Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Chad1964
AF Newbie

Electrial Problem!

Hi all not sure i will get an answer but its worth a try!
Long story, but! I will try and keep it short. Few months back I was putting my alternator back in..I forgot to disconnect battery terminals and Power supply wire from alternator touched Car Creating spark at that point and down by my Solenoid(Starter) Area, as well as bit of smoke and smell!..What i noticed now is car will start but battery light stays on..the other day I left car idling for minute or so after a minute of idling wipers seemed to be moving slower then usual...dashboard lights dimmer...and heater not blowing fully as it did long time ago...then suddenly car seemed like it was gonna quit..(powering out) So i shut it off!!
So my Initial thought was alternator was gone! But after thinking about it...My power supply wasnt hooked up to alternator when i got the spark so how could I have fried the Alternator?
My car is a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 3.1 6cyl.
Any suggestions would be appreciated ty for your time!.
Chad1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Electrial Problem!

What probably happened was you shorted out your fuseable link to the alternator......with the link open, your alternator is not working(that's why the BAT light is on) and you basically are running on battery, until it dies....

You can easily check this......Take a test light, and ground it....touch the probe to the pos terminal of your battery....will be bright....now touch the large nut on the back of the alternator with the large red wire going to it.....it will probably not light, because the fuseable link is blown.....the link is attached to the large nut(BAT +) on your starter solenoid, and will have to be replaced...

Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Chad1964
AF Newbie

So far I think you have given me the best answer out of anyone i have gotten off the net in last few months..ty for that Tech!! I will definately try that..just got to go buy test light!...One question the fusible link must be attatched to the nut positive end of the solenoid eh?...so i would disconnect that and cut off after i believe a large end of the wire then shave off outer layer...and connect to new one by compressing it with plyers ?.. If that is the case i'd be laughing a fairly easy fix!..Are there 2 fusible's down there? One off the starter and one off the Solenoid?... thanks again..
Chad1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

You will disconnect your battery first.......

If there is more than one fuseable line, they will all be on the same BAT+ terminal on the solenoid......you must get the correct fuseable link for that circuit.....yes it's a simple crimp, but I prefer soldering....I use the crimps that have a hole in them to place the solder.....you will need an eyelet for the other end of the link.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva