Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
diddy0071
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to diddy0071
2004 Silverado 1500 Install Reverse Camera?

Hey All! I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 (LS, Extended Cab, 5.3L (T) Engine) and I was at a local store the other day when I saw a backup camera on sale, so I decided to buy it. It says on the instructions to connect the camera to the reverse lights in the rear. It will then transfer the signal to the screen VIA wireless technology. My question is that it ask that I connect the screen to power, ground, and reverse cable as well. Now, I've never done one of these before, but it seems pretty easy to install the power and ground, but I don't know where the reverse cable is at in the dash area. Anyone have any ideas, schematics, or a clue as to how to find it? (P.S. I don't have a voltmeter [yes, I'm an electronics major, but someone cleaned me out a few weeks ago, and I haven't purchased another one yet)]. Anyways, instead of fumbling around with a voltmeter checking the signal with the truck in reverse, I thought someone might have any idea where to look. I've searched the threads on several websites, and most say it's a light green cable, but I want to know where to search for it.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
mcconnell45
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 Silverado 1500 Install Reverse Camera?

On my 2003 there is a main junction block under the dash next to the parking brake. Take off the retaining nut and remove the cover. In the lower left hand corner of the block is a plug with the light green wire you need which is the reverse wire, the wire should go +12V when you put the truck in reverse. Basically this is the same place you would plug your connector in for electric trailer brakes. Also I've been told that there is a reverse wire in the harness for the rearview mirror, to cancel out the selfdimming feature when in reverse, never did check to see if this was true. Like I said this is where it was on my 2003 so Im not sure if it would be the same for you, but I would think it would be. Hope this helps.

"The Winner isn't the one with the fastest car, it's one who refuses to lose." #3
mcconnell45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
diddy0071
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcconnell45
On my 2003 there is a main junction block under the dash next to the parking brake. Take off the retaining nut and remove the cover. In the lower left hand corner of the block is a plug with the light green wire you need which is the reverse wire, the wire should go +12V when you put the truck in reverse. Basically this is the same place you would plug your connector in for electric trailer brakes. Also I've been told that there is a reverse wire in the harness for the rearview mirror, to cancel out the selfdimming feature when in reverse, never did check to see if this was true. Like I said this is where it was on my 2003 so Im not sure if it would be the same for you, but I would think it would be. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be the same. I think the trucks changed from 2003 and up, so I think 2003 -2006 are the same. thanks for the tip. Not sure about the rear view mirror myself, but I'd rather go straight to the electric trailer brakes than the mirror.) Thanks for the help! I'll post pics of the install as soon as I can get to it (I was going to do it today, but wouldn't you know it, it started raining here in northern california).
Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
mcconnell45
AF Newbie

Yeah Im sure they would be the same also I don't think they changed much, if anything between those years. I would wire it at the block also, definitly the better and probably easier way to go. That would be great if you post pictures too, I've been thinking of getting one myself but haven't found much info on installs and personal opinions of users with our trucks..keep us posted!

"The Winner isn't the one with the fastest car, it's one who refuses to lose." #3
mcconnell45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Evansamms
AF Newbie

I too would like to hear how it works out for you. There's been times that i'd like to have one on my ext cab long box. Curious about the pic quality of the units, and to hear if, after a couple weeks, you actually find you use it, or if its more of a novelty.

Evan
Evansamms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
tbuckit1
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tbuckit1

Why wouldn't you 'pull' power from your back-up lamps? It seems to me that if you were to get power from the lamps and then wire the ground, you wouldn't need any other power source. When you put the truck in reverse, the camera would get power and come on instantly.

Would be a whole lot simpler and cleaner than going to the dash, or fuse block. All the needed wiring would be within 2 feet of the camera.

T
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
diddy0071
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuckit1
Why wouldn't you 'pull' power from your back-up lamps? It seems to me that if you were to get power from the lamps and then wire the ground, you wouldn't need any other power source. When you put the truck in reverse, the camera would get power and come on instantly.

Would be a whole lot simpler and cleaner than going to the dash, or fuse block. All the needed wiring would be within 2 feet of the camera.

T

Well for starters the screen will be going on the dash area. I can connect the camera to the reverse lights on the back, but I still need to connect the screen, and the screen has an option for auto-turn on with a lead from the reverse lights. So when I put it in reverse, both the camera and the screen will turn on by themselves. That's why I need to connect it near the dash. Anyways, I will be doing this project this weekend (NO RAIN IN THE FORECAST!) so I'll keep everyone posted.opcorn:
Old 02-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
diddy0071
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcconnell45
On my 2003 there is a main junction block under the dash next to the parking brake. Take off the retaining nut and remove the cover. In the lower left hand corner of the block is a plug with the light green wire you need which is the reverse wire, the wire should go +12V when you put the truck in reverse. Basically this is the same place you would plug your connector in for electric trailer brakes.
Has anyone verified where this plug is at? I see the junction block and the retaining nut, and I have removed the cover, and I see a plug in the lower left hand corner, but I want to be 100% sure that the green cable there is for the reverse. The plug is white, is that the correct plug?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
diddy0071
AF Regular

Can anyone answer? I'm am on the finishing stretch of the install, the sooner I finish, the sooner I can create the how-to DIY on here.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Directly below the steering wheel is the BCM- access by removing the knee bolster cover--2 or 3 screw and it snaps out--you'll see the BCM with 6 plugs pointing towards you-- you may want to remove the metal plate above it- for easier access (4 10mm nuts)-- anyway there is a light green wire in position "F" of the C5 BCM plug-- this plug is black and has only 6 slots- which only 3 wires are present- you want the light green next to the gry/blk (coutesy lamps) which is next to an orange wire-- (orange wire- which by the way is battery hot wire- already fused and ready to tap into if you so desire for a battery hot)-- the light green wire is the back-up lamp supply- so it is also fused accordingly- and supplies 12 volts when the vehicle is put into reverse- you could always test with a test light if you don't have your DVM handy-- I do remote starters- and find the BCM the most convenient place to tap into for stuff like this.....have fun
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
diddy0071
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd
Directly below the steering wheel is the BCM- access by removing the knee bolster cover--2 or 3 screw and it snaps out--you'll see the BCM with 6 plugs pointing towards you-- you may want to remove the metal plate above it- for easier access (4 10mm nuts)-- anyway there is a light green wire in position "F" of the C5 BCM plug-- this plug is black and has only 6 slots- which only 3 wires are present- you want the light green next to the gry/blk (coutesy lamps) which is next to an orange wire-- (orange wire- which by the way is battery hot wire- already fused and ready to tap into if you so desire for a battery hot)-- the light green wire is the back-up lamp supply- so it is also fused accordingly- and supplies 12 volts when the vehicle is put into reverse- you could always test with a test light if you don't have your DVM handy-- I do remote starters- and find the BCM the most convenient place to tap into for stuff like this.....have fun
Wouldn't happen to have a pic would ya?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

sure- the green wire is the one on the far right in link below:

http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/Images.a...7&link=BULLDOG
'99 GMC Yukon
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
diddy0071
AF Regular

The link doesn't work.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

how is this?

'99 GMC Yukon
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
diddy0071
AF Regular

Awesome! Props for the good image! I will make sure to thank you in my DIY instructional when I post it!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado