Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Tisch22
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1999 Chrysler Sebring Problem

Hello,

Warning: I AM NOT A CAR GUY, I AM A TECH GUY!

My name is Eric, not like it matters much although oh well. Anyways, i'm 19 and I finally got my first car. The one I can call my OWN. Big words to me, anyways, I just bought a 1999 Chrysler Sebring (The one with the sunroof). So I've had the problem a few times and there were other surprising times when it didn't happen. It seems as when I turn the key to start the car everything lights up. There's just one problem though...turning over (I think that's the word for it). You'll here it go GRRRRRRRRR (In a lack of better words) like a normal car would go and then you can drive off. Well mine stays at the GRRRRRR and won't fully start. Then there are other times when it may take 2-3 seconds and finally start. (Note, it's -10 at times here). Second time it happened was when I went to go get my check from my job...started sleeting here so I stopped at O'reilly Parts for some windshield wipers (Had to ask the guy to put them on for me), next thing I know if it won't start! I told the guy the first time that helped was for him to jump start me...apparently it worked even though it shouldn't. I took it to the place that sold it to me and they ran some codes. As far as I know all I seen for errors were something with air bags (I think) and he said the Auto Shutoff Relay switch. The thingy in the back that is in the middle of two other switches (I watched). He said to foggle with it and see what happens. It doesn't help very much. Anything I can try? Anything I can do? If so, please let me know, I would appreciate it very much. Also, sorry for the lack of knowledge...just usually wasn't my thing...

-Eric
Tisch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 AM   #2
jerryg2112
AF Regular

Re: 1999 Chrysler Sebring Problem

One possibility is a failing fuel pump. When they start to go they don't usually just quit. It won't start, just crank. Then later it starts again just fine. Or you get longer cranking before it does start. You can check your fuel pressure with a fuel gauge. There is a fitting for this on the fuel rail which supplies your injectors. If you don't have a gauge you can at least listen for the pump to prime. If you just turn the key to ON but not enough to crank the engine the pump will prime(run for several seconds to build up pressure) then stop. You can hear this if you listen. There is a humming noise coming from the gas tank. Turn the key off and on to prime it again. Once you know what it sounds like you can listen for it when your car doesn't start again.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chrysler , sebring , stalling , startup
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible