Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
tomwalshco
AF Newbie

transmission ???

Wierd problem. '97 Sable Wagon. My transmission slips, only until warmed up. On summer days it is almost undetectable, but during the winter it takes a few miles or more to get smoothed out. Once it is warmed up, it runs like brand new. Never slips is 1st gear, only at shift points. Never heard of such a thing???? I've had trannies that slip, but they slip all the time. Any clues?? Thanks.
tomwalshco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
97CamaroSS
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 97CamaroSS
one thing. all ford and mercury transmissions are absolute shit! there is no way i would ever even use the metal in them for paperclips. ford and mercury trans's suck.
97CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:28 AM   #3
Hardrive
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Hardrive Send a message via AIM to Hardrive Send a message via MSN to Hardrive Send a message via Yahoo to Hardrive
97 Sabel.... Freshly junk...

Yeah I drive a 97' Mercury sable... About 142000 miles on it... Tranny is beginning to slip immensly between gears. Any idea on the cost of a new transmission on a car with that many miles... And if it would be better to just get a new car..?
Hardrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
nova355
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to nova355
Re: transmission ???

I have a 91 sable that has a bad rod knock and the tranny just finally slipped its way into a neutral ike state in every gear. the hashed clutch packs finally spun.Its only got 110k miles! what craftsmanship. are the transaxels cheap anywhere in particular.
nova355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
s wagon
AF Newbie

I have a 96 wagon, shakes real bad and the trany slips, I replaced the front axels but still shakes, sure it is the Trany so lucky to have the AXOD Ford trany like many others. I would like to re build myself couse the car has 170k miles isn't worth much. Just baby it my car goes 60miles a day for months on the verg of giving up.
s wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:48 AM   #6
Chrisl2003
AF Newbie

I have a '99 Sable GS with the AXOD, it works fine while cold but as soon as it hits operating temperature it doesn't seem to want to downshift. When I come to a complete stop the tranny remains in the last gear it was in, as soon as I start up again the engine bogs down and then the tranny slams into first gear. Any ideas what may be causing this? I just had the fluid and filter replaced and no change. Of course it did not start acting up until the factory warranty expired, and lucky me I am still paying for this hunk of crap for another 20 months. A new tranny is out of the question, simply can't afford it while making payments! Any help would be immensly appreciated!
Chrisl2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
C.H.Rome BoTy
AF Newbie

Question Re: transmission ???

Hey Y'all,
Ever get an answer for your issue? I'm New here and don't see any solutions posted.

I picked up a '95 GS long roof with 104k on the clock. Previous owner said the tranny started having issues right after he changed filter and fluid.

So, I opened it up and found a new filter and 8 quarts of clean ATF. Figuring the guy didn't lie to me, I gotta think he did sometning else to cause the problem...

Anybody had this happen to them?

LeMeNo,

Chrome
C.H.Rome BoTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

yes, overdue fluid changes (especially done using the "power flush" method) can often cause problems by sending bits of scrapnel through the valve body and clutches.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
C. Cleve
AF Regular

HI, If anyone is still paying attention to this thread, ALL of the above sound just like WAY overdue trans fluid changes, If not maybe the incorrect fluid was used, That is a very COMMON mistake.......See Ya! Clay,,
C. Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
C.H.Rome BoTy
AF Newbie

Hello again,
Thanks for the feed back...
There was no "power flush" utilized on the first service. Just dropped the pan and replaced the filter and fluid. I checked the fluid used and it was reported as Mercon, as the owner's manual recommends.

I replaced the filter and fluid a second time, using Mercon as recommended with the same results:
Warmed up or cold, shifts from park to reverse and drive produce a reaction in the transmission and a slight lurch forward and back, but the engine revs and there is no motion.

Sometimes, and it is very rare, the transmission responds to repeated shifts from forward to reverse and back again, over and over, then besides the "slight lurch", engauges and moves the car. This is at best temporary engaugement and then the car does not move again. It's more like weakness of fluid pressure rather than slipping of bands. I say this because when it does move the car it is a very "strong" feeling, no slippage. Just seems to have the pressure to act normally.
Perhaps there is a pump seal or something simular to check or replace?
Has anyone ever torn down one of these tranny's?

AAMCO tech told me there are 5 pumps internally rather than a torque converter... Is this the case? I cannot find any info on the Web regarding functionality.

Called local Ford dealer to hear that with 108K miles, this is a typical symptom after fluid changes due to the removal of "gritty" substances that have been helping the fluid work. This sounds like a bunch of whooie to me... the Ford tech said the thing will have to be replaced.

Perhaps I should throw some fine sand or pummas (volcanic soot) into it!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
C. Cleve
AF Regular

Hi, If you really wan't to solve the problem, without the smoke about the 5 pumps in the trans and the gritty fluid, Let me know I HAVE REBUILT 500 of these transmissions witout a mistake,,, The solution is SIMPLE...See Ya!..............Clay..
C. Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #12
homertwo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Cleve
Hi, If you really wan't to solve the problem, without the smoke about the 5 pumps in the trans and the gritty fluid, Let me know I HAVE REBUILT 500 of these transmissions witout a mistake,,, The solution is SIMPLE...See Ya!..............Clay..
OK, I'll bite. What's the soution?

Homer
homertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #13
C.H.Rome BoTy
AF Newbie

Bite... I'll Chew The Big One!

Clive, What's the secret?

Old 03-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #14
wizardb
AF Newbie

ya i will bite too, just replaced mine and the new one ( from junk yard ) lasted 1 day before started slipping and not shifting from first gear. now have to pull it again at least still under warranty but pulling it sucks.
wizardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
rogerlh
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardb
ya i will bite too, just replaced mine and the new one ( from junk yard ) lasted 1 day before started slipping and not shifting from first gear. now have to pull it again at least still under warranty but pulling it sucks.
Well, my 98 Sable Wagon 95,000miles cost me, I stopped at a light, went to pull off and ZIP NADA no tranny action (unless it was laughing quietly). Had it towed and they said pump shaft had broken. $2300 (N. Va prices) It worked fine for about 1,000 miles and then started slipping. Took it back and they rebuilt it on their nickel and seems to be working OK now. 6,000 miles and praying that it sees out at least 10,000 mile /1 year waranty plus hopefully another 50,000. Said the (new? ) pump had failed again. Claimed they replace all pumps seals bands etc when they rebuild and they seem to have a good reputation. Never did get a detailed spec on what is replaced. Perhaps I should have done??

I only paid 5300 so I figure I'm doing OK so far although with Tranny and one left Ball joint and Tie rod I have about $3000 in repairs so far.
I just like the car and it drives fine.
rogerlh is offline   Reply With Quote