Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Tucson
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
wildlysmiley
AF Newbie

Timing Belt and Water pump replacement

Hi, I have an 05 v6 fwd tuscon.
The manual suggests I replace the timing belt and water pump at a certain mileage. I've acquired a few estimates on the job.
I'm trying to decide if I should schedule this pro-active work prior to, or after a long road trip (12 hour drive each way) this summer.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jan.
wildlysmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Timing Belt and Water pump replacement

As far as the timing belt goes, don't ask questions just do it. In some engines, if your timing belt breaks, some of the valves will stick open and the pistons will come in contact them and bend or break them, which will ruin the engine and cost you a lot more than a new timing belt would have.

The water pump is a bit different. If it isn't leaking and your cooling system is functioning properly, the water pump is probably fine. The only times to check the water pump are when the belt that drives it starts squealing, or if your engine starts overheating. Mechanics often tell customers who don't know any better that their car needs more work than it really does, just to sell more parts and make more money off you.

I would say get the timing belt done, but have the water pump issue looked at by someone trustworthy (definitely not a dealership garage). Always get a second opinion on things like that.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
wildlysmiley
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply!
The manual indicates a water pump replacement at this mileage also, and I take it that the parts needed to be removed will already be out of the way for both jobs, which makes reasonable sense to me.
The main thing I am trying to decide is whether to do it now or after the road trip.
The car is running fine. I take good care of it. I use good oil and keep the oil changed probably more frequently than necessary for a car of this age.
I do live on a dusty gravel road...not sure if that factors in to a timing belt or not.
I've had a timing belt break and I'm fully aware of the issues it can create and their cost. eek!
Most of my miles are what I'd consider highway miles...not sure if that matters or not either, in a timing belt being sound or not.
I guess I am just wanting to make it last as long as possible to avoid the current cost of both...but totally willing to do the right thing to keep the car running well as long as possible.
Thanks again.
Jan.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

When maintenance gets deferred it'll come back and bite ya when ya least need or expect it. If the $$ are available get it done. Do both belt and pump. Make sure the timing belt tensioner gets replaced as well as this is the #1 reason for timing issues, belt breakage,bent valves ,etc. Get it done and have peace of mind.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Once again, I'm declaring bullish*t on the water pump. Definitely get the timing belt done, but I've seen many engines last 200,000 miles and beyond on the original water pump. I would recommend that you have your cooling system flushed before the long trip, but if your cooling system isn't acting up, leave the water pump alone! If it's not broken, don't fix it!
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

That's OK advice if you want to put your car on a 'break down maintenance schedule' and not so bad for guys like you and me that look at our engines more often than the average Joe that doesn't do his own work. But on this and so many other engines today the difference is merely the price of the pump and a 1/2 hour labor. In other words if that pump began to leak even 25,000 mi. later you'll have to go through all that labor and expense again of removing everything that was removed to replace the timing belt. Maybe even another belt too. I rest my case.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
wildlysmiley
AF Newbie

Thanks very much.
I truly appreciate your reply!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I know this is an old discussion, but I would like to add a bit. I've replaced the timing belt on our 2005 4 cylinder Tucson, but the weather was a bit cold at the time so I did not replace the water pump ... "let's wait for warmer weather"! (I still have not done the pump and September is near!)

On some models, think Volvo in-line engines for example, I would not consider NOT replacing the pump when the timing belt is replaced .... BECAUSE the coolant pump pulley is driven by the timing belt. And if the pump bearings get a bit wobbly, this can lead to early belt failure, which is likely a destroyed engine! But on the Hyundai Tucson, this is not the case as the coolant pump is driven by an aux belt ... not the timing belt. But it is certainly a convenient time to replace the coolant pump ...if one is replacing the timing belt. Choices, choices !

The following is a good video on the subject, even though a different model much of the engine information is applicable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYybUWnOlvM
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Tucson