Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:38 PM   #61
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

To make the CRV-tec worth it, your goals should be atleast 300 WHP. If your goals are less than 300, than you would be wasting much time and money that would be best spent elsewhere.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:39 PM   #62
Buzz1167
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Buzz1167 Send a message via MSN to Buzz1167
Yes, I also heard about the crvtec cracking problem, but If you want to make some serious power you can resleeve it, and boost the hell out of it. Before 'I' boost it Im gonna get it resleeved, because even though thats far down the line, I'm almost sure that it is a problem, Ive heard enough testimonials not to test the theory myself Im trying to get some piston and rod info on my crv(soon to be "tec"). And no, its not because I jumped on the bandwagon, the crv engine comes standard on a crv Muhahahaha. I do agree with pwman with the whole "goal setting" idea, except that I dont think most people know what their "goal" is, and even if they do, Id be surprised if they were satisfied after they got there. I know that even if I get 300whp out of my crv, I'll probably always want more, its just the nature of people.
I think the original question about the vtec kicking in has been answered, but I must say, I dont ever notice it on my friends newer civic si (only got single cam vtec?).

Buzz1167
Jon N
Buzz1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:27 AM   #63
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: not feeling V-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz1167
Yes, I also heard about the crvtec cracking problem, but If you want to make some serious power you can resleeve it, and boost the hell out of it. Before 'I' boost it Im gonna get it resleeved, because even though thats far down the line, I'm almost sure that it is a problem, Ive heard enough testimonials not to test the theory myself Im trying to get some piston and rod info on my crv(soon to be "tec"). And no, its not because I jumped on the bandwagon, the crv engine comes standard on a crv Muhahahaha. I do agree with pwman with the whole "goal setting" idea, except that I dont think most people know what their "goal" is, and even if they do, Id be surprised if they were satisfied after they got there. I know that even if I get 300whp out of my crv, I'll probably always want more, its just the nature of people.
I think the original question about the vtec kicking in has been answered, but I must say, I dont ever notice it on my friends newer civic si (only got single cam vtec?).

Buzz1167
Jon N
If you are talking about the 99-00 Civic SI, it has a DOHC VTEC B16A (B16A3 I believe) motor. If its the new civic SI, the ones with the K series motor, the hatchback, then it doesn't have true Vtec on the motor, in the sense of how true vtec really works. It's still a DOHC K20A, it's 2.0 liters. This motor (and the regular RSX non-type-s) use Vtec differently than you traditonally expect. First, the i-vtec on this motor only operates the intake valves (not both sets of valves like you expect vtec to do. The i-vtec K20A2 on the RSX Type-S operates Vtec like you'd expect.) Furthermore, until the Vtec threshold is reached, these 2 K motors (SI and NON-Type-S RXS) essentially only use one intake valve per cylinder. The other intake vavle is just open a crack. It's only open just enough to keep fuel from pooling behind the vavle. If he has the "newer" SI as in the K20A powered SI, the "new" SI hatchback, that is most likely the reason you never notice it.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #64
Hatchbacksi_novtec
AF Newbie

A

Ones u get a intake and header u should hear the v-tec. All it is, is a little sound it makes around 5.5 thousand rpm valves open a little wider that's all .
Hatchbacksi_novtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:19 PM   #65
Jeff C
AF Enthusiast

Nevermind, I dont want to get into it.
Jeff C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #66
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: not feeling V-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff C
Nevermind, I dont want to get into it.
Nitrous doesn't crack the sleeves, boost does. More than 8 PSI and say bye bye. The b20's sleeves are made of different material than B18's and B16's. I can't recall what, but I know they are different. They may be thinner too. The B20 wasn't made for any kind of performance like the B18's and 16's were.
I would imagine that if you sprayed a big enough shot, you would crack the sleeves. How much do you spray?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:21 AM   #67
Shinji
AF Newbie

....man

I am not sure if anyone is still into this post of not but anyways, you can take a D16y8 engine and with a nice bore / port and polish and the right internals and a turbo you can make equal hp of that in a B series engine, yes the B series will be more reliable being DOHC and it isn't near the stress the D series will take but it can be done, I am about to bore my D sereis out and drop in some forged pistons and other goodies I have been droling over for about 2 months now...

I think everyone can agree with this next statement,

Who the hell cares if you have a H22, D-series, or a B16a, if you car halls ass and does 100 - 160Mph and gets there quick, that is all that matters to me!

He he my little insite, that is why I am doing a D series it got great low-end besides I like how a engine transforms into a power house with a little bit of money
Shinji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:12 PM   #68
Jeff C
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: not feeling V-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
How much do you spray?
I have sprayed a 100 on it a few times. I bumped it back down to 70 now though. I dont spray much cause there aint much need to.
Jeff C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:25 PM   #69
Smokn91HB
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Smokn91HB

I dont really agree to all of that i had a homemade setup.. a d15b2 BONE STOCK pushing 15 psi with PLENTY of fuel on an fmu with a third injector wired into my dual point mechanism.... on a 91 civic DX it ran good as hell for a beater daily driver..... that stock motor ran like that for a year...(im not shitting ya!) it ran13.90@98.97 MPH. at the local track sounds hard to believe but im serious.... after a year of hard abuse it gave in just a week ago and she threw a rod.. the reason why it ran soo good for that long is due to the account of hours of good tuning and running pretty rich. but i am dead serious about the set-up the d series may not be the most powerful but they can handle a good amount of abuse and boost i still agree that b series is the way to go though i am looking to build an LS motor now and turbo it though i will keep you updated... i had next to no money in the car i had a cartech adjustable fmu on it with that three injector set-up and a free small ass t-25 turbo it seriously kicked but it costed hardly nothing because my Dad did all of the piping on machines at his work place.......
Smokn91HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:58 AM   #70
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokn91HB
I dont really agree to all of that i had a homemade setup.. a d15b2 BONE STOCK pushing 15 psi with PLENTY of fuel on an fmu with a third injector wired into my dual point mechanism.... on a 91 civic DX it ran good as hell for a beater daily driver..... that stock motor ran like that for a year...(im not shitting ya!) it ran13.90@98.97 MPH. at the local track sounds hard to believe but im serious.... after a year of hard abuse it gave in just a week ago and she threw a rod.. the reason why it ran soo good for that long is due to the account of hours of good tuning and running pretty rich. but i am dead serious about the set-up the d series may not be the most powerful but they can handle a good amount of abuse and boost i still agree that b series is the way to go though i am looking to build an LS motor now and turbo it though i will keep you updated... i had next to no money in the car i had a cartech adjustable fmu on it with that three injector set-up and a free small ass t-25 turbo it seriously kicked but it costed hardly nothing because my Dad did all of the piping on machines at his work place.......
In this case you had such a small turbo, it wasn't pushing much CFM. PSI doesn't mean much it's air flow that counts.
Plus there is that occasional ''freak'' case. I've heard people boosting 20 PSI on stock internals of a B18B too.
In the end it's not reliable, as you can see.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:20 AM   #71
Smokn91HB
AF Enthusiast

true true but im just saying.. i was very surprised on how it lasted it was fun for the time!
Old 12-26-2003, 03:40 PM   #72
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokn91HB
true true but im just saying.. i was very surprised on how it lasted it was fun for the time!
Sure. Still, a D15 doing 13's is very impressive.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:04 PM   #73
Smokn91HB
AF Enthusiast

yes i was more than happy with what that little thing ran!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:56 PM   #74
Plasmex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plasmex

yeah unless its DOHC your not going to feel a big difference, its only a very slight increase in hp
Old 01-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #75
Smokn91HB
AF Enthusiast

i def. disagree with you that little setup was bad ass 13.90s is a big difference over what the 18 sec d15 stock.. you tell me how you cant feel a big power increase with what a 4-5 second shaved off the E/T its obvious that you dont know what you are talking about its not even worth my time arguing over.. cya

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical