Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 08:26 PM   #1
95HondaCivic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 95HondaCivic
Help finding chip?!?!?!

i want to get a new chip for my 95 Civic lx Auto. where can i get one and how easy is it to install? about how much are they?
95HondaCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
Phat_Si
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Phat_Si
You can't get a chip, your auto. If you were to get a chip it would change from auto to a 5 speed. which i don't recommend doing unless you have the money of course. glad i could help!

- Phat_Si
BTW if you had a manual car you could get a burned chip for about $25-50!!!
Phat_Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 06:49 PM   #3
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Veetec Send a message via AIM to Veetec
About what kind of chip are you guys talking? ECU? If yes, then I donīt see any reason why he canīt get a chip for his Civic with auto tranny. But I wouldnīt recommend it anyways unless you havenīt done a lot of other mods on your car (cams, header, intake, cam gears,......). And even then an Apexi VAFC for example would be the better choice.
Veetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:10 PM   #4
Phat_Si
AF Enthusiast

If he were to get a chip, it would automatically change his specs for the specs of a 5 speed. It just won't work!
Old 03-02-2002, 06:59 AM   #5
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Phat_Si
If he were to get a chip, it would automatically change his specs for the specs of a 5 speed. It just won't work!
Sorry, but I really donīt get it. If heīs going to buy a custum chip it should be alright. He just shouldnīt buy an already programmed one. Why shouldnīt cars with an auto tranny be able to use an aftermarket chip?? Somebody else who knows anything about that?
Old 03-02-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Phat Si is talking crap.

There is no reason you can't chip an Automatic car. All it will adjust is the fuel and ignition.
Some cars with shift programs on the same chip in the ECU may need a special Chip, but most use a differnt chip, and often a differnt ECU.

The Question you should be asking is do I need a chip.

Unless your running more than 6psi of boost, or have some wild cams that require a higher redline and differnt fuel curve then you will not need a chip, the money can be better spent else where.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:54 PM   #7
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie
Phat Si is talking crap.

There is no reason you can't chip an Automatic car. All it will adjust is the fuel and ignition.
Some cars with shift programs on the same chip in the ECU may need a special Chip, but most use a differnt chip, and often a differnt ECU.

The Question you should be asking is do I need a chip.

Unless your running more than 6psi of boost, or have some wild cams that require a higher redline and differnt fuel curve then you will not need a chip, the money can be better spent else where.
I thought so, too! Iīve done this mistake with my old 4th gen Prelude (2.0i SOHC non-VTEC with 133hp, european version) and I couldnīt feel any difference after it. That was before I became a PH member. Itīs just a waste of money for most cars unless.....(Youīve already said that! ).
Old 03-02-2002, 09:24 PM   #8
Phat_Si
AF Enthusiast

sorry guys I thought if you got a chip, you would have to change it to stick, that's what all the shops around here told me! guess i won't be going to them anymore!!! sorry again
Old 03-02-2002, 10:16 PM   #9
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
yeah all chips do it remap the ignition timing and fuel curves. You can get chips from a number of places like ebay. You might not notice a difference but if you take a look at what the chip modifies then you might. For instance, changing when the vtecs kicks in or no rev limiter. hope that helps to clairify.
5_LiTeR_EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote