Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 11:49 AM   #1
FirstJimmy
AF Newbie

Exclamation 4X4 Transfer Case Control Module Problems

My 1999 Jimmy was acting like it was hesitating when I took off from a stop. My neighbor works for a dealer and diagnosed the problem for me with the help of some Tech II gaget. It appears that the Transfer Case Control Module was signalling the transmission that it was in 4LO and thus was shifting from 1st to 4th gear before I reached 35MPH. This made it feel like the engine was missing. I bought a use salvage yard module for $100(vs the dealer price of $380) and so far it seem to be working.
Does anyone know if this is a common problem? I called GM Parts line and was told these were on back order and most salvage yards seemed to not be able to keep them in stock!
FirstJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
s1193919
AF Newbie

Re: 4X4 Transfer Case Control Module Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstJimmy
My 1999 Jimmy was acting like it was hesitating when I took off from a stop. My neighbor works for a dealer and diagnosed the problem for me with the help of some Tech II gaget. It appears that the Transfer Case Control Module was signalling the transmission that it was in 4LO and thus was shifting from 1st to 4th gear before I reached 35MPH. This made it feel like the engine was missing. I bought a use salvage yard module for $100(vs the dealer price of $380) and so far it seem to be working.
Does anyone know if this is a common problem? I called GM Parts line and was told these were on back order and most salvage yards seemed to not be able to keep them in stock!

I was having the same trouble. The GM dealer diagnosed the problem as a bad Transfer Case Control Module and wanted $700 to fix it. I went to a salvage yard and got the part for $75. I hooked the new Control Module up and when I started the Jimmy the "Service 4X4" light came on. Did you have to do any reprogramming of the new controller or did you just hook up the wiring harnesses?
s1193919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
ChrisGood
AF Regular

Re: Re: 4X4 Transfer Case Control Module Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1193919
I was having the same trouble. The GM dealer diagnosed the problem as a bad Transfer Case Control Module and wanted $700 to fix it. I went to a salvage yard and got the part for $75. I hooked the new Control Module up and when I started the Jimmy the "Service 4X4" light came on. Did you have to do any reprogramming of the new controller or did you just hook up the wiring harnesses?
You shouldnt have to reprogram it, try clearing it, two ways disconnect the battery for 15 - 30 minutes then hook it back up and start it. If that does not clear it try, with battery connected, removing the 4wd and crt lp fuses for like a minute replace them and cycle the key from off to run to off 5 times. I have been reading on this for mine and these are the methods to clear the tccm as far as I know. If it still comes on I would say you have another issue to look at.
1993 3000GT VR4

ChrisGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
FirstJimmy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 4X4 Transfer Case Control Module Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1193919
All I did was plug in the module and all worked fine. Perhaps I was lucky. There are some very knowledgeable folks in this Forum and perhaps they can help you.
FirstJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
myjimmy
AF Newbie

Question Re: 4X4 Transfer Case Control Module Problems

I'm Having the same problem, and told the same as I'm hearing here. I will try a salvage yard to get the module. I'm sure its as easy as plugging the new one in, but where is it located? Thanks in advance.
myjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote