Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
nathoonder
AF Newbie

Bad sensor? Bad key? Anti-theft system? Bizzare problem.

Oldsmobile 88 1992 3.8L Eng.

Okay, so I was driving down the road when my car completely shut off,all the warning lights came on, the brake pedal became rigid, and I lost my power steering. I managed to turn onto a side road as the car came to a stop. I tried restarting the car, the engine would turn but the car wouldn't start. The radio, lights and windows worked. About 10 minutes later the car started right back up and ran fine although the brake warning light was still on.. However it did this exact whole routine twice more on the ride home.. Other than this the car runs fine... Oh and the gas gauge is way off (Still says I'm full). The brake warning light doesn't come on any longer as well.

Now I took it to my bro's buddy who is a mechanic in training, he hooked it up to his computer and it said it was giving anti theft code and that it was most likely a bad key... When I went to get a new key they told me the key was acting up BUT if my car was already running the key/anti-theft system wouldn't give me trouble... And another mechanic said roughly the same thing.. If it's already running the anti-theft won't effect the car and that the crank sensors are known to go on the fritz with the 3.8s.

So now I'm wondering should I take it somewhere else to get it scanned, or just get a new key and see if it happens again?.. The car seems to run fine on short trips, drove it to work today (4 minute trip) and to the library (10 minute trip) and no problem....Advice would be much appreciated
nathoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Bad sensor? Bad key? Anti-theft system? Bizzare problem.

The security system will not kill a car once it is started and running......

If you have a problem with the security system, it won't even crank over......I wouldn't waste my money on a new key......

You do have a problem if the car starts and runs, but the SECURITY light stays on constantly......what this means is, the security problem happened after the car started, and is a kind of backup mode.....

What you have to do, is check for spark, fuel pressure, and injector pulse, when the car dies, and then cranks over but doesn't start.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
LSS MAN
AF Newbie

Re: Bad sensor? Bad key? Anti-theft system? Bizzare problem.

I have a 1996 Olds LSS. The "SECURITY" light on the dash display is always ON when the car is running. This means I have NO security system. Car starts and runs, no problem for several years now. Punched out the resistor out of one of my spare keys and it starts the car just fine. There is a computer somewhere that doesn't work. Fortunately it failed so I can still start the car. The computer is not available so I don't worry about it. If somebody wants to steal a 23 year old car with 313,000 miles on it then go for it. Insurance value is zilch. There isn't a useful part in the entire car.
LSS MAN is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight