Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Amigo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
fuyo
AF Newbie

Unhappy 95 Isuzu Rodeo starter problem

Greetings Forum,
I own a 95 Rodeo V6, 3.2L for ten years now. It seems that my starter has finally had it, however, I would like to know if anyone here has experienced my particular problem.

I attempted to start the car and heard a click, click, click and then nothing happened. I tried it again and the same clicks occurred once again, but this time after the third click it started. When I tried to shut the car off by turning the key to the off position on the ignition , the damn car just continued to run. Finally I disconnected the + battery cable and the car shut down. When I connected the + battery cable again, the car attempted to start from the battery, however, the battery prod began to burn.

I checked the ignition switch to make sure that it wasn't defective and even disconnected it. The damn car is still attempting to start directly from the battery. I would appreciate any related stories or suggestions.
Thanks,
Fuyo
fuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw
Re: 95 Isuzu Rodeo starter problem

replace the starter relay and the sterter
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
fuyo
AF Newbie

Your the man 2eyefishclaw; your suggestion worked out to the T. Thanks a million!
Fuyo
fuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
davex13
AF Newbie

Been there! No short cuts, has to remove piece of front pipe on the left to get the starter out. Do that will save you lots of frustration. I've just dne mine. Good luck!
davex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:27 AM   #5
Kevin K
AF Newbie

I have a 1995.5 Rodeo 3.2L just like Fuyo and am beginning to have the exact same problem with starting. Click, click, click, and then eventually it starts. (No problem with it not shutting off or anything like Fuyo had). So do I have to replace just the solenoid or the starter or starter relay or what? And from what I've just read from davex 13, it looks like I'll need to remove part of the exhaust pipe to get at it????? Never have done anything like this so any help would be appreciated.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Ray031988
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K
I have a 1995.5 Rodeo 3.2L just like Fuyo and am beginning to have the exact same problem with starting. Click, click, click, and then eventually it starts. (No problem with it not shutting off or anything like Fuyo had). So do I have to replace just the solenoid or the starter or starter relay or what? And from what I've just read from davex 13, it looks like I'll need to remove part of the exhaust pipe to get at it????? Never have done anything like this so any help would be appreciated.
I have the same problem. So do you have to remove the exhaust? If so should I just take it in to get done?
Ray031988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
gangstead
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K
I have a 1999 Amigo 3.2L and it has the same problem as Kevin K and Ray031988. Sometimes you turn the key once *click* (only one click), then turn the key a second time and it starts right up. I would be really interested to know what it takes to fix this, taking the starter out sounds double plus unfun so I want to avoid servicing it unnecessarily.
gangstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Philscbx
AF Newbie

Kevin K, gangstead, Ray031988 , You all have the same issue.

You could take the starter out and just replace the starter solenoid.
But that is bad advice even if it's replaced.
The starter has bushings and brushes that will only get worse, and your dead again.
The solenoid is just a huge relay switch with plunger to throw the starter gear into flywheel and connect the battery to the starter at the same time.

Post no 2 is your only choice, and you have winter coming that will demand
even more from the starter.
You can make the mission easier by presoaking all possible fittings that will need to be serviced. If a day goes by, then resoak again. And or spray on LPS 3 to keep fittings wet.

If you have the time, you could get the necessary starter kit, and process it Yourself.
Cleaned and lubed, they last a long time, and quite simple to do. You'll save a cool 100 bucks easy.

Last edited by Philscbx; 08-03-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Philscbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
gangstead
AF Newbie

Thanks yall. It definitely was the starter. I purchased a "remanufactured" starter from Autozone for $125 and it went in and the car was off the jacks and starting perfectly in 1.5 hours.

I don't know about the 1995 Rodeos, but for my 1999 Isuzu Amigo V6 2WD there is no exhaust cutting or engine bolt removal.

The starter is up kind of above the oil pan. There was a small bracket or splash guard in the way of the bolts that unbolted with two 10mm bolts and then two 14mm bolts for the starter. I used an extension and 3/8" drive sockets. The bolts came out easily (some places online say to use 1/2" drive hardware, these are also the places that say you have to cut the exhaust pipe). Work the starter out towards the front of the car, it won't come out going straight down, and undo the two cables (the negative snaps out, the positive needs a 12mm wrench). Connect new starter and work it back into place and bolt it back in. Start your car with one turn of the key. One of the easiest of the many Isuzu repairs I have done.

I say all this because all the advice onine makes this sound like a huge job to do, and I want people who are searching the internet to find one person who says it is not that difficult ... at least for my particular model. I don't know if the difference is just my year or everyone else has 4WD or if I'm more than a little lucky, because in most other respects the Amigo is just a longer Rodeo with few other differences. Either way before you go to the mechanic because you don't want to cut exhaust pipes go ahead and crawl under the car and check it out, it may not be too hard of a job. It may be of help to go ahead and buy the replacement starter from Autozone so you can tell what you are looking for and how it bolts in there. You can always return it.
gangstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
joyale
AF Newbie

I just replaced the starter on my 96 3.2L Rodeo & it was the longest it has ever taken me to change a starter & a 4 hour learning curve... I jacked it up & removed the front left wheel & pulled back fender flap which gave me a little better access & view... I removed 2 heat shields, unbolted the starter, disconnected the wiring but could not pull the starter free & waisted time trying to...
I tried to remove the 3 manifold bolts but they were to corroded & I didn't want to cut into it because that would amount to another problem to fix...
I then moved the starter in that limited space to remove the 2 long bolts retaining the solenoid & disconnected it from the starter & was able to pull the it free in 2 pieces...
Installation was the reverse order & my knuckles are sore from working my hands in such a confined space but the job is done...
joyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #11
wholesalecarparts
AF Newbie

I understand your problem. This is the time to replace your starter. As the maintenance cost is more, so it's better to replace car engine, starter at a great deal. You can opt from online auto parts shop as per your need.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
trapertom
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 95 Isuzu Rodeo starter problem

I have a 1995 Rodeo L/S . and I changed the starter in about 45 minutes. I just removed the 14 mm bolts holding the starter in and slid the starter out toward the front. It was a tight fit, but manageable. I unsnapped my negative connection, and unhooked my positive connection on the starter when you hook up the positive cable, make sure the wire is facing forward, or it will not go in. it was pretty easy with the right tools. I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a long extension, and a 3/8 universal,and a 14 mm socket.from this forum, I thought it was going to be difficult,, but it was amazingly easy. I bought my starter at DB electrical and it was only $60 with no core charge. I hope that this post will help somebody.
trapertom is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Amigo