Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 08:45 PM   #1
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
3" exhaust system choices for forced induction use??

My car is supercharged, and I'll be running enough boost to push me up to 3" exhaust system realms. I've got most of it covered - a good header for the system, a 3" inlet and outlet high flow cat, and all the 3" T-304 stainless steel piping I'm going to need to put the sytem together. The remaining question marks are resonator and muffler. My simplest option would be to use Magnaflow for each, at about maybe $200 each. However, I have heard that Magnaflows sound like ass with Honda B series applications. So I am looking at other options, including a Remus muffler, which is very expensive (~$400), but is supposed to be a good-sounding 3" muffler for a 4-cylinder.

See I realize that my car is going to be loud and a bit offensive no matter what route I take with a 3" exhaust system. If I was just concerned with all-out power, I'd forgo using a resonator and put a Flowmaster one-chamber 3" racing muffler at the end of my exhaust plumbing. But I don't mind losing a couple horses to keep the sound quieter - it is after all a street car.

Any tips or ideas are appreciated, and thanks in advance-

-JD
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
EightOhOne
AF Fanatic

heres a decent thread on another board I came across a little while back...click here
EightOhOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:24 PM   #3
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
why not just buy a Thermal system? they make 3" systems for forced induction Hondas.

www.thermalrd.com
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 02:24 PM   #4
kungfujap
AF Newbie

I have a 99' civic ex (a d16y8) with an AEM CAI, JG Edelbrock Header, Random Technology 3" Cat, and a Tanabe Racing Medalion Catback System. I really love the sound and most plp around here say I have one of the best exhaust sysems in the area. The Racing Medalion is what i recommend to you, I plan on throwing on a SC and im sure it would sound even better on a B series engine with a SC. It comes with a resinator and its only loud when you want it to be. You can't go wrong with it, it has a nice deep tone no rice burner shit.
kungfujap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Thanks for the responses guys. Wonder why I didn't receive an email notifiction sooner

Anyway, I ruled out Thermal from day one because of noise. Its all subjective of course, but I have a lot less tolerance for noise than most of the import drivers out there - and most I have talked to speak of the thundering vibrations throughout the cabin of the car from Thermal exhausts.

The Tanabe Racing Medalion is not what I would call quiet, though it does offer very good performance. I have heard them, and not a big fan of their sound, particularly at WOT.

It was good to read the post in that link, 801, but while turbos are known to quiet down exhausts, it has been my experience that SC's, while they do change the exhaust tone, do not quiet it down. My current exhaust system is noticeably louder in boost than out of boost (I've had the SC belt off many times, which has helped establish a good basis for comparison). In that thread, Etylorcen said it right, that someone needs to make a 3'' Mugen twin loop muffler design. I've already looked into this, and even asked about having one of these custom-made, but there is just not enough room to loop around the huge 3" plumbing as would be necessary.

There are a handful of 3" universal muffler and resonator choices, including HKS (recommended to me over at Hostboard). However, IMO, there is a difference between a 3" universal muffler, and a 3" muffler geared towards a 4-cylinder engine, so that while an HKS muffler may sound great on a Supra's inline 6, it is much more difficult to extract an exhaust note anywhere near as audibly-pleasing from a 4-cylinder. The same argument applies to Maglaflow mufflers/resonators, which I have heard the same subjective argument for from friends who know me and what I am looking for in en exhaust, that I will not be happy with the sound.

Since I first posted, I found sound clips at the Remus web site (www.remus.at) of some of their exhausts, including 4-cylinder applications. Granted, it is a safe bet that none of them are 3" systems, but they do offer kind of hushed, mellow hum tone is exactly what I am looking for. And while I am not muffler shopping for looks, a nice looking tailpipe does not hurt either, and the Remus parts are some of the nicest-looking I have ever seen.

Last edited by JD@af; 06-03-2002 at 07:17 PM.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote