Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:41 AM   #1
'00' GTP
AF Enthusiast

04 MAX, or 04 Accord

I'm looking at buying an 04 Max 3.5 6 speed or a V6 accord 6 speed for my wife for her birthday. I was wondering which one you all think that I should buy....

I am posting this same thing in the Accord forum also, because I know that you all will want me to get the max, but I want to know real problems and real good things that people have to say about both.
14.5 stock

2003 Red Accord Coupe
V6 6-speed
car-stats.com saies it runs 14.7
'00' GTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
lordrashmi
AF Enthusiast

MAX!!!!!

Ok, now that I gave my answer, let me qualify it by this. The Max is clearly a more powerful car (265 HP vs. 240 HP). It also is larger and more luxury oriented then the Accord. Normally the comparison is made between the Accord and the Altima, not the Maxima. Bottom line though is unless your wife (or you) really need that extra 25 HP, just drive both and see which seems right to you. What is right for me might not be right for you. They both are very nice cars and reliable and well put together. If you are planning on getting Nav in the new car, I hear that Nissan has a better Nav then Honda, but I haven't used Honda's.

BTW, if you get the Max, it will give your GTP a run for its money... :-)
lordrashmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #3
'00' GTP
AF Enthusiast

I have driven both, and I like both of them as well as the other. They both run about the same 1/4 mile time sure 25 extra horse, but more weight also..... I don't know which one to choose.

I should be running a 14.3 or there abouts with the mods. I would beat the MAX in the end, but it would be a good race.
14.5 stock

2003 Red Accord Coupe
V6 6-speed
Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #4
thrasher
AF Enthusiast

Accord all the way...and i have a Max, so you know i'm not biased. The 6 speed Accord coupe is Awesome, and every bit as fast as the 2k4 Max. better interior, better build quality, better reliability, better customer service, better handling, pretty good sounding exhaust system, oh and better resale value. get the honda...DOO IIT

"Don't have sex man. It leads to kissing and pretty soon you have to start talking to them."
Steve Martin.
thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

Re: 04 MAX, or 04 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher
Accord all the way...and i have a Max, so you know i'm not biased. The 6 speed Accord coupe is Awesome, and every bit as fast as the 2k4 Max. better interior, better build quality, better reliability, better customer service, better handling, pretty good sounding exhaust system, oh and better resale value. get the honda...DOO IIT
i have an 02 maxima and if it were 02/03 3.5 max vs 02-04 accord i'd say get the maxima. but 04 vs 04 i agree with thrasher. get the accord.
Paonessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:27 PM   #6
joeB
AF Enthusiast

You sound really biased, get a 02 - 04 accord over a 04 Maxima.
03 is when the new accord came out. But get a 02 or 03 Maxima
over the 03 - 04 Accord? I know you like your car, but give the
04 Maxima some credit, its a very nice car. Honda isnt any better
than Nissan with the build quality. Have you read the complaints
about the new TSX? Resale? honda dosent have better resale,
they are both the same on resale value.
joeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:51 PM   #7
thrasher
AF Enthusiast

the new maxima is built in the US...which automatically makes quality drop. if you think that nissan makes as reliable of vehicles as Honda does, then you need to take a step back and actually look at quality ratings. higher quality = better resale value.

as far as an 02/03 Max vs. 03 Accord, it is very close...i was actually looking at trading in my max for a 6 sp Accord, but then realized that it just doesn't have the torque and good looks of my Max

i think the new Maxima is junk...i have driven one, and i just hated it. exterior, interior, and performance all went down from previous years. why get a max when you can a G 6 speed for just about the same price

"Don't have sex man. It leads to kissing and pretty soon you have to start talking to them."
Steve Martin.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher
the new maxima is built in the US...which automatically makes quality drop. if you think that nissan makes as reliable of vehicles as Honda does, then you need to take a step back and actually look at quality ratings. higher quality = better resale value.

as far as an 02/03 Max vs. 03 Accord, it is very close...i was actually looking at trading in my max for a 6 sp Accord, but then realized that it just doesn't have the torque and good looks of my Max

i think the new Maxima is junk...i have driven one, and i just hated it. exterior, interior, and performance all went down from previous years. why get a max when you can a G 6 speed for just about the same price
I can definetly agree with Thrasher on getting the G instead of the Accord or Max. The G is RWD and it is a Luxury Nameplate plus you get the highest quality service from any Infiniti Dealership for service or whatever.

Besides G's are pretty much exclusive, you don't see too many on the road and when you do they sorta stand out in Sedan or especially the Coupe, <which in my opinion is one of the best looking cars on the road today.

The G only has a few options and the Nav system is to die for, I'd say G all the way even though it wasn't one of the choices you were considering.

I wouldn't pick the Accord or the Max in this case because the G is better looking RWD about the same price as either one of them fully loaded, it is a luxury badge, not everyone has one and it handles like a BMW, plus there is a 6 speed or 5 speed sportshift auto.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
joeB
AF Enthusiast

No, I dont think Nissan makes more reliable cars than honda,
I think they are about the same. Maximas being made in the U S
dont make quality drop.

I dont think the accord is better than the Maxima, or accord
better than the Maxima. I think both are nice cars. Here next
to the Nissan dealer and honda dealer, accords, Maximas and
Altimas are usually priced about the same for used.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:41 AM   #10
VQmax95
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to VQmax95
Well, I don't like Hondas so Im going to say get the max. If it were me, I'd get an 03 6 speed or a 350Z. The G35 is nice, but I just like the Z better.
Kevin.
VQmax95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:03 AM   #11
'00' GTP
AF Enthusiast

We bought the Accord last night, but This is a car for my wife. she didn't want a RWD car. if she did, I would have waited and got the GTO in Nov. if you haven't driven an accord hard for a while.... it is a fun car. I am happy with my decision....... it is red, and fast... I think that it would give my GTP a run for it's money....... I am going to take both cars to the track on Tue. I will update you all then
14.5 stock

2003 Red Accord Coupe
V6 6-speed
Old 09-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
thrasher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by '00' GTP
We bought the Accord last night, but This is a car for my wife. she didn't want a RWD car. if she did, I would have waited and got the GTO in Nov. if you haven't driven an accord hard for a while.... it is a fun car. I am happy with my decision....... it is red, and fast... I think that it would give my GTP a run for it's money....... I am going to take both cars to the track on Tue. I will update you all then
got any pics?

Steve Martin.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:52 AM   #13
'00' GTP
AF Enthusiast

I will take them tonight. it was dark last night. I will post them tomorrow......

of both cars
14.5 stock

2003 Red Accord Coupe
V6 6-speed
Old 09-11-2003, 12:04 PM   #14
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeB
You sound really biased, get a 02 - 04 accord over a 04 Maxima.
03 is when the new accord came out. But get a 02 or 03 Maxima
over the 03 - 04 Accord? I know you like your car, but give the
04 Maxima some credit, its a very nice car. Honda isnt any better
than Nissan with the build quality. Have you read the complaints
about the new TSX? Resale? honda dosent have better resale,
they are both the same on resale value.
how's that biased. i told him to get a honda and i drive a maxima.i think looks and quality is the honda's strong points over the 04 max. it's his wifeys car so he ain't gonna mod and it's fugly stock. and according to the new"automobile" magazine in which they tested 12 cars in the 30K price range the 04 max came in dead last. lower than bimmer 328, lower than mazda 6, audi 1.8t even the damn tsx. it's not as good of a car as the maxima's of old and the fact that it's made in america, believe it or not, does affect the quality. the interior of the accord is 10x better and it's faster and handles like a honda, which is damn good. the 04 is a very nice car but it could have and should have been much better.
if you don't like my opinion, too damn bad, don't read it.
Paonessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #15
joeB
AF Enthusiast

Being made in America dont affect how the car is made.
honda isnt better either, go to the TSX forums and read
the problems with the interiors of them, rattles , speakers
rattling, engine pecks, is that fine quality from Honda?
I dont care what you say, It was just funny how you
said that your Maxima was much better than the 04.