if you're going to end up with an aftermarket ECU anyway, now might be the time to go for that instead. Something like the AEM ECU will let you read the stock MAP sensor and map a variable retard to the stock ignition system, so you don' really need an aftermarket ignition.
fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

I guess msd is one of the brands that didn't make a successful switch into the import market. as for the programmable ecu, it requires a lap top to program them right? that is something i am lacking. It could very well be a few years before i actually reach the turbo or swap stage. due to my small budget. making 600 a month and 500 goes to expenses..hehehe. how much is the aem unit running for? i know this one is off topic so i dont plan on getting many replies but......my first step is a helms. i am getting one as soon as i have the extra cahs. (a week or two) but, if i plan on swapping or going turbo, what would be some mods to get me some power and not drain my wallet? any suggestions. i dont really like the idea of the cat back though. i prefer to keep the sleeper look. i know that eventually it will have to be done. i just want to wait as long as possible. also, what about high flow cat's. i know they will flow more air, but will they cause the ecu to throw codes? and what type of gains could i expect, performance and economy (mpg) or losses....thanx for all the help
Old 03-01-2002, 02:19 PM   #4
fritz_269
AF Moderator

Good call on the Helm's manual. It is definitely the best mod.

The AEM ECU is around $1400. Which, in all honesty, is a great price for what it does! And yes, it requires a laptop to interface with, but only an old pentium with Win 95, you can pick them up used real cheap. (I suppose you could also hook it to your home computer with a longer cable, but it might be a little awkward.)

No reason for a high-flow cat until you've got significantly more exhaust to get rid of (i.e. forced induction). It might even very slightly hurt power production as it will change the tuning of the stock exhaust system.

If you're planning on a swap or turbo, the best thing you can do is save up. Most any part you buy will have to be replaced (particularly if you swap!).

Low cost, bang for the buck - pick up a decent CAI for now. And you might think about N2O - particularly if you're going to swap later.
fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 08:30 AM   #5
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

i can hear it now...hey boy what the **** is that cord running from your car into the house for, that thing battery operated or somethin. hehehehe. :finger: ....that would be amusing. yes quite awkward indeed. i like the bang for the buck of nos. how much does it cost to refill. (even though im not a big believer in the bottle). the only bad thing is, is that i am, during college semesters, averaging less than 100 a month disposable cash flow. this is in part to car maintenance that has sprung up. i've got 75 goin to a trans service and valve adjustment on a week from tuesday. and then as soon as i have the money for a stage 2 clutch i've got to replace my clutch cause its headed south. but, CAI or short ram have been what i have been looking at here as of late. i am undecided on which though. i like the bang for the buck of the short ram, especially if i swap. im not out the 200+ of a CAI. I am also working on getting some credit through snap-on to get some good, high quality tools. do you know of a site that lists places to have n2o refilled? and again thank you for all your help, i dont know what we would do with out the help of guys like you fritz.