Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > GT40
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 12:15 AM   #1
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Bad Blue Oval Boys(New Ford GT Info)

Just an update and more info I just saw involving the Ford GT

"In 1966, a GT40 reached a trap speed of 201 mph on the Mulsanne Straight during the 24 Hours of LeMans endurance race, and now the new Ford GT has joined that legend in the 200-plus club.
The GT has become the first production road car wearing the Ford badge to achieve a top speed in excess of 200 mph. During engineering testing for high-speed stability and powertrain durability at Italy's Nardo test facility, the Ford GT reached a certified top speed of 205 mph.

The Ford GT engineering team took two cars to the Nardo test facility to conduct high-speed stability evaluations and run a 500-mile powertrain durability test. Aerodynamics and high-speed stability have been a major focus of the engineering program from the beginning, when the team first tested an original GT40 in the wind tunnel.

The GT40 exhibited major lift at high speeds, and the team determined that the Ford GT would also have the same issue if care was not taken to attend to the problem. In order to not disturb the exterior design, the engineering team limited aerodynamic changes primarily to the underside of the vehicle. As a result, a subtle rear spoiler extension, front and side splitters and venturi tunnels wrapped under the rear clip are the only visible changes.

"Driving the Ford GT at speeds above 200 mph was remarkably uneventful, which is a very positive outcome," said Mark McGowan, Ford GT vehicle dynamics supervisor and driver during the Nardo testing. "I was able to drive the around the track with my foot to the floor with complete confidence in the stability and control of the car at 200-mph plus. My only limitation was the amount of fuel in the tank!"

The 550 hp 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged V-8 engine was also put to the test during the Nardo trip. The engineering team required a 500-mile test at or near maximum velocity speeds to prove-out the strength and durability of the powertrain. The engine exhibited strong acceleration all the way to the 205 mph top speed and passed the durability test without any significant problems.

"The Ford GT is performing at levels of super exotic sports cars that cost three and four times as much money, and it still meets all the engineering and quality requirements of any Ford vehicle program," said John Coletti, director of Ford SVT programs.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bad Blue Oval Boys(New Ford GT Info)

*Owned*
Mr Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:43 AM   #3
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
I don't think this should have been moved. I put it in Car Comparos cause there has been a lot of threads about the Ford GT vs. Whateva in there.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
thunderbird muscle
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bad Blue Oval Boys(New Ford GT Info)

I wish I had 150,000 oh well I can dream.lol.

GTStang next mod for the stang put in a Ford GT motor.lol.

Racing a Honda is like being in the special olympics even if you win your still retarded!
thunderbird muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:56 AM   #5
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

Man, if I can put 550 ponies under the hood of my Mustang, I'll be in heaven...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > GT40