Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Probe
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
pdallard
AF Newbie

94 Probe Thermostat Location/Issues

My 1994 Ford Probe 2dr 2cly (Base) is running hot. I was told to remove the thermostat & run the car & if it overheats it may be a blown head gasket. I think the thermostat is located on the right next to the air maniford, coming from the top radiator hose, is this right?

Thanks for any help!!!
pdallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 Probe Thermostat Location/Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdallard View Post
My 1994 Ford Probe 2dr 2cly (Base) is running hot. I was told to remove the thermostat & run the car & if it overheats it may be a blown head gasket. I think the thermostat is located on the right next to the air maniford, coming from the top radiator hose, is this right?

Thanks for any help!!!
This is from the repair manual on autozone.com (free just need to register)

Under hood, passenger side, upper engine area, engine end of upper radiator hose, mounted in coolant outlet housing

2.0L Engine

See Figures 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the engine coolant from the radiator to below the level of the thermostat.

Fig. Fig. 3: To remove the thermostat, first drain the cooling system, then remove the radiator hose-to-thermostat housing cover clamp ...

Fig. Fig. 4: ... by sliding back on the hose. Note the alignment marks on the hose and housing cover (arrows)

Fig. Fig. 5: Disconnect the hose from the thermostat housing cover

Fig. Fig. 6: Loosen the thermostat housing cover attaching bolts ...

Fig. Fig. 7: ... then remove them ...

Fig. Fig. 8: ... along with the housing cover/water outlet

Fig. Fig. 9: Remove the thermostat from the housing by simply pulling it outward

Fig. Fig. 10: When installing the new thermostat, note the tab (arrow) which seats into a notch in the housing. Jiggle pin must face straight up
  1. Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the engine.
  2. Remove the housing bolts, thermostat housing, thermostat and gasket.
Do not pry the housing off.
To install:
  1. Clean the thermostat housing and the cylinder head mating surfaces.
  2. Make sure that the thermostat jiggle pin is aligned with the gasket projection.
  3. Install the thermostat to the housing. Align the gasket projection with the opening in the housing. The spring side of the thermostat should face into the housing.
  4. Install the thermostat housing cover and tighten both bolts to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
  5. Fill the cooling system. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks. Check the coolant level and add coolant, as necessary.
  1. Take the old thermostat out and test by putting into boiling water, if bad it will not open. I would install new one after testing it also so you do not need to drain the coolant system again.
  1. A compression test could also tell you if the head gasket is blown.
  1. Are you needing to add coolant regularly? Do you see any bubbles in the coolant resorvoir while engine is running??
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
pdallard
AF Newbie

You are the best! Thank you so such for this vital info. I do have a crack in my coolant resorvoir- It sits in front of my left tire & will probably have to remove my tire to get at it to replace. This isn't a major issue at the time is it? I can top the radiator off if necessary I was told.

Thank you again for your help!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdallard View Post
You are the best! Thank you so such for this vital info. I do have a crack in my coolant resorvoir- It sits in front of my left tire & will probably have to remove my tire to get at it to replace. This isn't a major issue at the time is it? I can top the radiator off if necessary I was told.

Thank you again for your help!!!
The problemm with a cracked resorvoir is that when the engine warms up some coolant will go into resorvoir, if resorvoir leaks you are losing fluid that should go back into the coolant system when it cools off, thus keeping air out of the coolant system along with proper amount of coolant to prevent overheating. I suggest getting resorvoir relaced ASAP. Get all of the air out of system and see what happens.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
pdallard
AF Newbie

Will do!!! Thanks again....