Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
View Poll Results: Is a SUV or Van a truck?
Yes 11 57.89%
No 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #46
Earlsfat
Cheesesteakoholic

Re: Is a SUV or Van a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genopsyde
the poll results speak for themselves.

LMAO! A poll of 13 people, most of whom drive / own a car (more likely to consider anything taller than a camaro a truck) on whether an SUV is more like a car or a truck is not something I would consider as unbiased.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Earlsfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #47
FormulaLT1
Fight the powwa!!!

Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsfat
I gonna get it now ...

1. The majority was wrong when they thought the world was flat.
2. How could you call an SUV a Truck before SUV's were invented?
3. When it was invented, just because it had the wrong name doesn't mean it should be left that way.
4. As in my last post, or one of them anyway, a Sportage, Santa Fe, Raider, Escape, etc hardly qualify as a truck, let alone as a sport utility vehicle. (Yeah... I'm just busting Geno's balls, the S-10 / S-15 was the same platform as the Blazer, Jimmy & Bravada. BUT! The new ones (Envoy, Trailblazer, etc) are getting farther & farther from be able to be considered a truck.)

Ima shut up now, because it seems as though certain persons are gettin mad.
1. We are talking about interpation of a vehicle type (which is based on majority's view) not a matter of fact.

2. Please don't start trying to be a wise ass, you know exactly what I meant as can be seen by your question 3 which means you know exactly what I meant.

3. The name it was given was based under the standard base vehicle type it was, the SUV title was given as another divider to split it from the main frame of the typical truck.

4.You can't pick and choice what type of vehicle it is based on the name on it. If you pull a corvette emblem off a corvette and stick a Cavalier emblem on it, it does not stop being a corvette.
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.

Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
FormulaLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:33 AM   #48
Earlsfat
Cheesesteakoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaLT1
the SUV title was given as another divider to split it from the main frame of the typical truck.
ummmm.... thanks you made my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaLT1
4.You can't pick and choice what type of vehicle it is based on the name on it. If you pull a corvette emblem off a corvette and stick a Cavalier emblem on it, it does not stop being a corvette.
Those were just examples. I'm just saying that the "definition" that a SUV is a performance off-road vehicle would preclude MOST of the SUV's from being an SUV. (if that made any sense, lol.)

You guys can call your SUV's what you want... anyone who drives a C/K1500, F150, RAM 1500, or one of their variants, etc is just gonna shake their heads (or laugh) when you call your [insert model name... RAV4, Envoy, RX400, etc] a truck.

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Old 12-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #49
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

so....

SUV With actual trucks frame/steer/susp. = worthy

SUV with "other" frame/steer/susp. = not worthy

A bravada has a truck frame. Same as blazers. you can get lift kits for them and run on 33's. They are light too even the ones with a 2.8 v-6 will do some mudding. But nothing compares to a 70's cj5 jeep when it comes to real four wheeling. What about jeeps anyways? truck? SUV?

What did they call it back in WWII? They didnt say "lets hop in the SUV and go kick some ass over and out!"
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #50
Earlsfat
Cheesesteakoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_chevyz
so....

SUV With actual trucks frame/steer/susp. = worthy

SUV with "other" frame/steer/susp. = not worthy
z'actly... imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_chevyz
A bravada has a truck frame. Same as blazers. you can get lift kits for them and run on 33's. They are light too even the ones with a 2.8 v-6 will do some mudding. But nothing compares to a 70's cj5 jeep when it comes to real four wheeling. What about jeeps anyways? truck? SUV?

What did they call it back in WWII? They didnt say "lets hop in the SUV and go kick some ass over and out!"
I had an 86 blazer that went up just about every hill in Cumberland and Potter Counties in PA, great damned vehicle, even with the 2.8 and the catalytic conversion conversion (hollowed out). Never rolled it, but came awfully damned close a couple times. If the electrical system and brakes hadn't both failed at 300,000 miles and cost so much to fix I'd probably STILL have it. I think the only (semi) major repair was a blown heater core once, and a frozen caliper around 150,000 miles.

Jeep = Jeep.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #51
Rally Sport
Is eating.

Send a message via AIM to Rally Sport Send a message via MSN to Rally Sport

They called Jeeps, Willy's Jeep in WWII, also Ford made Jeeps back in WWII but they called em model names like GP and crap.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #52
SLPbirdy00
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SLPbirdy00 Send a message via MSN to SLPbirdy00

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda_dude
a truck is a truck, a car is a car, a van is a van and an suv is an suv.... what is so hard about that concept
Not excatly...Take the new Honda truck "Ridgeline"...Its a rebadged "Accord" based minivan.

Current Mods
Hypertech Powerstat 160F
Flowmaster 80 Series
Pacesetter Headers
SLP Induction Package
MAF Screen Removed
Custom Intake Baffle
Shaved/Smoothed AirLid
Catless

SLPbirdy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #53
Earlsfat
Cheesesteakoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLPbirdy00
Not excatly...Take the new Honda truck "Ridgeline"...Its a rebadged "Accord" based minivan.
No shit??? I was under the impression that the ridgeline was new from the ground up, and all truck.

Sneaky bastards.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #54
iroczman
AF Regular

I belive that if a suv is based on a chassis then it could be considered a truck and if not then it is a form of van/or wagon that only is drove by chicks and in the word of earlsfat SERIOUS, limp-wristed fag. and the el camino is a cruck. half car half truck= cruck

99 grand prix silver 3.8 loaded (daily driver with 190,500 miles and going like a top!)

POOR COLLEGE STUDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
iroczman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #55
Laced
AF Newbie

Question Re: Is a SUV or Van a truck?

Necropost after a decade, I know. But guys, you gotta understand, there is someone I found here on the Internet, who is *wrong*! See why I had to do it?

Earl: that everyone used to believe the world was flat is not true. It's a misconception that was popularized most during the 1800's when authors wrote about how Columbus was told by everyone that his ships would fall off the edge of the world! But alas, it is apocryphal.

As far back as Ancient Greece, which borders on the oldest written records we can find, it was well understood that the earth was a sphere. People noticed that below a certain line south, there was a time of day when the sun would be exactly overhead. For example, the deep bottom of a well would be illuminated. However for anywhere north of this line (which we now know is the Tropic of Capricorn... Or cancer? mea culpa) there wasn't. Above that line, there's come a time of day your shadow would get verrry short... but never all the way. The sun would never be exactly overhead above that latitude.

Eratosthenes tried to use geometry to estimate the earths circumference around 200 bc, and the number he calculated was within ~15% of the true value we now have satellite-precision measurements for--not too bad for someone living 2000+ years ago!

At any time throughout the last 2000 years, there almost certainly had to be pockets of ignorance where certain groups thought the earth was flat--that's true even today (look up the Flat Earth Society, there forums are a hoot). However the majority of humanity, that is the general knowledge base of humanity, has known the earth was round as far back as we have preserved documentation to account for.

Last edited by Laced; 11-15-2016 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Sound better, added FES plug
Laced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #56
haroon.gits
AF Newbie

An SUV is a truck if it is based on a truck chassis or its own original chassis. Full size SUV’s are built on massive truck chassis and are considered trucks.
haroon.gits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #57
Nicolasa Haskett
AF Newbie

SUV is sports utility vehicle. It is under a truck category perhaps because it is built on a light truck chassis
Nicolasa Haskett is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic