Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
peryea
AF Newbie

A couple 300SD questions

First, I would like to compliment you folks on an excellent forum and hope you will indulge me a few tech type questions.
I recently bought an '84 off ebay for use as a parts car for my '85 but after getting the car and driving it home it seemed too nice to part out so now it's my daily driver. It does have some issues though, two of these being the most pressing. The first problem is with the heater fan. It will work but it's an extremely rare occasion when it does. My question is there some reasonable simple way to track down the problem? I haven't yet figured out how to get into the console. I have CD version of the manual but it didn't help much.
The other problem I have is with the tranny downshift switch under the gas pedal. It sticks and won't upshift under 4000 RPMs. I can unstick it manually but I have to pull over to reach it. I tried spraying it but it didn't help. Any ideas?
peryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:07 AM   #2
peryea
AF Newbie

A couple 300SD questions

I found a new kickdown switch at overnightautoparts.com for $12. That's one problem resolved. Now if I can just figure out this problem with the fan I'll be all set.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
j_hef
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to j_hef
two things that come to mind are the pushbutton assembly and the blower regulator box. try switching them out with known good ones one at a time and see if one of them does it. I dont remember exactly but the blower regulator should be up above the passenger footwell somewhere.
j_hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
j_hef
AF Regular

Re: A couple 300SD questions

one more thought, check your fuses and clean any corrosion off (spin the blower fuse in its holder and see if that helps)
Old 12-14-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
peryea
AF Newbie

A couple 300SD questions

I checked the fuse first off because it had worked sporadically. I need to get inside the console to access the switch and vacuum lines but I'm at a loss as to how to gain entry without doing damage.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
j_hef
AF Regular

I dont remember exactly on a 126, but on a 123 the switchover valves are right behind the pushbutton assembly. take the radio out first, then youll see two screws holding the wood trim in from underneath.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:07 PM   #7
peryea
AF Newbie

I'll give it a try as soon as temps climb back above zero. I am not allowed to move wifes HD out of the garage in bad weather.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
jumbo439
AF Newbie

Question 1983 300d

I am considering a 1983 300D with 200,000 miles for my daughter, its her first car. I've never owned a MB and don't know diddly about them. Although I was impressed the first time I got into a German taxi. They are all Fords and MB. Anyhow, can someone give a general idea of how this machine has performed over the years. Is it a dog, a dream, mechanics nightmare etc. I have owned VW beetles many years ago, it run great but was always failing a part (kind of like a dodge). Most recently I've been hooked on the reliability of Japan imports. I have a Nissan Quest with over 200K, runs great. Any thoughts are appreciated.
jumbo439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
j_hef
AF Regular

The 300D will be a good car for your daughter. 83 model year came with a turbo- unless she likes to speed, then get her a 240D hahaha. My first car was a 240D and I learned what I could and ended up doing most of the work on my car myself. Definitly pick up one of the Haynes repair manuals for it, it should cover everything you'd need to know.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion