Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #16
nemets88
AF Newbie

you really seem to know your stuff, but i guess that comes with experience. And about the comment i made on mechanics, that's just simply my opinion. They seem to frequently overcharge, and it's just as easy and cheap to do things myself. On top of that, it's a learning experience. I had a bonneville for my last car, and the two back doors wouldn't work. They were stuck shut. I took the car to get an estimate on how much it would cost to get them fixed, and i got word that to replace the pins in the door and realign them (by the way, bonneville doors were horribly made) would cost me over 350 dollars. Now being a kid in high school with only a summer full time job and no money, i decided to tackle the problem myself, and i found a way to rig up my door so at least one of them would open from the inside. It cost me nothing.
nemets88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #17
burrelld
AF Newbie

Re: Oil Leak

[quote= Now being a kid in high school with only a summer full time job and no money, i decided to tackle the problem myself, and i found a way to rig up my door so at least one of them would open from the inside. It cost me nothing.[/QUOTE]

----------Down through the years, because I neither drink or take drugs, although I've been excessive in my sexual life, I've found that working on cars, much of the time, is a one "true constant" in my life. Normally, if you repair a car correctly, with attention and care, it works.

That is certainly not true in situations that occur daily in your business or personal life. Sometimes there you "fail" no matter how hard you tried or worked, or how much effort or time you put into it.
But, sometimes with cars, the fact that the engineering from the factory was so screwed up in the first place, and you fixed it, gives a profound feeling of success and achievement.

Also working on mechanical things, and doing it right with proper care and attention, engrains within you a proper sense of how things should be and a true sense of yourself. So, when confronted with the "real" world, and the people in it, you don't lose heart.

So do the work, do it right, and don't get too bothered with all of the other bull-s**t going on in the world every day.
burrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #18
nemets88
AF Newbie

Amen
Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
burrelld
AF Newbie

Re: Oil Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemets88
Amen
...If you are doing many of your own repairs, with a short supply of cash, go and check out the web site http://www.autohausaz.com - because of all of the various on-line parts suppliers they tend to run about 10% to 15% less for small parts, belts, spark plugs, etc. than other on-line auto parts suppliers.

I've bought many parts for my Mercedes 420SEL and my Honda stationwagon from them and their lower prices on the parts helps cover the shipping costs. Orders over $50.00 get free shipping.
burrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #20
nemets88
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Oil Leak

thanks for the advice...i will take that...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable