Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Articles > Technical Corner > Car of the Week
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #16
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago
Re: Nick Wong's 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by aves911
LOL, I am by no means calling down the thunder I would never claim that a $30,000 sports sedan is equilavent to a $60,00+ stuffed flagship sports car.
Around $35,000 back when they were new.

Quote:
As far as Evo's running 11's on the stock turbo I know of Burschur off the top of my head. People are entitled to their own opinion and in the midwest, if you own a DSM, Dave and Tim are the guys to go to. So I trust what they say.
I havent seen anyone able to backup Buschers numbers....so thats why I called you out on the "plenty of Evos running 11's on stock turbos". Robert Fullers car with Buschers stuff.... wasn't even close to what Buscher claimed in HP..... wait till USCC 04 comes out... you will see.

Quote:
My only point in the previous post was that there are plenty of 4G63 powered cars putting down comparable numbers (ET's) to GT-R 's.
Evos are doing really well on Tsukuba circuit. GT-R's did well for a long time. Hard to put all the power a GT-R can put down - down. The HKS car - its full carbon fiber body.... its like calling a Nascar Ford Taurus - A Ford Taurus.

ET wise... Quickest GT-R on street tires - 8.55 @ 165 mph - Croydon Wholesalers in NZ. On Slicks - HKS has gone 7.6@180 mph. Mario has gone low 8's.

Quote:
As far as road circuits, I could be wrong but I think SCC just ran a feature story on the two fastest road course cars they had ever tested. One of them was a GT-R and the other was HKS's Evo.
During the Time Attack Challenge - the Signal GT-R was quickest by several seconds in comparision to US tuned Evos. Well - the Sparco /Apex car is as close to Japanese tuned as you can get.

Quote:
But again, not to step on anyone's toes. They are both great machines. After all, you gotta stick up for the cars/engines that you own.
So then - when we have one of each...... does it mean I know what I am talking about ?
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:45 AM   #17
aves911
Massive Genius

Send a message via AIM to aves911
Quote:
Around $35,000 back when they were new.
From what I've seen online the list price for the GT-R ranged from $45,000 USD when the R32 was introduced in 89 to $89,500 USD for the R34. Again, just what I've seen. You would probably know better. But I just can't see the Evo and GT-R in the same price range.

Quote:
.... its like calling a Nascar Ford Taurus - A Ford Taurus
I don't know a whole lot about NASCAR but from the looks of the cars and in some technical reading I've done. I believe NASCAR cars are custom built tube frame chassis, they have different engines than a stock version, redesigned suspension (i.e. custom control arms to create precise camber curves, proper location of the ball joints...yadda yadda) They have a different drive train layout, the only thing that resembles the factory version of the car is how well they can paint the headlights on the body.

The HKS car while having a full carbon body, still used the 4G63, factory drivetrain, and factory suspension design. So while a carbon body saves massive weight and makes for - as I can only imagine - a much nimbler car. Comparing the HKS Evo and a factory Evo to a NASCAR Taurus and factory Taurus is extreme. However, point noted that the HKS Evo had an impossible amount of weight reduction.

As far as Buschur goes, at this point it's just speculation, no point in talking about it further.

In the time attack challenge, the HKS Evo didn't run, and the Signal GT-R was 2 seconds quicker than the Sparco Evo, but they were in different classes.

Which again brings me to my point that I never claimed that at either bone stock or the highest echelons of modification the Evo is a superior to the GT-R. With each car you get what you pay for. However the Evo or a DSM can be made to go just as fast and handle just as well as most GT-R's.

Quote:
So then - when we have one of each...... does it mean I know what I am talking about ?
Of course you know what you are talking about, that was never in question. I was just trying to point out as I am now, that I'm not trying to start an arguement. Just reiterating that the Evo can be just as capable on the tarmac as a GT-R and has the added bonus off being able to frolic in the dirt as well. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear.

and aves911 keeps correcting him"
aves911 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Articles > Technical Corner > Car of the Week