Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
regg187
AF Newbie

HVLP needle size question

Hello All,

have been a professional painter since 1995, mainly construction and airless sprayers but also HVLP turbines systems and hvlp conversion guns and old school bink's No7.
I have a question about needle size in an hvlp conver gun. I have an ASTRO Pnuematic fullsize grav feed gun. the original they sold before the QUANTUM. I have a 1.5 and a 1.9 needle and caps. I would like to know if I need a 1.3 for spraying auto finish. Here is my Question If I have the 1.5 needle and it atomizes paint well , lets say for simplicity I spray the same paint( viscosity) with the 1.9, now I know more material will come out and it won't atomizes as well, but if I were to set the material feed setting to where the needle couldn't move back as far so the same amount came out as with the 1.5 , shouldn't I have the same atomization as I did with the 1.5? If I am wrong can some one explain this to me? So If I restricted the 1.5 a little shouldn't It work the same as a 1.3 given the same paint viscosity?

this has bugged me for a little while. I know the need for a bigger needle to use with heavier bodied material , but auto paint viscosity seems generally similar within product types. AE's, Urethanes, etc. thank you in advance for your answer's Regg
regg187 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network