Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 04:01 PM   #1
jeter1955
AF Regular

Angry 1995 automatic transmission slips when downshifting

I have a 95 pontiac grand am GT and when in park or neutral when you rev it it makes a popping noise and then when stoping to downshift from 2nd to first it makes a big cluncking noise. Sometimes it wont even downshift and it will be in neutral the noise will start quiet then get really fierce. its like im almost jumping. My mechanic said the cluncking noise in park was because of a belt inside of the transmission slipping and the reason why it doesnt do it in drive is because there is tension on it. I would really like to know if these 2 things have anything in common.

also do you have any idea what speed that transmission is? model number?
jeter1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
7ds-Hurricane
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 7ds-Hurricane Send a message via Yahoo to 7ds-Hurricane
Re: 1995 automatic transmission slips when downshifting

95 Grand Am 3.1L
This isn't MY car, but, this goes for either up/down shifting. I'm thinking it's the transmission but the owner keeps trying to say it's something along the line of the spark plug/wires possible arching, etc. Anyway, it happens every time it shifts and only happens in the first 2 gears reguardless of how fast you're going. Doesn't do it in reverse, however. If you punch it, doesn't grind quite as bad. It's always grinding before it completely gets in gear, doesn't hesitate. I mean, that IS the transmission, isn't it? Any possible cures beside replacing transmission?
7ds-Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:22 AM   #3
ra11585643
AF Enthusiast

Pull the transmission dip stick and smell it. Does it smell like burnt fluid? Have you been preforming regular maintenance on the tranny,(fluid and filter changes), most people dont. You could try fluid and fiter first, it may be a cheap fix. If that dont work sounds like tranny shop for atleast an adjustment if not a replacement. Ill keep my fingers crossed for ya.
ra11585643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:27 AM   #4
ra11585643
AF Enthusiast

?????
ra11585643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
jeter1955
AF Regular

Angry looks like a new tranny

I had a mechanic check out the problem and the said the tranny needs replacement. im gonna install it myself anyone have any tips on removal/installation. thanks for your help. also how do i tell if my car ever had a keyless remote. i think the guy i bought it off of lost it.
jeter1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:17 PM   #6
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Markgase2000

Berfore you replace your tranny , check your fuses. Look on the fuse box diagram , find anything that says trans or auto trans , if a fuse is burned it will basically smash into gear and wont down shift properly. Just tryin to save you money and a tranny.
Markgase2000 is offline   Reply With Quote