Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
FNA
AF Regular

Season of many gloves

I think of early spring as the season of many gloves.

In the morning, it's still in the 30s. I need my heated gloves for my commute.

In the evening, it might be in the upper 40s or low 50s - regular gauntlets are best for these rides.

Some days (like today) in the 30s in the morning, low 60s in the early evening. man, a pair of leather work gloves is just right for the ride home.

Not to mention April showers. Before the electric gloves, I maintained two pair of gauntlets for the day after coming home in a downpour. Even if its going to be cold all day, need to bring a pair of back-ups so I don't get the electrics too wet to use in the morning.

So currently 3 pairs of gloves in regular rotation (with back-up too). By the end of the month, the wiring harness for the heated gloves can come off.
FNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: Season of many gloves

Same thing here in Michigan FNA. It's beautiful and 63 right now, but my 7:15 am commute was only 26, that's a 37 degree swing. I don't ride if the temps are below freezing, the risk of hitting black ice isn't worth it. It sure would be a beautiful ride home if I would have though darn it.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
FNA
AF Regular

"the temps are below freezing, the risk of hitting black ice"

Not to mention it's freaking cold below freezing.

My best ice story took place in March or April, I'm pretty sure, when the temp was above or right around freezing. I'll get back to it, 'cos it's a doozy!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I've never worn gloves while riding...always seems to interfere with my control.

After a couple of miles the hands get so cold you can't feel it anymore anyway....

Current bike's windshield provides adequate wind protection for the hands anyway....one of those big plexifairing deals...not the most stylish thing, but definitely makes cold riding more enjoyable.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Torch
AF Regular

Its the same here where I live, it was so cold this morning that the motorcycle refused to start, had it started I would have worn my electric gloves and winter coat over my leather jacket to stay warm then worn my regular riding gloves home, and coming home it was so hot I had the car's air conditioning on and once I did make it home the motorcycle fired right up on the first try.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
quick69gto
AF Regular

I used to ride every day, as long as the roads where dry and free of ice (Colorado).
The last couple of years, not so much during the cold months.
I guess I've lost the desire to get bundled up for a 10 minute ride to work.
My bike sits in the garage on a battery buddy most of the winter.
There's no dust on it though!
quick69gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I'm exactly the opposite Larry (jeffcoslacker for those of you who are wondering who I'm addressing), I never ride without gloves (nor do I ride wearing shorts, flip flops, or a speedo, ). I don't ride expecting to stack, but I want at least a little protection on my skin in case I do go down. I've come close a few times but never actually went down (knock on wood). I don't like heavy winter type gloves as I agree with you they get in the way of feeling the controls, and I never ride when the temps are below freezing for fear of hitting an unseen ice patch (not to mention it's freaking cold!!!).

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
FNA
AF Regular

"After a couple of miles the hands get so cold you can't feel it anymore anyway...."

This is precisely why you should be wwearing gloves (so your hands don't get that cold) or staying off the road. At this point, you have lost the ability to safely control your motorcycle.

That's why it seems funny to me that you would say "I've never worn gloves while riding...always seems to interfere with my control."

hands so cold you can't even feel them anymore doesn't interfere with your riding but gloves do?

You may not watch motorcycle racing. The riders of some of the touchiest machines in the world manage to "stay in touch" with their bikes wearing gloves.

Gloves give better grip in all temperature extremes from super hot to rainy to freezing.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #9
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNA View Post
"After a couple of miles the hands get so cold you can't feel it anymore anyway...."

This is precisely why you should be wwearing gloves (so your hands don't get that cold) or staying off the road. At this point, you have lost the ability to safely control your motorcycle.

That's why it seems funny to me that you would say "I've never worn gloves while riding...always seems to interfere with my control."

hands so cold you can't even feel them anymore doesn't interfere with your riding but gloves do?

You may not watch motorcycle racing. The riders of some of the touchiest machines in the world manage to "stay in touch" with their bikes wearing gloves.

Gloves give better grip in all temperature extremes from super hot to rainy to freezing.
In most cases, I'd agree with you.

But for myself, personally, I've worked most of my life outdoors. Doing stuff like farm work, mechanical repairs and towing/recovery, etc. I've never cared much for gloves, I'm a very "tactile" worker...I can put a water pump on with my eyes closed, but I have to be able to feel what I'm doing.

My hands are therefore so calloused, I really don't feel heat or cold well anymore. I've been known to grab and hold things so hot a normal person couldn't touch it for an instant, and not realize it. For example, I can hold a lit cigarette by the filter and cherry, between thumb and finger indefinitely. Won several bets with that one...

And as far as cold goes...you know how they always told you that if you hold dry ice, you'd get instant frostbite? Bullshit. Maybe YOU would, I don't...handled loads of it barehanded. Never been freeze-burned by Freon contact either.

Hands don't get slow on me in the cold. I do, however, have problems from time to time getting my knees to operate after a cold ride...sometimes I find it takes several attempts to get off the bike....

I have occasionally worn fingerless gloves while riding...but still found having anything on my hands distracting and cutting into my ability to finesse the controls...

But still my advice to anyone else would be the same as yours...I have no doubt that hand protection is the correct way to go...

BTW I hate shoes too. Go barefoot more often than not. (not riding though)...I can walk across a street with asphalt oozing in 100 degree summer sun and not feel it...

I come from a long line of freakishly calloused people

I suppose another reason I have issue with gloves is I have extremely short, thick fingers...putting ANYTHING over them just seems to make them useless stumps, incapable of bending...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes