Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
bpopilek
AF Newbie

83 300sd electrical problem

Hey all, so far you have been a great help in trying to get this old beast up and running. I started off with a timing chain problem, but after getting a new tensioner and so on I now have my motor back together. The current problem now is kind of perplexing. The car's electrical system was fine before I disconnected the battery and replaced the head gaskets. Now the problem is when I put the key in the ignition the dash guarges kick on, but none of the dummy lights turn on. The radio, interrior lights, etc all seem fine, but no dummy lights and I do not hear the starter trying to click or anything when I turn the key fully to the start position. I have looked under the hood and do not see any wires left unplugged. I have checked the harnesses, glow plug wires, fuse panel, etc. Can't seem to see what the problem could be. Just kind of happened out of the blue. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-Brian
bpopilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Does anyone have any suggestions about this? I am currently at a loss. Thank you!

-Brian
Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
j_hef
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to j_hef
Re: 83 300sd electrical problem

what voltage do you have on the main and remote wires at the starter?, check at the nss too.
j_hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
bpopilek
AF Newbie

What is the NSS? I will check the starter wires and post later today or tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
j_hef
AF Regular

sorry, neutral saftey switch. you should have at least circuit 30 and 15(with ignition on) showing voltage
Old 01-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
j_hef
AF Regular

i just had a thought. Did you take the wires off the starter for any reason? Once I hadnt realized the starter solenoid had two spots where the remote wire could be attached on my 380 and since it was freakin cold outside i attached it to the first. car wouldnt start. no lights inside either....
Old 01-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Yes I did remove the starter and replaced it with a new "Used" one. I pulled it out again this weekend and had it tested, it was good. But what I noticed is that when the starter was out and I had the positive battery cables connected, the glow plug lights and everything else started working again. I am wondering if I may have made the same mistake you did. I will check that out this afternoon and see what that yields. I know the wires are all good going to the starter as I just replaced them this weekend. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
bpopilek
AF Newbie

I just got done working on the car some more without much success. This is what I have done and what happens.
Replaced the + battery cable to and from the starter.
Replaced the solenoid remote wire.

W/ the solenoid remote wire attached I get no glow plug light etc, once disconnected everything kicks on.

The starter was removed and tested at a local auto parts store and was found to be good.

I can measure +12 volts on the solenoid remote wire when the key is turned. If I touch the remote wire right to 12 volts I get nothing.

I did not see any other spot on the starter that the remote wire could be attached to. Does it sound like the solenoid may be bad? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #9
j_hef
AF Regular

"If I touch the remote wire right to 12 volts I get nothing."
Do you mean to the solenoid contact?

got a digital camera? take a picture of it connected when the lights dont work and disconnected when the lights work and let me see.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
j_hef
AF Regular

do you still have the old starter?
switch it back if it still worked, or just to see if you get your lights with it hooked up
Old 01-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #11
bpopilek
AF Newbie

I swapped the old starter out with this one that I got off of ebay. The old solenoid was fried on my original unit and after I compared them and saw they looked identical, I pitched the old one. As for the remote wire, I mean the small wire that hooks to the solenoid contact yes. On this starter there is a wire that comes down from the battery, a wire that comes from the starter to a distribution block to power the rest of the car, and the small wire that attaches to the solenoid for power. There really is no way for me to take a picture of it, unless I pull the starter back out of the car again. If need be, I will do that though. Thanks!

-Brian
Old 01-13-2005, 09:43 PM   #12
j_hef
AF Regular

something has to have been reconnected wrong. Try and find another car first, a 300D would work too, and compare how yours is wired to it. sorry i cant be of much more help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion