Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #91
Pyrogenics
AF Newbie

Re: Best sleeper cars

OK, I can’t handle the stupidity anymore. I am going to clarify this for some people who are obviously retarded. Camaros, FireHawks, Cobras, Supras, 300ZX’s, BMWs, Chargers, Vipers, Porsches, Ferraris, and any other car known to be a sports car with a V-8 or V-6 that was marketed as a sports car is not a god damned sleeper. I just wanted to clarify that with the people saying their Turbocharged Eclipses, AWD Mitsu 3000s, and other idiots who think your car is a sleeper. It's not a sleeper and you’re retarded.

Sleepers also do not have huge body kits whale tale spoilers and etc. The idea is it is supposed to look Plain Jane and stock. No bling, no big chromed out wheels, no neon kits, no huge attention grabbing “Hey look at this car!” features. A sleeper is supposed to be like a wolf in sheep’s clothing. The only time it is supposed to draw attention is when you slam on the gas. It should otherwise be looked upon as normal from the outside at best. If it looks puny and like a girly car with no acceleration it’s even better.

The idea is you take your sleeper and race the guy who has the sports car and thinks he is all of that and a bag of chips. If he is a real sucker you race him for pink slips and take his car away. So you are not going to convince this same guy to race you for pink slips and fool him rolling up in your 911 Porsche Carrera, a macked out Camaro, Skyline or a car that screams hey look I am modified so heavily on the outside take a look at my engine bay because it’s modified too. I had to clarify that again for the retards.

Here is my dream sleeper listed below.
This would also be classified as a perfect definition of a sleeper.
Take the ultimate girly car that has no balls, AKA the Miata. In stock form can't accelerate for shit. I would be surprised if your grandma with her walker could probably beat it in a quarter mile. The only thing the car has going for it stock is its curb weight and handling. As noted on http://www.miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf or if you feel more comfy look it up on the manufacturer's website.

I want you to notice the following:
· 1.6L DOHC 16v engine (116 hp, 100 ft-lb MT) (105 hp, 100 ft-lb auto)
· 1.8L DOHC 16v engine (128 hp, 110 ft-lb)
· 1.8L DOHC 16v engine (133 hp, 114 ft-lb)

If it was any worse you would think they put a lawn mower engine in it as a stock engine.

In order to fix this problem you need to tear the Engine and the Tranny out. You might also want to scrap the brakes and add a few subtle features but don’t make them visible from outside the car. If they are seen from the outside they need to be down played and hidden if possible.

Now stuff a supercharged Ford V-8 5.0, a 5 speed tranny, and a limited slip in it courtesy of Monster Miata www.monstermiata.com “One of the “Mega Monsters” reported in at 175 mph during the Silver State race in Nevada. The car was supercharged and had around 400 hp. The final drive ratio was 3.27:1. The 5th speed overdrive ratio was .80.” They even have more options like putting Edelbrock racing engines in it.

Take a look at this video you can see it for yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsh4cEhEWlg

If it was my dream car I would have it all painted black and tinted limo black with out any chrome on it what so ever. Yes, I mean the rims too I would want them powder coated flat black. If I get a racing exhaust with a flat black finish and put a silencer on it I would do it. All of the money that would have been dumped into bling and superficial eye candy would be dumped back into the engine, suspension, brakes, transmission and performance of the car.

This is what a sleeper is. The other perks of having a sleeper is less attention from would be thieves and vandals because the car looks so plain and boring why not pick a car with something worth breaking into? Cops will pay less attention to you also during normal traveling because your car is not screaming “Hey look at me I desperately want a ticket. Please pull me over even if I am going 1 mph over the speed limit.” This all means lower insurance payments too.
Pyrogenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #92
williz57
AF Newbie

1989 Ford Taurus SHO 220hp Yamaha DOHC High reving 3300lb 145 mph. Great handling & balance. not a drag racer. Easy to drive fast.
williz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #93
deadbolt_35
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to deadbolt_35

since the only threads getting any attention are those being brought back from the dead I guess I'll contribute.

I remember reading an article in motortrend a few years ago (okay, probably like ten years ago) where a company had modded a new VW beetle. They installed an Audi awd system and did an engine swap. i don't remember the specifics, but when all was said and done it could do 0-60 in 4 seconds flat and it looked totally stock from the outside.

That's about the girliest car there is and it could own just about any modern musclecar

Here's a geography lesson: I live in Ely, Nevada. No, that's not by Vegas, it's not hot like Vegas, it's not a desert wasteland like Vegas. I live at 6500 ft. I'm surrounded by mountains. It's really cold in the winter, and never gets above 100 in the summer.
deadbolt_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #94
TheSprunk
AF Newbie

Not sure this qualifies, but I owned a 1979 3/4ton Chevy Cargo Van that was an absolute beast. Despite being all metal, there was nothing in it but Engine, Transmission, and two front seats so it was actually pretty light. Combine that with a 6.6L Big Block V8 and it beat pretty much anything (at least up to 80mph, then it was like driving a wall) short of a bon-a-fide sports/race car. Most notable race was against a newer Mustang GT (07ish). There's nothing like pulling up to a guy with a 30 day tag on his brand spanking new Mustang GT sports car in a big ol' rusted '79 cargo van and blowing their doors off :P Kinda felt sorry for the guy.

As far as actual cars go I have to actually say a Civic or Accord. They've earned such a strong rep as being a joke of a car because so many people "rice" them out instead of properly tuning them. They're actually pretty decent tuners if you do it right and invest the time and money.

Also, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. People look at them and think its just a big sedan, dont realize just how powerful those things are stock, much less the potential they have. It takes surprisingly little money to get some serious power out of one those.
TheSprunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #95
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Cool Re: Best sleeper cars

Wow, this is a long (old) thread! I didn't have time to read thru the whole thing, but if the HHR SS has not been mentioned it should be! I can't believe how fast this thing is and I don' think hardly anyone out there is aware of it.

I have seen the jaws drop on almost everyone I clue in that little boxy Chevy has 290HP in this little 2.0 Ecotec turbo! I have the stage-1 upgrade kit installed and it will run high 13s in the quarter at near 100mph. Top speed is about 150mph!

http://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/file...4/PICT0354.JPG

'08 Chevy HHR SS, Victory Red, 5 spd. 2.0L Turbo, 52K mi.
'98 Buick Riviera, Black, 3.8L Super-Charged, 228K mi.
'98 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.7 Vortec, Black 241K mi.
'70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400, 4spd 200k+ mi., in process restoration
'10 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 11K mi.

sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #96
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Last edited by oldblu65; 06-26-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: iLlitEraCy/
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #97
deadbolt_35
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to deadbolt_35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMan92 View Post
MazdaSpeed6 can hold its own with the best of them
it can't even hold its own against the 2010 basic Mazda 6 (V6)

Here's a geography lesson: I live in Ely, Nevada. No, that's not by Vegas, it's not hot like Vegas, it's not a desert wasteland like Vegas. I live at 6500 ft. I'm surrounded by mountains. It's really cold in the winter, and never gets above 100 in the summer.
deadbolt_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #98
icila
AF Newbie

I'm not entirely sure if this counts but...I saw a VW Cabriolet, pretty girly looking car if you ask me, but the guy did some tuning with it and it was pretty funny to see him smoke that Torino
icila is offline   Reply With Quote