Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 914
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
jselous
AF Newbie

Unhappy please help me idle my 914!

hi everyone. i've always loved the 914 and finally bought one. i really don't have much money, so i bought one that sorta runs. my deal is it will not idle. i've been messing around with the throttle links on the engine. i bought the haynes book but still can't figure it out. what do i do take to a shop or is this an easy fix? please help me i finally have a 914 and i can't even drive it. my wife is about to kill me for buying one.

thank you
jselous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
jks22
AF Newbie

Re: please help me idle my 914!

Chances are, you have a massive vacuum leak. Listen for a hissing noise if you can get the car to run just above idle speed. There are a lot of vaccuum lines on that enguine, so I would start there. It is even possible that the Intake ruunner pipes leak where they attach to the cylinder heads. One method, THOUGH PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION AND STAY AWAY FROM THE DISTRIBUTOR, to find a vacuum leak is to spray small amounts of carb spray (ideally propane) near connections in the intake system and around the fuel injectors and look for the RPM's to increase. Besides all that, depending on the year and engine, there is an auxillary air valve for idling or an auxillary warm up regulator.

Be patient, take your time doing one thing at a time and you should find the problem. One more thing that enters my mind is that the breakerpoint gap could be way out of adjustment or worn out. Without at least some breaker point gap, I know that these cars won't idle. BE CAREFUL WORKING AROUND THE DISTRIBUTOR AND ITS INTERNAL PARTS. BE CERTAIN THE KEY IS OFF OR YOU COULD GET A SMALL SAMPLE OF THE ELECTRIC CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck and I hope that I have helped somewhat
jks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Dfisher40
AF Newbie

Jse,
I have to ask.
What setup are you running on this old beater?
Does it have the original fuel injection system?
Has it been converted to carberator?
What size motor? How bad is it leaking/burning oil?
How bad is the ass sagging?
Give us the general info.
Dave
Dfisher40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
jks22
AF Newbie

Question Re: please help me idle my 914!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfisher40
Jse,
I have to ask.
What setup are you running on this old beater?
Does it have the original fuel injection system?
Has it been converted to carberator?
What size motor? How bad is it leaking/burning oil?
How bad is the ass sagging?
Give us the general info.
Dave

JKS: DFisher makes some very good points. However, Have you tried any of the suggestions That I gave you previously? If you are not mechanically inclined or have little or no auto experience, you may be best served to take your vehicle to a repair show that specializes in volkswagon/porsche. Even a regular repair shop has the capabilities to perform these basic tests.

I wish you luck. YOU CAN BEAT THIS, JUST TRY!!!!!!!

gks22 8-4-05
jks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
jselous
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: please help me idle my 914!

Thanks alot for your info! I have the idle fixed. I changed all the hoses, plugs, oil and its sounding good. But then as i fixed that problem, I checked my brakes and my right rear had calipers, but no pads and all. So now I bought a used caliper for $50.00 and as I write this i am working on it. can't wait to dirve my baby!

Thanks Again
jselous is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 914