Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding
Metal Shaping and Welding Discuss metal shaping and welding techniques. Share your projects or tips and tricks.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Andy98111
AF Newbie

What types of metal can I weld with Ox/Ace set up, and what kind of fillers do I need

I was wondering if you folks might be able to answer a qestion for me in reagards to a Ox/Ace set up that I purchase trought E bay, I got the set up and recently bought the two smalles tanks from Central welding Suply, I have to build a welding table and I'm looking for some one that can tell me what type and thicknes metal to buy and what type of filler to use, I had been given some information that if I purchase Milled Carbon Steell that the Acetiline torch would join that, and they sold me a filler called RG45, but I got a pieces os steel from Home Base and it really was not that good of a weld, they also gave me some brass to brase the metal together but I'm really not happy with the streng of the joints, so if there is some one that could tell me the following that would be great

#1 what type of metal and what thickness should I buy to built the table ?

#2 what type of filler should I use to weld with ?

#3 any tips on actually welding the pieces together ?

Any Suggesttions would be greatly apriciated
Andy98111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: What types of metal can I weld with Ox/Ace set up, and what kind of fillers do I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy98111
I was wondering if you folks might be able to answer a qestion for me in reagards to a Ox/Ace set up that I purchase trought E bay, I got the set up and recently bought the two smalles tanks from Central welding Suply, I have to build a welding table and I'm looking for some one that can tell me what type and thicknes metal to buy and what type of filler to use, I had been given some information that if I purchase Milled Carbon Steell that the Acetiline torch would join that, and they sold me a filler called RG45, but I got a pieces os steel from Home Base and it really was not that good of a weld, they also gave me some brass to brase the metal together but I'm really not happy with the streng of the joints, so if there is some one that could tell me the following that would be great

#1 what type of metal and what thickness should I buy to built the table ?

#2 what type of filler should I use to weld with ?

#3 any tips on actually welding the pieces together ?

Any Suggesttions would be greatly apriciated
#1 It depends on how much weight you need to have on it. If you're repairing a diesel engine block, very thick... I took a welding class a while back, the tables there were 1/4" thick, 3'x'3 work surface, with a 1/4" angle iron frame... the legs I have no idea, but I'd guess 1/4" since everything else was.

#2 I'm not sure, when I took that class the teacher handed use what we needed... so... something for the material you are welding. I'm an automotive technician, I only use a torch to cut. For welding I use either ARC or MIG... I have welded with a torch, but it's been a while.

#3 It just takes practice to get good, if you know the basic principals and techniques, just practice until you're a pro. You may want to get some scrap pieces of steel and weld them together kneeling on a concrete floor, or if you know someone with a place to weld, see if you can practice in their facility. My first weld was absolutely horrible, after a few years of welding occasionally it looks like the pictures in the text book. Stick with it, you'll get it down.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Andy98111
AF Newbie

Re: What types of metal can I weld with Ox/Ace set up, and what kind of fillers do I need

Thanks a bunch for the information, I picked up some Milled Carbon Steell, about 1/16th and it work pretty well, I needed to build a tool to take the coling fan of my truck and I used some of that metal to build the tool, and it worked very well, so I'm making progress, however, to my surprise I ran out of both Oxc, and Acet gas, so I'm still working on getting the pressure set correct, as I might have it to high and there fore burning too much gas, however, I did cut some pieces and seems that uses a lot of Oxcigent, had a lot fun welding, I think I need to develop my skills a little more before I attemp to put the welding table together so I think first I will build a set up to move the the tanks around and store the tips hose gogles... etc, so here I go...

Andy

P.S. I pick up a trojan horse on the computer and had to reinstall the Operating System, so took me a while to responde to the post....
Andy98111 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding