Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
daronlayne
AF Newbie

4l60e no 2nd gear

Transmission is a 4l60e. It shifts from 1st to 3rd after you get up to about 20-25 mph and let off the gas slightly. All other gears are fine. I have 1st, 3rd, 4th and reverse. I changed the fluid and filter, but no change. Fluid was not burnt smelling. Could it be valve body?
daronlayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 4l60e no 2nd gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daronlayne View Post
Transmission is a 4l60e. It shifts from 1st to 3rd after you get up to about 20-25 mph and let off the gas slightly. All other gears are fine. I have 1st, 3rd, 4th and reverse. I changed the fluid and filter, but no change. Fluid was not burnt smelling. Could it be valve body?
this may be the 1-2 shift solenoid valve stuck or defective/connections...

this coil of the 1-2 solenoid should read 19-24 ohms..this would be at the transmission electrical connector terminal A to E...

having the drive train codes pulled would narrow this down ...with the dtc it takes the mystery out of it ...most likely a minor repair..
need OEM specific drive train code reader...

the 1-2 shift solenoid is at the rear of the tranny pan ...some have dislodged the connections to the solenoids back there...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
daronlayne
AF Newbie

I took the valve body off and cleaned it thoroughly. Put it back together and no change. When I try to shift manually, second just revs the motor and no go. I think it may be time to rebuild this puppy. It has 152k miles on it.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I took the valve body off and cleaned it thoroughly. Put it back together and no change. When I try to shift manually, second just revs the motor and no go. I think it may be time to rebuild this puppy. It has 152k miles on it.
measure the resistance if good do the valve test with air pressure and power to the solenoid valve to see if its not sticking..
Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
transman618
AF Newbie

I would pop the band servo off the side of the trans and check it next. Usually the "A" and "B" solenoids will give you a code when they are bad. What year is the trans??

transman

transman618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
daronlayne
AF Newbie

1997 chevy k1500. About a week ago, it started to slip a little when climbing a hill like sliding into gear and not a good firm shift. Now, just no second gear after fluid and filter change last weekend. Doesn't the 2-4 band cover 2nd and 4th gear?

Last edited by daronlayne; 01-19-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
2000CAYukon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
1997 chevy k1500. About a week ago, it started to slip a little when climbing a hill like sliding into gear and not a good firm shift. Now, just no second gear after fluid and filter change last weekend. Doesn't the 2-4 band cover 2nd and 4th gear?
The Band is applied in both 2nd and 4th gear. Are you saying that you do not have 2nd but you have 4th gear?

//2000CAYukon
2000CAYukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
transman618
AF Newbie

Quote:
Yes, it does but the 2-4 servo uses 2 apply passages. 4th oil uses one passage while 2nd oil uses the other. You CAN have a leaking 2nd apply piston in the servo assy and the 4th apply piston be fine resulting in a failed 2nd but a good functioning 4th. If it is indeed the servo causing the problem, I, personally would pull the servo and inspect the "O" ring on the servo piston housing and the sealing ring on the 2nd apply piston. That is where the problem would be if you have no 2nd gear. If it is the servo leaking you can buy a seal kit to rebuild it or just buy a corvette servo and replace the entire servo assy.

transman

Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake

What are the benefits of a corvette servo?

I have sort of a following question for the 4l60e trans experts in this thread. In my pickup, it shifts fine through all the gears, but at some points the shift from 2-3 seems harsher than the others and you can sometimes hear a clunk. Is this normal? Funny thing is when climbing hills or when I'm accellerating hard, the 2-3 shift is as smooth as the others. It makes absolutly no sence to me. The only thing I can think of is maybe an accumulator spring is broke causing a harsh enguagement. It only shifts harsher when I am cruising with light accelleration. Does it sound like someone installed a corvette servo? I just bought it with 100,000 miles and now it has 110,000. Has done it ever since I bought it.

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #10
daronlayne
AF Newbie

Ok, now it is starting to slip a little at highway speed in 4th. I have ordered the master rebuild kit and am hoping to dig into this thing this weekend. Hopefully after this, I can get another 150,000 miles out of it. The rebuild kit has new frictions, steels and pistons. I also ordered the beast sunshell.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, now it is starting to slip a little at highway speed in 4th. I have ordered the master rebuild kit and am hoping to dig into this thing this weekend. Hopefully after this, I can get another 150,000 miles out of it. The rebuild kit has new frictions, steels and pistons. I also ordered the beast sunshell.
when you put this together flush all the lines/radiator trans cooler..
since there is 150,ooomi on it a new torque converter would be best...

use only the new dexron VI. NO dexron III !
Old 01-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake View Post

I have sort of a following question for the 4l60e trans experts in this thread. In my pickup, it shifts fine through all the gears, but at some points the shift from 2-3 seems harsher than the others and you can sometimes hear a clunk. Is this normal? Funny thing is when climbing hills or when I'm accellerating hard, the 2-3 shift is as smooth as the others. It makes absolutly no sence to me. The only thing I can think of is maybe an accumulator spring is broke causing a harsh enguagement. It only shifts harsher when I am cruising with light accelleration. Does it sound like someone installed a corvette servo? I just bought it with 100,000 miles and now it has 110,000. Has done it ever since I bought it.
when my 2000 silverado was new it was doing that...I thought the tranny was defective...My co-worker an aviation engineer, said to use synthetic fluid....after a few hundred miles issue gone....
Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
transman618
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake View Post

With your truck and the harsh 2-3, I would first check for codes which would cause a full line command from the computer. If its not a full line condition I would check the 2-3 accumulator. What generally happens here is the steel piston pin wears the pin bore in the aluminum piston, the pin bore becomes egg shaped and will leak at the bore. Since the job of the accumulator is to cushion the shift, any leakage here will cause harsh shifting. As far as someone installing the corvette servo, you would see firmer 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. The 2-3 shift might be a little more crisp from the corvette servo releasing.

transman

Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
transman618
AF Newbie

Quote:
That slipping in 4th tells me what I originally thought. The servo. A couple of tips here with your overhaul. First, since you are having servo issues, I would personally install a corvette servo for more firm 1-2 and 3-4 second, clean out the servo bore using a GREEN scotch brite pad to scuff up the bore surface where the sealing rings contact then spray out completely with brake clean. Next, to make things easier. When you rebuild the input drum, remove the metal pistons for the input, overrun, and 3-4 clutches and install molded rubber pistons. This will allow you to rebuild the input drum without having to buy lip seal protectors to install the metal pistons. Third, since you were having servo issues and a slipping 2/4 band, inspect the reverse input drum carefully. The reverse input drum is the first thing you see as soon as you remove the pump. If the outside is glazed real bad from the band slipping then replace the drum. Check the bushings on the new drum very carefully for sharp edges. Sharp edges will cut the sealing rings on the pump causing leakage in the reverse circuit then you will have to take the trans out again.
ALWAYS replace the torque converter during an overhaul.

transman

Old 01-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #15
daronlayne
AF Newbie

Well I have the tranny out, torn down and cleaned. What I have found is that the 2-4 band is completely worn out, the input drum is worn and forward clutch piston is cracked. I will post an update in a couple of days. I have to get more parts.

Last edited by daronlayne; 01-24-2010 at 07:01 AM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K