Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:53 AM   #31
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JLad10687
Re: Whats a nice import car for 4-5k?

I would say somewhere in the early to mid 90s. You def. want the GSR for the teg or the VTEC for the lude. If you plan on doing alot of engine mods, the integra is probably the cheaper of the two and may be easier to find more mods. Of the actual car, they will probably both be about the same price. Integra may be a little cheaper and easier to find then a vtec prelude.

JLad10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #32
Bboy_Jon
AF Regular

ya i want an integra more i think

how much hp have integras and ludes gotten to?
Bboy_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #33
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

With enough money, thats limitless. It just depends on how much you want to spend. If you put another 5G+ into an integra, you could probably get it to 250 horsepower. Im not 100% sure on that, thats just what I'm estimating. I said only 5G because I think you can find cheaper turbo kits for the integra so if you can turbo it for about 3G, youre in buisiness. Of course, if youre only putting 3G into your turbo system, you wont be able to get 22PSI out of it but the boost will still help exponentially.

No one has mentioned it but I just thought of another car, maybe an early 90s 240SX. Im not sure how tuneable the stock engines are but there is a huge aftermarket for those and if its a project car, its good because you can always pick up the 2R20DET which is highly tuneable. You can def. find one of them cheaper then 5G and maybe even a late 80s early 90s supra or 300ZX. I personally am not a fan of the Acura/Honda high output engines because you're always up at 6000 rpm and I just dont like that winding noise at the high of RPM, it brings tears to my eyes for the engine. The supra, 240, and 300ZX are all RWD too so you will probably get a better launch and I personally feel Toyos and Nissans are much more reliable then Honda.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #34
Bboy_Jon
AF Regular

ya i was thinking of a 240 or a 300zx (id get a supra but i hate the looks of the old ones, and those are the only ones in my price range)

theres a 300zx near me but it has 163k miles on it

240s i can find easily

i wasl aslo checking out preludes and the vtec has 190hp thats nice
Old 12-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #35
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Yea it is hard to find a 1st gen 300Z w/decent mileage. The 240 might be a good idea too. My friends mom has one with 170,000 mi and still running strong.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #36
Bboy_Jon
AF Regular

my friend and i were talking about this 163k mile 300zx, and he said it would be bad to put a turbo in it with that many miles (even tp put it in an integra or somethin with over 100k) is that true?

cuz the compression and stuff

aight well today guys i got into a nice lil accident

snowed today (nos chool) 4-6 inches and i had to work

first day driving in the snow

so ya i go to work JUST fine, and 5 hours later, i leave (gotta tak my co worker home)

so ya im driving, when i stop at the exit of the mall parking lot, i feel my brake like not working, it jerks (im guessing theres some ice and crap, its sliding or somethin)

and so im like wtf, but ya so i keep going, i notice my parking brake light is on, so i stop at a turn (where i have to yield) so i press in the parking brake, and then depress it and the light is still on, so im like wtf

I keep going, stop at a stop light, keep goin, switch lanes and then the turn is coming up, i press the brake (im goina around 25-30) and the brake isnt responding too well, so im almost at the turn, i start turning the wheel and it doesnt WORK!!!!!!!

So ya no matter how much i turn the wheel my car wont turn, so i went straight into the island, so i continue and drive off it (right next to the dudes apartment)

so i continued, almost there and i notice its really hard to steer, like i have to turn the wheel a shit load more than normal, so i park, look at my wheels, and ya a piece of the edge of the rim is missing and my wheel looks flat sorta. And so it take me about 15 min of looking and backing up goin forward (and hearinga squeel in my tires) to notice my wheel is rubbed up against the fender

so basically my axle is fucked, probly a new tire, possibly a new rim

maybe i can get this new car now

sucks that my first time in the snow had to be 6 inches of it

GAY!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:30 AM   #37
Vtec95Civic
AF Enthusiast

You think eclipses are slow, and you want a civic/integra/prelude?

Maybe you should do some research before adding another riced out car to the streets. There's plenty already.
Vtec95Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #38
Bboy_Jon
AF Regular

my sisters boy friends rs is slow (dunno about gsx's) but im sure its not too big of a difference, there big too

eclipses are just as riced out as integras and preludes imo

civic is the first then all those after it
Old 12-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #39
Vtec95Civic
AF Enthusiast

Not that big a difference.. yeah.. mmk..

..Like I said, research first.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #40
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82

That price range, fast, and look alright seems like a 95-99 eclispe GS-T or GSX would be intuitive. Insane aftermarket. Upsettingly common car, but that also makes parts cheaper. Would personally only buying one that is completely stock and private party and trying to get a feel from the owner.
Chad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:51 PM   #41
Bboy_Jon
AF Regular

i dont like eclipses though
Old 12-09-2005, 11:54 PM   #42
Chad82
AF Regular

Might want to do a bit more reasearch (actually test drive one). The GSX/T are basically a different class than the RS

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html can give you some times.

A GSX can get you a 13 second quarter mile with relative ease.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #43
Vtec95Civic
AF Enthusiast

If you don't like Eclipses a Prelude or Integra would be your best bet.. just don't expect a lot of speed out of it.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 AM   #44
Bboy_Jon
AF Regular

ive looked there already, the integra times and preludes arent much different then the gsx's

plus i dont want a eclipse as ive already stated, my sisters boy friend has one (theve been dating for quite some time now and may possibly get married in a few years) i dont wanna have the same car as him
Old 12-10-2005, 01:46 AM   #45
Chad82
AF Regular

Re: Re: Whats a nice import car for 4-5k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy_Jon
ive looked there already, the integra times and preludes arent much different then the gsx's

plus i dont want a eclipse as ive already stated, my sisters boy friend has one (theve been dating for quite some time now and may possibly get married in a few years) i dont wanna have the same car as him

Thats understandable. I was reading before that you were not wanting it more because you thought they were slowing (based off of RS) rather than because you know someone with one (which I also tend to agree with). Sorry for that misunderstanding.

Another car I would suggest would be a 91-95 Toyota MR2. Amazing handling, with the turbo awesome acceleration (the naturally asperated has nice acceleration too, but tends to level out) and a rather unique car. Quite reliable. The aftermarket on them isn't too huge to my knowledge, but you could always upgrade the turbo, I suppose. The previous generation supercharged one is also a viable option, but I find it to be a bit ugly. But the handling on that is even better (best handling car I have ever driven, and I have driven all the different BMWs and what not).

Stock it will do a low 6 0-60 and 14.X quarter. The engine is pretty much bullet proof, too, and is relatively easy to work on. One of the few accessible mid engine cars. Rear wheel drive. Only seats 2, though.

Also I would check out the 92-97 Subaru SVX. Virtually no aftermarket parts available. A rather eclectic design (either love it or hate it). Ample front and rear seating. Acceleration wise it is comparable to the hondas/integras, but you won't have the high-end available at the lower prices (pretty much everything would have to be custom made). Astonishing easy to work on, but the parts themselves are pretty expensive. The transmission only comes in auto, but from what I have heard by people who dropped a supercharger and added nitrous, it handled the additional power no problem.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A