Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
p0o_bear12
AF Newbie

Smile Looking to buy a new/used car

I am a 24 year old (turning 25 in September). I've had two cars since I started driving. My first car being a 1995 Mercedes-Benz C280 and my current car which I am looking to trade in; 2002 Lexus is300. I am looking for a affordable reliable, safe car with some horse power, that is also gas efficient. I am leaning towards a German car. I miss my Benz and the way it handled compared to my Lexus. I know German cars are made very well and are made to last. So far I've been considering: 2010 Audi a4, 2010 Acura TSX, 2013 Acura ILX, VW Passat V6 SEL Premium, & 2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Any suggestions or advice about any of these cars?

Last edited by p0o_bear12; 07-04-2012 at 05:32 PM.
p0o_bear12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: Looking to buy a new/used car

German cars are also notoriously expensive to maintain... but you seem to have expensive taste and probably remember the repair costs for your Benz.

I would RUN from the Jeep - the newer Jeeps have had tons of problems IIRC. Honestly, out of your list, I personally would look probably only at the Acuras as Honda reliability is undeniable (and maintenance is probably cheaper than any of the others).

Let us know what you finally decide!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
Admaster
AF Newbie

Five things you need to know when buying a used car

When purchasing a used car, it is important to understand how dealerships make their money. You should keep in mind that the purchase price of the car is far from the only way the dealer can maximize the amount of money they can make off of selling you a used car. If you understand the other ways they can make money, you can make sure you don't become a victim of good salesmanship.

1. I would say number one trick that is used is charging you a higher rate on financing than you can get on your own. The dealership gets paid a fee for overcharging you on the rate, so always arrange financing before you go to the dealership. Don't tell them you have done so until you are ready to pay. They will get angry and say things like the financing check you brought is no good, but just ignore this tactic. Let them know the only way they are selling the car is to accept your outside financing. You will probably face less aggravation if you refuse to even fill out a credit application. You don't need an additional credit inquiry anyways. They get angry at this because they offered you a good price on the car while planning to make their money on the financing.

2. Extras such as undercoating, dealer added options, and longer warranties can all be shopped around for after buying the car. If you buy them when purchasing the car, you may not be getting the best deal.

3. Chances are if the car your buying has been in an accident, the dealer won't tell you even if they know it has. If you don't trust yourself to see the signs of repair work, have a trusted mechanic look over the vehicle. Cars that have been in accidents often have greater maintenance problems than those that haven't. Services such as Carfax may be helpful, but can't guarantee they have all accident information. Some people never report accidents and fix the car themselves to keep their insurance rate lower.

4. If you plan on trading in a vehicle, don't expect to get its true value from the dealer. They are going to underpay you for your vehicle. The only tactic which may get you a fair price for it is if you refuse to do a deal unless they pay off your current auto loan. Otherwise you may just be better off selling it on your own.

5. The dealer always wants you to buy the most expensive car your willing to buy and will repeatedly suggest the nicer more expensive car, know what you want before you begin to deal or you may end up buying more car than you can afford.

You’re the one that has to live with the car for years, so don't buy on impulse and take the time to get the best deal.

FOR COMPLETE GUIDE CLICK HERE

Admaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
zjpk84
AF Newbie

Affordable, reliable, safe, powerful, fuel efficient. Haha. That's the unicorn of the car world. Does it actually exist?

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a 2009 BMW 335 diesel. If you get it used, it should be close to the price range of the vehicles you are considering. For fuel economy, they'll do mid/high 30's on the highway. My coworker has one and loves it. You get the increased fuel economy with the best in class performance of a 3-series. And diesel engines tend to be more reliable in general - although I don't know specifically about the 335d.

Some thoughts from Car and Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...335d-road-test

If you care about how well they drive, stick with German cars. An Acura is a Honda with a nicer interior and updated sheet metal. It still a honda chassis and drives like a Honda. Same is true for a Lexus with Toyota, which you've already noted isn't good enough.

Not sure how the Jeep fits into that mix, but its not going to drive well, it won't be safe, it has no power, and it isn't fuel efficient. So doesn't fit your criteria.

Good luck!
zjpk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zjpk84 For This Useful Post:
Ray paulsen (10-25-2012)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A