Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod Post topics for any "Works In Progress" Muscle Car-Hot Rod vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #31
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex
Re: Pro Touring Camaro of a different ......size?

the bad thing about pictures is that it points out all of the flaws you missed. lol

I'd rather be hated for Who I Am than be loved for Who I Am Not
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #32
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Well, I started re-working the head. There was too much super glue used to fill in the gaps. So, I took what I learned from the first peice and started applying it to the new peice. It will be more accurate from all angles. Also I started drawing the wheels. I picked up the most recent PHR with the 'cuda in it. I really like the wheels that are on in it. So that is what I scaled down to 1:12th scale. I am open to suggestions on wheels though. If you think these will or wont look good, chime in and say so. Oh for the color I am leaning toward sunset orange metallic, however, that is not set in stone yet. On to the pictures.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #33
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Alright. A little update for you guys. I showed the picture of the wheel. I sketched it out in versions from 17" to 19" I'm leaning toward a 19"x11" out back and an 18"x8.5" up front. In the sketch, the drawings are completely to scale. Not sure how they came out in the scan. I also scanned in the "disc" that is the wheel right now. You can see how I went about laying out the design. Enjoy. (I'm off to take some pictures for the Artwork page on lateral-g.net . Its also a great day to paint here in TX.)

sorry about the scrolling from side to side. I hate when I have to do that. But unfortunately it is necessary to get the scan to show full size. Comments please?

Old 03-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #34
quadzero
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to quadzero

looking forward to see what you come up with. really interesting to see stuff on paper turned into real parts. i will be paying attention to those rims. keep up the good work.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #35
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

I realized when I made the master for the first part of the molding process that I used my thin styrene.

Here is the process that I am using. I drew it out on a disc as you see above. I then cut the hole out of one of the 5 pie shapes. Then I cut out that one piece. I made a mold of that peice and cast 5 copies that gives me 5 identical sections to complete the wheel. I then assemble the 5 peices and make a new mold and cast the wheel as a whole. There are some intermediate steps. There are some raised sections. Mainly running down the center of each spoke. I opted to include those peices before final assembly. It will be easier to modify each side of the wedges to accept the aluminum tubing I will use for the raised sections, than to try and cut out the slots in the styrene and attach the tubing.

Back to using the thin styrene. Well, this is going to be a big model, which will have a good bit of weight. I also want it to look as REAL as possible. Well lets face it .030 styrene, or resin casts will not have the support needed or the scale realism on this thing. So I will have to cast 15-20 of these wedges to complete the wheel. But it happens. I have attempted this method before (using 5 peices lol) and the master was a little off but it was in 1:24/1:25 scale. I have 3 of the 5 wedges so far. I compared them to the disc that I sketched and they appear to be spot on.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get all of the wedges cast over the next couple of days. Expect to see a lot of progress show up on this thing in the coming weeks, as I am approaching spring break. I also plan on picking up some more RTV.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #36
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

finally managed to get 5 peices of the wheel cast. And, as bad as it is to say this, much to my surprise, its perfect! I'll get some pictures up possibly this morning, if not as soon as possible.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #37
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Here ya go! I laid it out on a piece of masking tape so that the sections would hold together while I checked fit. One of the sections has not been cleaned up yet, as there is still a film of resin in the opening. Enjoy.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #38
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

well, I had the wheel doubled and assembled. I also got the raised portions attached. I was getting ready to take some pictures, when I realized that Some of the pieces were in upside down. Didn't change the geometry of the wheel. But it did change the proportions in certain areas. Hopefully I can get a good picture up tonight. I dipped the wheel in some water and its in the freezer right now. Hoping that breaks the bonds

Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #39
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Alright. Finally a little eye candy for you guys in the way of wheels. I was not able to disassemble the old wheel. So it ended up in the garbage. I do however, now have a completely assembled wheel. It needs a little clean up and some tweaking along with a little more thickening before it is ready to be cast. I've got an Atomic Physics test on Friday, so I wont have a finished product until this weekend or early next week. I am calling alumilite today to get an RTV kit. Hopefully It will be here by the time that I am ready to mold the wheel. It will also give me some motivation to get the head completed, as I am going to cast it as well so that I don't have to try and duplicate the design. On to the pictures. Let me know what you think!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #40
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Anyone following this thing? If so I've got some more progress to share. It will be slow for the rest of the week. I have an atomic test on friday, and a discrete test tomorrow.

Here is what I've finished. I sectioned and reshaped the bumper a bit. I don't like to have the bumper wrap around the car. So I sectioned it and re-shaped the back side a little to allow it to mount in a slightly different location. The drip rails have also been removed for a bit cleaner look. I am still on the fence with the door handles and locks. Not sure If I want to shave them or not. I got my RTV silicone ordered today as well. There are two big steps that are coming up. I've got to create some outer rings for the wheels. I think that I have it figured out, we will see how that works out next week. The suspension is also going to be a BIG challenge (if anyone has some in progress pics of a 3 or 4 link rear suspension on a first gen camaro, also front suspension feel free to share!). Finally I need to make some more progress on the engine. Having the RTV should motivate me enough to get back to work on the heads. Enough rambling, and on to the pictures.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #41
drnitrus
AF Regular

Nice work. I like the scratch work on the engine. Keep it up.
drnitrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #42
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

It has slowed significantly. I am really happy with the progress thus far though. I am working closely with some people on lateral-g.net getting reference pictures and what not. I want this thing to be as accurate as possible.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #43
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

A little update for anyone still following this build. I got the holes drilled for the lug bolts. The wheel will be 3 parts. The outer ring, the wheel center, and then the hub mount. They holes for the lug bolts are overdrilled. The holes that will be drilled in the hub mount will be smaller for the actual lug bolts. My RTV showed up yesterday so once I get the wheel cleaned up it will be cast, along with the sectioned rear bumper. Anyone interested in the bumper let me know and we might be able to work something out.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #44
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

alas, the wheels are finally finished. well the centers anyway. I got the mold done finally and have some successful casts. They will require some clean up but overall I am happy with them. I also think that I have found a solution for the sleeves. After all is said and done, they will scale out to 20" wheels. A bit larger than I had hoped for. I didn't realize it until it was too late. More often than not on these cars, a size bigger usually looks just right. On to the pictures

Old 03-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #45
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

anyone interested in a set of these wheels, shoot me a pm. Right now the sleeves are not included.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod