Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
hunter4ever12
AF Regular

Replaced u joints now bad vibration

So I have a 2000 Chevy blazer that I found to have a bad u joint on the rear driveshaft. So marked the shaft, removed it and put new u joints in all around. Now I have a bad vibration (worse than with old bad u joint) I rotated the shaft 180 degrees from where it was as some said this will fix it. It did help but still have a slight vibration. My biggest concern tho is the rear u joint that bolts to the read diff yoke. The yoke on the rear differential does not have any "ears" to hold the cups in. On the OEM u joint there was a retainer strap that went from one u joint cup to the other thus keeping the cups in place. The new u joints do not have that and I have searched high and low to find an aftermarket one that does but have had no luck. So my question is does anybody know where to get a u joint with that retainer? I think that's my problem, my cups are moving in the yoke because there is nothing to hold them in one spot. So it's safe to say that until I get that taken care of my blazer is unsafe to drive. Any help in the right direction is appreciated.
hunter4ever12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Replaced u joints now bad vibration

The new joints should have come with a set of tensioned "c" clips that snap into the groove of the bearing caps. This keeps the u-joint set where it needs to be.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...5_pri_larg.jpg
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
hunter4ever12
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
The new joints should have come with a set of tensioned "c" clips that snap into the groove of the bearing caps. This keeps the u-joint set where it needs to be.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...5_pri_larg.jpg
I installed the c clips on the caps that were pressed into the driveshaft but not the other two. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like there isn't room for the clips in the rear yoke. Between that and the holdown clamps I am fairly certain the clips will not work...I could be wrong and will take another look at it this evening. Problem is I already pitched the other two c clips... I guess I'm going to have to hunt down a snap ring that will fit it, or buy a whole new u joint to just get the two clips.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4ever12 View Post
I installed the c clips on the caps that were pressed into the driveshaft but not the other two. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like there isn't room for the clips in the rear yoke. Between that and the holdown clamps I am fairly certain the clips will not work...I could be wrong and will take another look at it this evening. Problem is I already pitched the other two c clips... I guess I'm going to have to hunt down a snap ring that will fit it, or buy a whole new u joint to just get the two clips.
Yeah, they need to go on the two with the hold down clamps also, it's usually a tight fit, but they need to be on.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

on my 2000 silverado I found so many U joints listed and finally found the correct ones. I have the huge alum drive shaft so what happened was the U joint cap bearings seized on one . the front yoke was good but I purchased those any way but did not install . both on my truck are different U joints , not sure on the blazer..... but the ones you installed should be exactly the same .. bring old ones in to the part store and compare. find numbers that say it will fit .. then compare. it its not the same do not install them . axle is most likely not in line off centered etc..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/ Search item 252094260902
Look at picture notice small dogs at the end that hold in the universal joint on the yoke.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
hunter4ever12
AF Regular

Found my problem... I did end up getting the rear one to fit into the yoke with the clips so the caps wouldn't move...I also found the front u joint was "binding up" ever so slightly. When I installed it the front moved free and smooth but the caps must have not been seated all the way and after driving a short distance they moved...couple of light smacks to one of the caps and the opposite yoke ear and it was as smooth as butter again. Reinstalled the driveshaft and problem solved no more vibration.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer