Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #46
534BC
AF Enthusiast

Re: Excessive Oil Consumption

Even if that did hapen (which it probably won't) making a change to the symtoms (in the wrong direction by making it worse) may indicate what the problem is. The first indication of any fuel leak would be an increase in level, not a decrease.

As far as the possibility of worn rings at 85k is completely understandable and would not surpise me at all. I've learned how to wear out rings in no time doing all sorts of experiments. It is very possible.

In any case I think doing only 1 change at a time is good and will soon see how the thicker oil did. Another post reminds me that a compression test with and without oil in cylinder may check for worn (compression) rings. When pulling plugs a nice story may also be told.
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #47
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 534BC
Even if that did hapen (which it probably won't) making a change to the symtoms (in the wrong direction by making it worse) may indicate what the problem is. The first indication of any fuel leak would be an increase in level, not a decrease.

As far as the possibility of worn rings at 85k is completely understandable and would not surpise me at all. I've learned how to wear out rings in no time doing all sorts of experiments. It is very possible.

In any case I think doing only 1 change at a time is good and will soon see how the thicker oil did. Another post reminds me that a compression test with and without oil in cylinder may check for worn (compression) rings. When pulling plugs a nice story may also be told.
A slow leak could dilute the oil enough that it is being burned more than the level is increasing. Only a small amoutn of fuel in the oil will dilute it enough to make it a lot more consumable.

Thicker oil is a cover up for the real problem. Using thicker oil is not the solution to the problem seeing this engine is made for 5w30 so it should be able to use it no problem.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #48
534BC
AF Enthusiast

I think the idea behind the thick oil is not a fix, but to help find the problem. Although in this case if it does turn out to be some rings or other well worn part then this very "test" may also be a good "fix".
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:23 PM   #49
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Hi Guys, I'm Back again. Here's the latest update. It is Dec. 13 and it has been almost 10 weeks since I last added any oil. My current milage since my last "Crankcase Fill-up" is 2800 miles and I had to add 2 Quarts to bring the oil level back up to the full mark on the dipstick. I changed oil last time to Castrol 10W-40 High Milage, and that is what I added this time. So it doesn't appear to me that the thicker oil helped, nor did the High Milage formula.

There is one ray of sunshine in all of this, I have started to notice a few drops of oil on the driveway now. I suspect the Oil cooler lines, but I will have to corral the kid to keep the Truck home long enough to do a proper inspection.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #50
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Time to do a compression test.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis