Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
solaris=amazing
AF Enthusiast

Question WTH Do Oil Filters Come Loose..?

Today, i came out of a store and noticed a puddle of anti-freeze....i was like....WTF.....

Anyway, 2 min's later i get home, and get under the car...to see where the anti freeze was dripping from. Thank goodness...NO LEAK at all-must have been there before i parked my car... THIS was a good thing, cause when i was underneath..i noticed my oil filter was LOOSE..2 full turns loose, and i was a quart low. I just got my oil changed a month ago-and i always tell them to make sure the filter is tight.

Why do these filters come loose..? Does it have something to do with pressure..? Maybe they left it loose......

Dead men naked, they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone
They shall have stars at elbow and foot
Though they go mad, they shall be sane
Though they sink through the sea
They shall rise again
Though lovers be lost love shall not
And death shall have no dominion.....
....Dylan Thomas....
solaris=amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:33 AM   #2
benchtest
AF Enthusiast

Re: WTH Do Oil Filters Come Loose..?

The question is: was it ever tight? Anything that heats and cools has the potential to loosen, but I've never seen a properly installed filter come loose. But, anything is possible.

"I would never doubt your expertise....it's obvious you wrote the book on stupidity!" DD
benchtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

well proper installation is to get it hand tight and then turn it 1/4-1/2 of a turn with a wrench. they can usually be tightened further but it may damage the rubber gasket. but if it was leaking oil and the gasket wasnt damaged then you need to swich where you get your oil changed. in one month i doubt even and improperly installed oil filter could work its way that loose. it isnt like they are put under a major ammount of stress.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

How the hell do you tighten an oil filter with a wrench?!!!

For a spark plug thats normaly right, till it stops, then 1/3-1/2 trun with a socket.

But most oil filters are made from very soft material, and useing a wrecnh, even one designed for grabbing oil filters will easily twist or distort it, and cause it to leak.
If its an older canister type filter, where the filter drops into a steel canister that if attached to the engine then you can tighten it with a wrench, but they don't need much.

I tighten all my oil filters by hand. Make sure both the new filter and your hands are clean, and free of oil.
Smear a little oil on the rubber seal, and small amount on the filter threads (go up and down, not round and round, or you will leave your finger in the filter).
Then I just wind it on till it stops, then go prehaps 1/4 turn by hand.

Most filters will actualy tighten with use and time, if one has come loose its probobly because it was never tightened in the first place.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Ridenour
GranddAmnit

Send a message via MSN to Ridenour

Get a craftsmen Strap-wrench. The thing works like a champ on everything
Old 02-18-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
peter i
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to peter i
Quote:
How the hell do you tighten an oil filter with a wrench?!!!
Yah!!! No way and dont do that /!!! ONLY HAND tighten is needed!!! (No oil in yours hand ,please ) clean and dry...OK !
peter i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Steel
AF Fanatic

Just to be on the safe side, when i'm at work I crank them on as hard as I can by hand. And in my experience, oil filters usually get freaking TIGHT over time, hence the need for filter wrenches to REMOVE the filter, not put them on.

I suspect that the guy changing your oil started spinning the filter on, went to take a dump, and forgot to tighten it. Or it may have been double gasketed and tightened by a pussy.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
duplox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to duplox

I wouldn't oil the gasket, from my experience that is the exact opposite of you want for a seal. I go out of my way to make every gasket surface as clean and dry as possible. Never had any gasket leak, so it must be working.
duplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

usually there is enough oil on the block that the gasket gets oiled that way, but you absolutely need to oil the gasket. Otherwise you can dislodge the gasket if it grips to the block when you turn it. They can also glaze to the block after 3000 miles and you'll be scraping rubber stuff off the block's mating surface.

The gasket seals because the pressure it exerts on the block, and in order to get that pressure, it needs to glide freely as it spins.

By the way, most oil filter manufacturers recommend FINGER tight, then 1/2 turn. Basically spin them on until the gasket contacts the block, then another 1/2. Not hand tight. Most of us just grab them with our hands and put them on hand tight which works fine.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
solaris=amazing
AF Enthusiast

Thanks alot guys..

Yeah, they probably left it loose...... Well, next month is gonna be like 45degrees and over...back to doing this myself.

Even in the winter, i'm gonna do this myself...if i can borrow a friends garage..lol..

Dead men naked, they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone
They shall have stars at elbow and foot
Though they go mad, they shall be sane
Though they sink through the sea
They shall rise again
Though lovers be lost love shall not
And death shall have no dominion.....
....Dylan Thomas....
solaris=amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
psychorallyfreak
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to psychorallyfreak Send a message via AIM to psychorallyfreak Send a message via MSN to psychorallyfreak Send a message via Yahoo to psychorallyfreak

Heh, I'd suspect that whoever did it was a retard...
And what I do, is definitely oil the seal...and spin it on (because it does, or is supposed to, spin freely) till it stops (spinning freely, as in I actually have to keep turning it by hand), then usually a half-turn extra. If I EVER hear of somebody using a wrench to tighten an oil filter, I will slap them, then make them do the next oil change.
psychorallyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #12
bjdm151
AF Regular

I had to make a trip one time and i didn't have time to change my own oil so i went to a valvoline. The next time i changed my oil, the damn filter was stuk tight on there. I tried the crafstman strap wrenches, those are crap, i tried a regular filter wrench, nope. to make a long story short, i ended up stabbing it with a screw driver. That took forever and in the process one of my friends got under it when i wasn't looking and ended up breaking of the oil pressure sensor. Ever since then i have changed my own and i can always get it off by hand.

BJ
bjdm151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #13
ghostguy6
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ghostguy6 Send a message via MSN to ghostguy6 Send a message via Yahoo to ghostguy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdm151
The next time i changed my oil, the damn filter was stuk tight on there. I tried the crafstman strap wrenches, those are crap, i tried a regular filter wrench, nope. to make a long story short, i ended up stabbing it with a screw driver. That took forever and in the process one of my friends got under it when i wasn't looking and ended up breaking of the oil pressure sensor. Ever since then i have changed my own and i can always get it off by hand.
When I worked at an oil change place we had one customer come in saying that he couldnt get the filter off and I ended up wripping the filter apart and using a chisle to cut part of the filter away from the block.

Want to be a mod? Join up at www.mypicgallery.com and PM me.
ghostguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #14
MIKE21STRONG
AF Newbie

All Ways Oil Your Gaskets Tighter Fit Ask Your Mom Lol
MIKE21STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical