Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
Question To much Bike for Beginner?

Now that i know what i'll be making and wont have to live paycheck to paycheck anymore i was thinking of broadening my horizons and getting a Sport bike. And i've always been really impressed with Ducati, and you dont really see to many of those if any at all where i'm from, mostly suzuki's and yamaha's. Anyway, i was looking into something like the one in the link below. Do you think that would be to much for a starting bike? I feel pretty confident in the fact that i'm a quick learner. What do you guys think though?

Linky

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
karll
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to karll
best info on begginer bikes though im sure you may have read this.

Everyone on the forum says 600cc or smaller. And if it is 600cc then it ought to be an older bike. Apparently it's a lot easier to kill yourself with 600ccs than 250ccs.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Re: To much Bike for Beginner?

Well i would definately say it falls under the negative category for a beginner then. Especially since my only experience is riding dirt bikes...way different. I'm still going to look into Ducati though, they have my eye.

AF User Guidelines

Old 08-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
karll
AF Regular

From what I hear they are a lot of maintenace. Apparently it costs a lot to get them serviced or something. All hearsay. Just things I've read.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by karll
From what I hear they are a lot of maintenace. Apparently it costs a lot to get them serviced or something. All hearsay. Just things I've read.

Interesting, i'll keep that in mind to, although i work at a GM dealer so i have a shop to use after hours. I'll do the work myself most likely, which will save on labor costs.

AF User Guidelines

Old 08-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Josh, welcome to my forum!

That said, you can't do a lot of work on Ducati's because you need special tools that are NOT for sale to the public. Do yourself a favor, there is a REASON that Suzuki and Yamaha (et. al.) are around so often... they aren't in the shop getting fixed.

Take it with my $.02 and a grain of salt, though.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Re: Re: To much Bike for Beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturntangerine
Josh, welcome to my forum!

That said, you can't do a lot of work on Ducati's because you need special tools that are NOT for sale to the public. Do yourself a favor, there is a REASON that Suzuki and Yamaha (et. al.) are around so often... they aren't in the shop getting fixed.

Take it with my $.02 and a grain of salt, though.

Well since YOU said it, i'll take your word for it. That sucks though, those are some sexy bikes. I'm gonna take some classes this winter, and hopefully i'll get a bike by next summer. So i'll have plenty of more time to research this. Maybe take a cruise out to good ole PA again next summer , that was fun. Thanks for the advice you two.

AF User Guidelines

Old 08-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
karll
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: To much Bike for Beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Josh
Well since YOU said it, i'll take your word for it. That sucks though, those are some sexy bikes. I'm gonna take some classes this winter, and hopefully i'll get a bike by next summer. So i'll have plenty of more time to research this. Maybe take a cruise out to good ole PA again next summer , that was fun. Thanks for the advice you two.

Oh so you trust the tangerine, who has plenty of experience and knowledge about bikes, but you don't trust good old karll has just read a bunch of stuff. Yea I see how it is. just messing. Glad to be of some help for a change.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
Aces0vr8s
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aces0vr8s Send a message via Yahoo to Aces0vr8s
why a ducati...hell mise well get a twin turbo charged NAAWWSSSS equiped 1300 Busa! if your gonna go out do it with a bang!
Aces0vr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #10
King Of Crunk
AF Enthusiast

you'll have to excuse ace.... he has H.A.S-Horsepower addiction syndrome.... and he likes to throw in some ricer talk too.... welcome to the bike forums josh and if you have some decent riding experience i wouuld go with the duke...they're great italian machines.... and if you can fix em yourself they shouldn't be too much to fix... good luck..

DO IT REAL BIG CREW #1
THE OLD DIRTY BASTARDS CREW #5
2004 Honda CBR 1000RR - It Gets The Ladies
2004 Caddilac Escalade - Brings 'Em Home
King Of Crunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:08 AM   #11
DealsGap
AF Regular

Ok, lots of misinformation going on here.

I used to own an SS series Ducati and it had just turned 50k miles of ultra-agressive riding when I sold it. The bike never had 1 single failure or problem from 1993 when it was bought new up until 2003 when I sold it. I don't know if anything has changed now, but the previous generation of Ducati Supersports gets my vote as one of, if not the best motorcycle ever built. It did everything I ever asked of it, and it did it without a hiccup. They even crash well too...

Valves have a suggested service interval that is more frequent than the jap bikes, but out of 50k miles I had 1 valve that was ever even adjusted and it wasnt even out of spec. Valve services are a bit pricey, and trustworthy Ducati mechanics can be hard to find, but its not anywhere near the horror story people will make it out to be. You can buy the valve adjustment tools yourself, but I do NOT recommend you ever try it yourself without having been trained by the factory.

As far as engine size, CC's is a bad way to judge a motorcycles performance. The SS series Ducati's are not a pure sportbike. They are really in their own little niche market, best compared to something like an SV650 in the japanese world. They are capable of everything from commuting to club racing, and are bulletproof designs. That said, they are not the high tech, on-edge race machines that the japanese sportbikes are. Ducati has a different line of bikes for that purpose. The SS series bikes are a great, easy to ride, torquey twin that I dont think you can go wrong with. I would suggest a 750SS as a great introduction to the sportbike world.

If I could afford a Ducati track bike, you can believe there would be one of the 4-valve models in my garage right now instead of my R6. Nothing flies like a Duc!
DealsGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:09 AM   #12
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

hmm, interesting...

The plot thickens...

AF User Guidelines

Old 08-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #13
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Welcome to the forum Josh! Good luck on your future purchase, but please be aware of the responsibilities when riding. Bikes are very fast, and their capabilities more than likely outweigh the riders (especially a new rider). There are people who are really good on a bike, but it didn't happen overnight. Making a smart first bike decision helps keep your skin off the pavement.

As far as Ducati's go I can't really say I know to much about them. I've never owned one, nor any of my friends. All I know is that my 93 CBR 600 is as strong as its ever been with 19k miles. No problems at all. Plus the transmission is as smooth as a babies behind. If you are interested in checking out some of the Ducati SS's, I would also look into the Suzuki SV's. Their both a V-twin, and believe me when I say that a V-twin with a pipe is about the best sounding bike you will hear.

thats when mine starts.
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Not to be picky, but I think the sweet sound of v-twin is debatable. I never came to terms with how it could be the best sound on bikes. I mean I hate the potatoe-chopper sounds made my Harleys, and haven't found the special vibe from sportbike twins. It's personal for every person. Because it's pretty much 4-stroke inline that gets me off. I'm not a fan of whiny 2-stroke GP bikes and dirtbikes sounds either.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Yeah i gotta say that V Twin sounds really curdles my blood in a good way. I'm sure they make some Ducati's for beginners, i'll look into all the bikes i can before i make an exact decision, thanks for all the input guys!

AF User Guidelines

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes