Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #16
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Re: MFH 908/03 - 1970 Targa Florio - Siffert\Redman

Great looking work!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #17
lezdep
AF Regular

Fantastic work ! Engine looks well used. May be you should leave it this way.
I think that may be a good representation of used engine from real car.
lezdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Hey Guys,

yes, I did get a door from Kyoko Hiro, who sent it to me in a Hello Kitty candy box from Japan. I've had some missing-parts troubles with this kit for sure. Most recently I discovered the fuel line pictured in the previous pics was missing, but she was able to get me that inside of a week as well. Still, that's the third thing I've had to write off for...

Thanks for the kind words. I do intend to weather the kit (as you can probably tell ), but the worn off paint just doesn't look quite right. Seems like every time I look at the thing I see something else I need to go back and fix up.

Glacial, I tell ya...

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Glacial or not, it's looking good to me! If I had one of these kits it would probably never even get built, so any pace is good, I think...

Have fun!

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #20
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the good words SB!

OK, I did manage to knock out the gearbox over the weekend, so thought I'd throw another few shots up here. The springlike weather here for the past couple of weeks has been much more conducive to spending a little time in the garage.

Next up is the exhaust, then we can lower this assembly into the rear framework. After it's built of course...

ianc
Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #21
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Hi folks,

My wife and daughter are out of town visiting relatives for a couple weeks, so there's a little more progress than usual; I've finished up the exhaust (all 10 pieces of it...) and mounted it to the engine (minus the tailpipes, which would be too fragile), then dropped that into the rear frame. Here are some pics of the completed engine in the rear frame, and some mock ups of it and the cockpit together:

Next will be the rear suspension members, then further frame components, oil and gas tanks, etc.

As usual, thanks for stopping by,

ianc
Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #22
denilsonvm
AF Enthusiast

Great job Ianc!!!!
denilsonvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:39 AM   #23
fanalone
AF Regular

WOOOOONNNN, great work and beautiful sport with Gulf colors.
fanalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #24
guillote68
AF Newbie

Amazing job, im not a big fan of this cars in 1/1 scale, but you got me attention with this build!!!
Thanks for share.
Guillermo

guillote68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #25
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Well, we're making some steady progress here, although it's taking a helluva long time...

First I had to pull the engine back out of the tube frame as shown above because I still had the brake lines and fittings to wrap up:

Once those were added, I could mount the engine back in its cradle and start work on the rear suspension components. Those were built up and mounted, then the frame wrapped up including rear tail lights, jack, etc. Finally, in a particularly hair-raising operation, the entire rear clip was married up to the cockpit by means of two 3x1 mm screws and a large quantity of liquid superglue:

Of interest, if you compare the configuration of the fiberglass trans cooling ducts to those of SB's build, they appear completely different, and at first I was very skeptical that MFH hadn't bungled things there. It turns out that a Swiss fellow who was building this kit on a German forum that I sometimes visit had complained of the same thing to MFH, and they responded with these shots, which he forwarded on to me. Although they're hardly the gold standard in clarity, and show Elford/Hermann's #20 car and Attwood/Waldegard's #36 rather than Siffert\Redman's #12, they seem to suggest a different configuration, which was apparently modified later for the Nurburgring races:

Next will come building out the sides of the frame next to the engine, so the tanks, pumps, and oil and fuel lines can be added. After endlessly studying the photos of SB's 1/8 908 build and Derek Collin's priceless shots of his shop's 908 restoration, I think I have a pretty good handle on how these are routed. I'm pretty proud of myself that I didn't go whining to them for more info.

In addition to that, I've also to take care of the seat belts (currently on hold until I can locate the PE buckle that mysteriously disappeared off the face of the earth) and the dash wiring. I'd like to locate some very small shrink tubing to wrap the wires up in as this was standard Porsche practice, but am having difficulty locating anything in the correct scale. I've seen 1/16" and 3/64" available, but either not in black, or not in smallish quantities. Anyone seen anything like that?

Anyway, there you go for this quarter's installment. Thanks for stopping by!

ianc
Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
gtziaf
AF Enthusiast

Love your work and the racy or 'polemic' look from your weathering.

Visit our Greek Modelling Forum :
http://scalewheels-gr.com/
gtziaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #27
Greg23
AF Enthusiast

Pulling an engine on this scale is a lot easier. It should be so easy all the time.

Looking very good.
Greg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #28
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Interesting stuff, Ian - I don't think I've seen those photos, especially with the jack hung under the rear frame like that. Makes sense, though - why carry a spare wheel, if you can't lift the car!

I like the way the rear of the chassis frame has been designed to fit together after the engine and gearbox has been fitted - I guess the frame holds it shape well enough? Must make life a little easier - I wish I could have done it on mine...

Keep up the good work!

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports