Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
5greenmonkies
AF Newbie

96 Ranger - Electrical problems after overcharged battery

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger, 2.3L, Manual transmission, 2WD, 267K miles. My battery recently overheated due to the alternator overcharging it. Both the battery and alternator were replaced. Besides the horrible cabin smell of burned wires I have a few electrical problems. For the smell I am using the old 2 and 50 to remedy but even that is slow to resolve, lol!

I do need some help with the electrical problems. I have a SEEKONE scanner but nothing really popped up on it, definitely no codes popped.

Here is what works:

o Headlights, taillights, and brake lights all function normally.
o Engine Compartment Fuses – all seem fine.
o Blower, heater, and radio all work.

Electrical Problems:

o Cabin Fuses – a couple went bad so replaced them.

o Instrument cluster
--Only the battery and seat belt lights illuminate at engine start up. The seatbelt light flashes on and off while in park w/out seat belts on, but stays solidly lit with seat belts latched.
--None of the gauges function (fuel gauge, water temp, speedometer, oil pressure, or battery gauge).

o Dimmer Switch – Works for lights behind the instrument cluster but not the cabin/dome light.

o Cabin/Dome light - Inoperable

o Flashers and Hazard are inoperable and make a horrible buzzing sound when activated.
--Replaced blue flasher relay under dash (no change in operations)

o Wipers and water are inoperable. However, the headlight high beams function does work.

o Headlight warning buzzer/bell for "headlights on" when key is removed from ignition is inoperable.

If you have input/guidance on all or a part of these problems I thank you in advance.
5greenmonkies is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier