Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
jmaclane
AF Newbie

Yamaha YZR-M1 2004 1/12 Tamiya

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here in the forum.

My name is Hugo, and I'm from Portugal. I started modeling just two or three ago so don't expect to see great modeling skills, but I hope to be able to improve as the time goes by. I'll be taking as much advice from you guys as I can, so please comment at will.
Although this is a bike I started by making 1/24th cars, but the ones I already built are not that good so maybe I'll show them someday... maybe not. But I'll be doing a car next.

As for this project I started about 9 months ago. It's the Yamaha YZR-M1 2004, from Tamiya. In addition to the kit itself I also used some aftermarket parts and even tried to make some small parts out of milliput.

Now, enough writing. This is what I began with:

And then the shock-absorver reservoir

Then I looked at the exhaust manifold and thought "there's something missing...", so I used a small piece of styrene and cut and molded those small pieces (I don't know the name of them in english).

And now some mixed parts already painted

Detailed picture of the finished shock-absorver, only missing the decal

And some parts that I tryed to paint in order to simulate carbon fibre

Sorry for these two final pics, I've forgot to resize then.

Comments are welcome. Sorry for the bad english.
jmaclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
jmaclane
AF Newbie

Yamaha YZR-M1 2004 1/12 Tamiya

There is one thing missing from my "photo-report", that is the painting of the parts, but I can say that I used Tamiya TS51, generic black for the frame, and and brushed the smaller parts with Tamiya acrylics.

The clutch was detailed by drilling it, and placing some pieces of tubing in there.

Now the front brake calipers parts.

And now for the engine. I added some parts to it that I molded in putty, and also some more details.

Some more small parts I made. First with a small piece of styrene and a small piece of sprue I would begin the brake adjuster for the left handle. And after that some other parts that go in the back of the bike.

The clutch linkage was replaced by a metal aftermarket piece (sorry for the blurry picture).

Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
jmaclane
AF Newbie

Re: Yamaha YZR-M1 2004 1/12 Tamiya

Here are some more pictures.

And here is the Hobby Design chain. I think I won't be doing another one of these so soon.

Until next time.

Last edited by jmaclane; 01-16-2017 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
jmaclane
AF Newbie

Here is another batch of pictures from this build.

And that's it, it's finished. The nest pictures will be in the Completed Projects.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
John18d
AF Enthusiast

jmclane - really good job so far for someone new to the forum.

Not sure how many Bikes you have built before, but good wok on the exhaust headpipes

Did you airbrush the exhaust pipes? heat staining?

too bad you are using the Tamiya supplied "black" tubing for the brakes and clutch lines - they are too large for the correct scale - try using more scale appropriate tubing from T2M or Top Studio etc.

Otherwise looks good.

How much trouble did you have with the HD chain?? I tried building one but it keeps falling apart.

Cheers
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
jmaclane
AF Newbie

Hi John,

Thanks for your kind words.

I've only built one bike previously, a Yamaha R1. I liked the building part, but it didn't get any other details, neither aftermarket nor handmade. In the end the clearcoat got wierd, and I gave up (I need new decals to strip and repaint).

For the exhaust I painted with Alclad Chrome, masked some thin strips, and then I gave it a very light coat of Smoke. Then, with the masks still in place, I used the Tamiya pigments set for a bit of yellow and blue (that thing that looks like women make-up).

The tubing... I have smaller tubing (0,9mm) but I made a mistake - I should have prepared theparts before assembling them, and in the end I wasn't able to fit the smaller tubing in the right places. With everything glued I would make it worse if I tried do cut the plastic pins, drill holes and put a new, thinner, metal pin. So, instead of ruining everything I just used the Tamiya tubing. It was a lesson for my next bike build.

The chain... it may not be too noticeble, but it took a lot of CA glue and patience. And even with that when I was putting it in place it lost a couple of links - I took it out and it lost a few more - glued again, put in place, lost a few other links again. So I just left it in place, even with a few links missing. Wont do another one so soon.

Best regards,
Hugo

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2004 , hsmodels , tamiya , yamaha , yzr-m1
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes