Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
commanda
AF Newbie

'93 rover 3.9 won't start

I'm a new Rover owner and a vet being released from a VA hospital in LA Sunday. I have a mission to go fishing. Just purchased the Rover, won't start, a couple guys think it's the starter. Tried new battery and alarm system went off. Is it stupid to get a rebuilt starter? Before died, there was a strange noise when put it in park and some burnt electrical smell. Also leaking power steering fluid. Looks like a previous owner went into the steering column for unknown reasons. I don't have a manual, but I've ordered one for Friday arrival. Interior electrical seemed a bit erratic before died (door locks popping, window malfunction, etc.) Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
commanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
jonnyald
AF Newbie

Re: '93 rover 3.9 won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanda
I'm a new Rover owner and a vet being released from a VA hospital in LA Sunday. I have a mission to go fishing. Just purchased the Rover, won't start, a couple guys think it's the starter. Tried new battery and alarm system went off. Is it stupid to get a rebuilt starter? Before died, there was a strange noise when put it in park and some burnt electrical smell. Also leaking power steering fluid. Looks like a previous owner went into the steering column for unknown reasons. I don't have a manual, but I've ordered one for Friday arrival. Interior electrical seemed a bit erratic before died (door locks popping, window malfunction, etc.) Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
well just try the starter on its own, before you waste money buyin new.
jonnyald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
commanda
AF Newbie

Here I am still stuck in the VA. Replaced starter, OK. Shaft on distributor pulled up with rotor during tune-up (I know, that's a no-no). Replaced rotor, copper metal piece flew off. Replaced distributor kit, springs loose. Sent Distributor back to parts dealer and waiting on replacement. In both situations with distributor the cap was damaged/scraped on the inside from what I assume was the rotor. I can understand the first distributor damaged the cap because the shaft was lifted and broke the retainer hat/clip, but would the loose springs cause similar damage as in the replacement distributor's case? Is there a possibility the cap could indicate a problem other than the distributor, in case I run into the same problem?

Secondly, the horn/alarm system goes off after connecting a new battery. Can I disable this system? It'll shut off when I turn it over, but Man! It's annoying. I have two days thank you in advance
Old 05-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
commanda
AF Newbie

I disarmed it. Waiting for replacement distributor.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
grantfleming
AF Newbie

if your inhibitor switch in the auto is stuffed then it will not allow the starter to engage of the key ,try bridging the poles on the starter /also try in neutral sometimes that works , the burnt wire smell is a worry.
grantfleming is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque