Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
doctorhrdware
AF Enthusiast

Unhappy 2000 Silverado 1500

2000 Silverado 1500 5.3L engine with approximately 167000 miles. The alternator has been acting up. This is the first day with good with no rain, and not feeling very under the weather. So this is the first time that I could look at the truck to see what is going on. What I found it the wire from the plug that goes to the alternator ground lug has broken off. Will that cause that alternator to act up. Some times you will get a battery warning light and other times it will show that it is working properly. I am wondering if that will kill the alternator and will I have to replace the alternator or will I get lucky and all I have to do is reconnect the wire to the grounding lug on the alternator, and be done with it. Also should I change the belt tensioner for serpentine belt and the idler pulley while I am at it. Since if that breaks we would be stranded on the side of the road.

BTW thanks in advance for any replies.
doctorhrdware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Silverado 1500

Examine the condition of your belt(unless you know how old it is. If tensioner original, then I would replace it when you do the belt. Other pulleys, see if they rotate freely. Without a good ground. You stand the chance of damaging your alternator and killing your battery.
doctorhrdware (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
doctorhrdware
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
Examine the condition of your belt(unless you know how old it is. If tensioner original, then I would replace it when you do the belt. Other pulleys, see if they rotate freely. Without a good ground. You stand the chance of damaging your alternator and killing your battery.
The smail ground to the alternator is good but this is like the 18 gauge from the plug that is plug into the alternator then to the ground lug on the side of the alternator. So I am thinking that the alternator should be ok. I am going out there now and fix the wire and see what happens. The wife did get new belts the main serpentine and the ac belt since that broke last winter.

Last edited by doctorhrdware; 06-06-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhrdware View Post
The mail ground to the alternator is good but this is like the 18 gauge from the plug that is plug into the alternator then to the ground lug on the side of the alternator. So I am thinking that the alternator should be ok. I am going out there now and fix the wire and see what happens. The wife did get new belts the main serpentine and the ac belt since that broke last winter.
all grounds need be properly secured or you will need a new PCM[computer]..........

with the wiring secure and proper the dash light intermittent with the battery light on is with these the alternator regulator. these get corroded over time . measure the battery volts . 13.75 -14.25 engine hot ,, 14.75 engine cold .

If the voltage is lower then get a NEW not rebuilt alternator. The new alternators have the updated regulator .also rebuilt alt. have a very high failure rate.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
doctorhrdware (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
doctorhrdware
AF Enthusiast

Well the output voltage of the alternator was 11.5 Vdc which is too low. So I ended up putting the new alternator that the wife bought yesterday. I did not get completely finished with the complete installation yesterday. It was getting too dark and the mosquitos were getting to bad also. So I am going to head out a little later today and get the rest of the job done. I am waiting for the temp to get higher so I don't get cold, so I don't get any sicker than I am right now.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Well the output voltage of the alternator was 11.5 Vdc which is too low. So I ended up putting the new alternator that the wife bought yesterday. I did not get completely finished with the complete installation yesterday. It was getting too dark and the mosquitos were getting to bad also. So I am going to head out a little later today and get the rest of the job done. I am waiting for the temp to get higher so I don't get cold, so I don't get any sicker than I am right now.
just remember new,,,, NOT rebuilt !
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
doctorhrdware (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
doctorhrdware
AF Enthusiast

Well I had my son helping me with the work on the truck. But he did not tell me that The AC belt tensioner was locked up. I found out when I started the truck. The truck started smoking, I thought it was on fire but when the belt pop then I knew that the tensioner was locked up. So I need to get a new AC Belt and Tensioner to fix the AC. So Now I know last year what was causing the swishing noise was, it was caused by the tensioner going bad that causing the noise when the air was on.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Well I had my son helping me with the work on the truck. But he did not tell me that The AC belt tensioner was locked up. I found out when I started the truck. The truck started smoking, I thought it was on fire but when the belt pop then I knew that the tensioner was locked up. So I need to get a new AC Belt and Tensioner to fix the AC. So Now I know last year what was causing the swishing noise was, it was caused by the tensioner going bad that causing the noise when the air was on.
the ac belt pulleys are down low . in the rust belt this is a common problem. what you and others don't know is this design is a defective one. in cold climates the compressor should be mounted high not low. liquid refrigerant will collect in the compressor then when the compressor turns on the valves get damaged trying to pump/compress the liquid refrigerant.

back in the old days all of these ac compressors where mounted up high . they lasted a very long time . rarely did a compressor need replacing. today these are big sellers. so what I AM GETTING AT IS MAKE SURE the compressor is not locked up.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado