Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
Hudson.philip
AF Newbie

Angry Transmission overhaul (1st time)

Ok so this is my first post on this forum and could really use some knowledge/opinion on this. Let me first give a little background info on the situation. I purchhased a 2008 silverado1500 ext cab LTZ 2WD with 83,000 miles, truck has a salvaged title due to water damage. Mechanic told me that they flushed all systems and it was good. Well approx 5k miles last I realize he lied. They changed oil and that was probably it. Truck began to have a really hard shift ( would describe as shifting manually w/out clutch) it would only do it from 1at -2nd and only on the up shift. That turned into slipping between basically every gear. I haven’t drove it much since all this started but I have discovered water in transmission (pictures attached). I dropped pan to inspect and discovered strawberry milk. Also there is a rubber flap or some type of seal along with what appears to be a chunk of broken out metal inside transmission right next time location of filter tube. Appears broken and not machines, doesn’t look natural (attach pic). So now that you have an idea of what I’m dealing with my question is, what would you do? To purchase a remanufactured/rebuilt transmission, and pay to have it installed is going to cost me at least $2500. I’ve been told the overhaul kit can you purchased for around $500 everything you need and it is a doable process… Now I am no transmission mechanic but I do halfway know my way around the garage. Is it doable? What problems will I encounter? What tools will I need that arnt normally around avg garage? Etc?

i’m reluctant to pay for new transmission because I don’t know what’s next with a salvaged water damage vehicle I have disconnected virtually every electronic harness cleaned and re-connected, change differential fluid which was disgusting coolant,break fluid, pads/rotors/drums, serviced all that and have drove it for almost 7000 miles now after being out of water with no problems. What am I looking at is my next fix being water damaged?

It’s a good looking and was good running truck, just don’t want to keep throwing money into a hole though.

I purchhased the literature for vehicle on alldatadiy.com and feel confident that I can follow the overhaul instructions , just looking for some opinions overall. I need o take to Transmission shop first and have codes read. Is there anything that could cause it to slip that is not the transmission going bad ? i.e. electrical etc. etc. ??

I just assumed with me driving it 5000 miles or more with water in the transmission fluid it needs to be overhauled for sure regardless...

Thanks for the time hopefully I get some good input back on this issue I’m going to have to start rebuild soon, Considering this is my only vehicle. Well for some reason it’s not allowing me to attach pictures and saying they are too large to even attach one so if you have an input and would like to see these pictures please send me a message and I can send them to you via email or other means. Really need some help here please let’s see how your old form does for a first time poster.
Thanks again
Hudson.philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Transmission overhaul (1st time)

I believe your transmission is a 4L60E. Rebuilds are not terribly difficult and do nto necessarily require a lot of special tools.

If you would like a general overview, check my generic rebuild guide site:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60ERepairs.html
Old 11-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

To post pictures, open an account at a photo hosting site, suchs as flickr.com.
Then upload your pictures to your album on that site. Then open the pic you want to post here, and click the "share" symbol, (looks like a curved arrow on flickr). Then select the BB Code option, copy the link it will show, (highlight it and use control-c), and then come back to your message here, click the photo icon above, (looks like a tiny postcard or picture of a mountain). Then paste your flickr link into that space, using Ctrl-v. Lot easier than it sounds. Especially if youhave a smart phone and install the flickr app.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
BigRed55
AF Newbie

Phillip, I have had some experience with water damaged vehicles....all bad! Two of my vehicles were damaged due to Tropical Storm Allison in 2001. I personally drained and changed all fluids, pulled & cleaned all electrical plugs, change out interior carpets, etc. I even replaced one of the computers but still continued to have electrical issues. I had nothing but hell with both of them. Finally got to the point I decided not to sink any more money and sold them both. I would never knowingly purchase another.
BigRed55 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado